Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Custom Flintlock

Boolit Buddy

Custom Flintlock

As posted on another forum.
    Gday Gents.
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a custom left handed flinter made up. But finding a muzzleloader gunsmith down under isn't going so well so far.
    So I might have to look overseas, namely the US.
    So if any of you fine Gents can recommend someone to me, that'd be appreciated.
    Obviously I'd like someone with a good reputation for communication and quality of work and be willing to export.
    The ideas I have for a custom job are not that exceptional, a full wood left handed flinter in .58 cal, twist to suit a prb etc etc
    Last edited by peter72; 03-01-2015 at 09:43 PM.

In Remembrance
    Are there restrictions on shipping muzzloaders to you? I have a .54 caliber Isaac Haines style left hand flintlock rifle made by Jones and Garner, well known builders here. It is called the "Grand Rifle" and you can search it out. I can send you pictures if you send me your email address, we can talk if you are interested. Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Perm-Banned
    sounds like you hit the jackpot, have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't know about hitting the jackpot haha. Would just like a nice lh flinter. If Pedersoli made a lh flinter jaeger I'd buy one of those but they've told me they aren't making them in lh.

Boolit Master
    I have no idea about the government permitting/importing issues involved. Also, I'd think the basic shipping would be expense. There are quite a few builders here in the US who could build one but all in all the total cost might get very high.

Another possibility. You could get some guidance from suppliers here, order a kit and build it yourself there… maybe with some help from a local smith. Shipping a completed long rifle is problematic because of it's length causing a greater potential for breakage. There would be less of a potential for damage with the somewhat shorter package of a kit with the barrel and stock separated in the kit package. A kit with most of the critical inletting and basic stock shaping already done is not too difficult to build with some basic tools, research and skill. Patience being one of the best assets. You may not be interested in that, just another option.

Perma-Banned
    unless he's lookin' for a 1/2 stock the kit gun won't be any shorter.

My Caywood English Game Gun is my favorite flintlock rifle. Danny Caywood is very good to work with, and his guns are outstanding. He regularly makes left-handed guns, and there are photos of left-hand English Game Guns on his web site.

http://www.caywoodguns.com/index.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies gents. Kit rifles into Australia need to be assembled prior to it being passed by customs. Something to do with making sure it's in working order. I know I know, you guys are scratching your head as to the logic.
    I've emailed Tennessee Valley muzzleloaders and see if they want my business. A lovely example of a Jaeger there.

Boolit Master
    These guys have a few rifles for sale all the time. Patience will find a left handed version.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Head over to muzzle loader builder supply and have them mail you the parts, and do it yourself.

Make sure you get a swamped barrel, I prefer Rice barrels, personal preference

Between books and you tube, it will be easy
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    unless he's lookin' for a 1/2 stock the kit gun won't be any shorter.
    Yes, half stock shorter. Full stock longer. However, a fully assembled gun, especially a fully finished and assembled gun of this nature will have greatest risk of breakage in the wrist area- no matter half stock or full stock. Less so, if the barrel is separated from the stock for shipping- no matter the OAL.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want one built (and you're into the longrifle style), there are some great gun makers in PA, and I know at least one has shipped internationally in the past.

My custom longrifle was built by Allen Martin, and I know he's shipped guns to Germany already, so I'm sure he could help you out if it's permissible to ship to your country from here. He is great with his customers, and I got tons of communication from him throughout the process, and pics periodically (didn't ask, he would just send them from time to time).

Some other great Pennsylvania builders that come to mind (where the long rifle developed, anyway!), in no particular order:

-Mark Wheland
    -Mitch Yates
    -Ron Luckenbill
    -Chris Lobach

These just are what comes to mind just now, but there are many, many more.

You could also look up the CLA (Contemporary Long Rifle Association) on the web, and see who they list.

Tvm rifles are above reproach and very reasonably priced. I own several. Mike Lange use to build rifles and I got mine before he stopped. He would have been my first choice if he were still building. Most others are priced out of my league although the builders do wonderful custom work.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe of the ones I referenced, Mitch Yates and Ron Luckenbill tend to be lower cost than the others. I've handled both Yates' and Luckenbill's work (met them both, too, as I live in Pennsylvania, so I get to attend events here in PA frequently), and they make very, very nice rifles.

I know for what I've been quoted on a few pieces of Ron's work, they were about twice the cost of a comparable TVM rifle, but it will be fully custom in every sense of the word.

Boolit Master
    On the subject of Left Handed flinters.If you do not want any cast on the Stock then a Right hander will do used from the left shoulder.Think of a Double Flinter,no matter what side you shoot from there is always a lock on your side.

Boolit Buddy
    Still thinking about the TVM. Anyone else have any input on these? The options I want are all there and they certainly look good.