Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The 400 Lee Speed project rifle (and friend)

The charging bridge is riveted on and added to fascilitate the use of clips to load the magazine and adds nothing in the way of structural strength to the action. I only added this to the thread to show that the SMLE can be trimmed back to have a more sporting appearance --but if I was to use it, a 35-303 might be in order. With the safety removed it would revert to the earliest MLM style and use the half cock and user awareness although I haven't made a hard and fast decision to remove it as yet.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

What I like most about those rifles (without offending anyone)....is taking an action that simply isn't the best looking or svelte action available and turning it into a downright beautiful firearm. It's the main reason I did a Krag based custom gun. Many thought I might be a bit daffy but the completed rifle is pretty sharp. I did drive a smith nuts for a bit when I asked for a side swing safety but he figured it out rather nicely. If I didn't have too many projects going on now I'd be mighty tempted to have one like those two you did.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    The pictured cheek piece is a design used on English big bore rifles for open or express sights , straight stock to reduce felt recoil and the pancake flat cheek piece to support the face when sighting for a shot.
    My 500 NE Boswell double rifle (circa 1905) has the same design cheek piece and the stock on a Holland and Holland 375H&H magnum that I owned some years ago was made furnished with the same design cheek piece.
    Both rifles are/were very comfortable to shoot with out feeling over bearing recoil.
    Splinter fore end , pancake cheek piece on a straight stock , with most of the weight between the forward hand and the wrist giving a good balance to the rifle makes all the difference to the handling and recoil of a big game rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Von Gruff View Post
    The charging bridge is riveted on and added to fascilitate the use of clips to load the magazine and adds nothing in the way of structural strength to the action. I only added this to the thread to show that the SMLE can be trimmed back to have a more sporting appearance --but if I was to use it, a 35-303 might be in order. With the safety removed it would revert to the earliest MLM style and use the half cock and user awareness although I haven't made a hard and fast decision to remove it as yet.
    Would you go with a "regular" 35-303 or an "improved" version?

A friend has both the 35-303 and the epps 303 reamer but I think the 35-303 would make a great cast bullet shooter so that would be the way I would go. If I was going to be shooting jacketed bullet to potential I would look at the epps chamber for the 303
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Would you go with a "regular" 35-303 or an "improved" version?
    So, I have just had a 35 Krag done up and had the chance to shoot it for the first time Monday.

The 30-40 Krag was almost certainly a copy for all intents and purposes of the 303 holding 1-2 grains more H2O and 5 grs more bullet in its debut guise. The shoulder has about 10 degrees more slope on the 303 as I recall. Both have quite a bit of body taper, typical of the 29th century military cartridge.

With initial conservative loads built off lower mid level 358 Win loads and a Speer 250 grs HCSP, I was getting 2200 fps. I am confident that I can work up slowly and carefully to lower mid 35 Whelen performance.

Ackley found that the 30-40 delivered among the greatest velocity improvements of all the improved cartridges, undoubtedly because of the capacity increases allowed for by sloping shoulders and a good amount of body taper. Given that the body taper of the 303 is also substantial and the shoulders substantially more sloping, the velocity improvements could be greater for the 303 than the 30-40.

But Ackley guessed at pressure spikes with the MkI eyeball and seemed to think if you weren't on the edge of case rupture, you were a big girl's blouse.

There's a case to be made that removing body taper will diminish breach face thrust and diminish pressure impact. Maybe.

The 35-303 Improved will be very close to the 35 Whelen and loaded to potential, will likely exceed 55, 000 psi. Something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post

The 35-303 Improved will be very close to the 35 Whelen and loaded to potential, will likely exceed 55, 000 psi. Something to consider.
    Agreed, however I think 35-40K psi is more reasonable for the #1, Mk III action I've got.

Left as a 303 it can do more than enough with a cast bullet. This is my 190gn bullet

With Q/L pressure data

Not sure that any more than this would be needed
    Von Gruff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Agreed, however I think 35-40K psi is more reasonable for the #1, Mk III action I've got.
    In which case the 35-303 will be a treat. 200 grs at @2500 within your pressure parameters. 250 grs at 2200. I have found 35 WCF probably the best fit for comparable load data for the 35 Krag. Would also work for the 35-303, just keep in mind that some older data for the 35 EFF may have been before changes in the given powder and that max charges are more conservative these days. Starting from 45 grs 4064 or 4895 with 250s an working up slowly is a good plan.

An excellent cartridge and an historic wildcat. Enjoy!

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I am going through the same drama (with the magazine). None of the relevant photos are viewable, if any of the magazine inserts still exist, please repost them.

Thanks

I have a pattern of magazine insert I can post . It works well with both 375/303 and the shortened 405 I put together .

This thread is going to get printed and put with all the other information that has intrigued and taught me various things before I begin making a stock for my generational hand me down SMLE .303 sporter. A knowledgeable post that I can actually use on my project, and enjoy reading at the very least. I respect the craft wholeheartedly and am slowly beginning to dabble in it myself. Well I appreciate the thread entirely and thank you, Mr. Von Gruff for the time and effort put forth!

Cheers!
    Take pride in everything you do, or not, you do what you think's right, I'll do what I think's right

"Lady if you weren't a nun, I'd let you save your own bacon."
    -Hogan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456