MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Speed cappers

Boolit Master

Speed cappers

There are lots of cappers out there for sure. What is your favorite?
    I,m looking to buying a good one for the one I have is 30 years ole.

Fly

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Heck, that is just getting broke in! I have a Tedd Cash capper, that I have had for probably 40 years. Still works just fine I imagine, although I haven't fired my caplock in years.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

K.I.S.S. - if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it............

The best cappers IMO are those that have a solid support for forcing the cap onto the nipple. The Ted Cash cappers have a flat piece of brass to support the cap but it can bend with a tight fitting cap. I prefer those with an angled ("L" shaped) piece of brass supporting the cap. They usually have a single steel spring rather than the two steel springs of the Ted Cash. Also note how I have shaped the tips of the spring lips and brass so I can get the capper farther into the nipple cutout to seat caps onto Remington nipples. Colts have much more room for capping so the non steel spring (all brass) capper will do fine for Colts but won't get into the Remington nipple recesses as there is not enough room without hogging out the area to make room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CappersBottomView.jpg   CappersTopView.jpg  
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Yes, the best ones will have spring steel clip(s) and backer plate for firmly seating the cap onto the nipple. Also the plunger (follower) needs to fit the rectangular tube correctly so it is non-binding and smoothly pushes each cap into the clip. I have a few accumulated cappers and the one I use is as described above but it is unmarked and I do not know the brand- got it 20-30 years ago. ?

For musket nipples I just use a shallow bag or box and seat them by hand.

Boolit Buddy

I don't use a capper... I simply nap the flint a bit.:
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Master
    Fly; you don't say what firearm we're talking about, and that matters. For the relatively low volume shooting you do with a rifle, it doesn't matter much. IF the cap-to-nipple fit is good, and the caps run through the capper OK, that's about all you need. You don't use much pressure to seat a proper fitting cap, so if you think need a stronger capper for pushing the caps on, you actually need a better cap fit, IMO.

For the higher round counts we usually rack up using a revolver, I think that a Ted Cash snail capper is the only way to go, at least until someone comes up with a similar one that fits Remington revolvers better. I had to modify mine slightly at the tip so it would work on an un-modified Remington. I have the Remingtons, Colt Navys and a Colt 36 Police, and all I use anymore for the pistols is the snail capper. It holds 100 caps, and therefore, at least so far, I've never had to refill a caper in the field.

If you get an in-line capper, look carefully at how the lanyard loop is attached to the rear block, or rear plug. I've had to drill through the brass so the steel lanyard loop fits clean through, and also I've had to solder the brass plug into the capper so it can't pull out. Typically the rear plug is just lightly staked in place, and the lanyard loops rely on the spring tension of the loop to hold it into shallow divets in the brass. I've lost a capper that way. If on the other hand all you ever do is shoot from a table at a fixed position at a shooting range, then a lanyard, and the strength of the lanyard system, don't matter a whit.