RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: North Eastern Coyote hunting

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Nice! That's way bigger then my drunk one!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Got 4 this morning. The snow is melting and the yotes are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Nice!! Fist pumps for you! That's 4 good coyotes! Bet they're hungry after the long winter...

Share your secrets. Haha.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vmathias View Post
    I have found the North eastern Coyote is a VERY difficult animal to hunt. I have read much literature and own many videos on hunting these Wiley creatures to know avail. Called a bobcat and many fox but am yet to call in a coyote.
    Try a sqeaker call.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree they are tough in the east however it can be done
    you are doing things rite for the most part just not seeing any at the time you are out
    they may be in a different area
    breeding this time of year
    try coyote vocals keep the rabbit call in yer pocket
    howling and other coyote sounds may bring em in
    make your stands more frequent sound don't carry like in the open
    try not to over call a spot switch it up
    you are probably calling them in just not seeing them keep after em your luck will change
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

My experience is only with those here on the west coast so i dont know if it carries over. But I tried many times at first with no luck at all. I used both mouth calls and an electronic call with all the usual stuff i read on the internet. Rabbit distress, howling, etc. Never could call anything with them. Then I thought to myself, "there's tons of ground squirrels here". Those squirrel chirps from my e-caller have worked better than ANYTHING else I have tried in my area. Small injured bird call is a close second. I really would have figured the coyotes would prefer the bigger meal, but they (and a bobcat here and there) come in to those little squeaks, on lower volume at that. I think the cottontail/ jackrabbit distress had been heavily burned out in many areas. Good luck, I need to get out there myself soon as my dad's been spotting alot of coyotes wandering on their ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I agree they are tough in the east however it can be done
    you are doing things rite for the most part just not seeing any at the time you are out
    they may be in a different area
    breeding this time of year
    try coyote vocals keep the rabbit call in yer pocket
    howling and other coyote sounds may bring em in
    make your stands more frequent sound don't carry like in the open
    try not to over call a spot switch it up
    you are probably calling them in just not seeing them keep after em your luck will change
    This time of year I usually start out with a female coy howl. Then Ill go into a rabbit distress followed up with pair yips and howls then Coyote pup distress. Ill throw in a mouse squeak at the end. I think I am getting a tad carried away with call volume. I called in a monster Bobcat with a loud rabbit distress and have called in MANY red fox and raccoons with the rabbit distress and Red fox distress again at high volumes. Usually I can get Reds to hang at the call walking back and forth for up to 10 Minutes. Have some cool pics of this. That may just be my Achilles heal. I will try to run the volume on my foxpro starting around 5 then slowly working my way up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFishGuy View Post
    My experience is only with those here on the west coast so i dont know if it carries over. But I tried many times at first with no luck at all. I used both mouth calls and an electronic call with all the usual stuff i read on the internet. Rabbit distress, howling, etc. Never could call anything with them. Then I thought to myself, "there's tons of ground squirrels here". Those squirrel chirps from my e-caller have worked better than ANYTHING else I have tried in my area. Small injured bird call is a close second. I really would have figured the coyotes would prefer the bigger meal, but they (and a bobcat here and there) come in to those little squeaks, on lower volume at that. I think the cottontail/ jackrabbit distress had been heavily burned out in many areas. Good luck, I need to get out there myself soon as my dad's been spotting alot of coyotes wandering on their ranch.
    You may have hit the nail on the head. Think Ill try a woodpecker distress next time I go out with some coy vocals.

Are you using eastern or western coyote calls on that FoxPro?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Are you using eastern or western coyote calls on that FoxPro?
    I have approx 100 sounds. I usually use Baby cottontail,Young cottontail, Eastern, DSG, Mouse squeaker, Coyote howls, Pup distress etc. I do have snow shoe rabbit jackrabbit etc but do not use them.

I've killed two. One a couple of years ago with a 25.06 while I was deer hunting and one a month ago with a 1995 Honda Accord. The one with the 25.06 stop moving just a few seconds before I shot.... the one with the car was moving... till the bumper hit him.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

This time of year I mostly use yeps and howls. If it's a bright sunny day I use squeals. Later on I will go with rabbit. In the summer most anything goes.

This time of year I mostly use yeps and howls. If it's a bright sunny day I use squeals. Later on I will go with rabbit. In the summer most anything goes.
    I know around here March is the hot and heavy breeding time for them. I will try coyote vocalizations and some woodpecker distress.

Boolit Master

Bait!!!
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master

Too many coydogs around here, partner with a shotgun watching downwind a very good idea. Coyotes around here love a distressed rabbit call.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    In Wis. where I hunt I stay on stand for an hour at least this 15 min thing is nice if your calling big country
    I have killed em quick and have them come at the end of the stand been busted a bunch as well
    a partner is a good idea and a extra eye down wind helps
    call where they are sounds simple but a good looking area may be just that
    this time of year you can smell where they have been their scent marking and scat is awesome
    tried to kill a huge male but he would always get in a better position than me called him in twice no luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    Rich Cronk a former member here (passed away) use to make a awesome hand call called the killer call
    its a real good call
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    Bait!!!
    Not sure its legal to bait in Pa. Have to check the game laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Back in the 70s fur prices were high. I called in a lot of fox with an electronic call. Several years later I decided to take up coyote calling. Bought a Lohmans call and some cassette's and started hunting. It's a good thing I like to hunt. The first few years seemed to be an effort in futility.
    I may have averaged a dog every 20 sets or so. If one did come in I was always surprised.
    I called at full volume.

One day while placing an order with Burnham Bros I saw they had a small mouth call advertised. It's called the mini blaster.According to them this was the call used by more professional coyote hunters than any other. It was just 10 bucks at the time so I ordered one.

It showed up on a Friday and I thought it sounded pretty good. Saturday morning found me on a rock pile with a good field of view. A few squeaks and to my surprise here comes a coyote. The first four sets I made with this call all produced a dead dog.

Its not uncommon anymore for me to make several sets without calling up a dog. I average a dog about every four or five sets but I still may make 20 set without seeing anything.

Anymore though I expect to see action at every set.

Once I started calling up coyotes is when I started learning how to hunt them. Here are some of the things I've learned.

I walk at least 1/4 mile from my truck. 1/2 mile is better. They are very much in tune with their surroundings.

I sneak in like I was stalking a deer. I believe it's 4 times harder to call one up with two people than it is by myself.

When hunting with a partner no human words are spoke after we leave the truck.

When set up I call as softly as I can. Many times there will be a coyote there while the call is still in my mouth. After 5 min or so I call a little louder. 5 min or so later I call pretty loud. As a general rule if there's not a dog there in 10 min there ain't one coming. But I have had several come in a barreling after 30 min so I stay at least that long.

I try to call from downwind of where I think one might be but I have to be able to see downwind of me. Coyotes will come in hard from upwind but will circle downwind before closing the deal. Some will circle 100 yds out, some 15 yds out but most at around 25 to 45 yds out.
    If it gets downwind you'll only get a Mach one running shot.

Coyotes can only see straight in front of their nose. If he's looking at you don't move. If your completely still you can be wearing hunter orange and he won't see you. If his nose is not pointed directly at you and especially if he's moving you can turn completely around and he probably won't see you.

His eyes and ears will sometimes lie to him but his nose is a force to be reckoned with.

Their never still for very long and when the hair is off their not a very big target. They are the hardest critter to consistently make good shots on that I've ever hunted.
    They were also the most difficult critter to learn how to hunt that I've ever hunted. This is one of the many reasons I love them so much.

Good hunting
    Woody
    Excellent post packed with valuable info for us noobz. Lurkin and lurnin! Thank you Woody.