RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 63 grain NEI 224 dia mold?

Boolit Bub

63 grain NEI 224 dia mold?

I looked and the blurry pictures feom NEI on my tablet weren't helping. I snagged what is claimed to be a 63 grain NEI mold in .224 diameter. it's got some scuffing on top like the sprue plate is too tight or it wasn't properly lubed, but no gouges. Does anyone us a mold like this?

Mainly using FMJ in my AR, but thought I'd give this one a try. I have a buddy whose dad will take it off my hands if I don't like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1425225371711-1116045695.jpg  
    Last edited by Psypher; 03-01-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Master

I would be interested if your buddy doesn't want it.

RB

Boolit Master
    I have a NEI plain base in a 2 cavity aluminum.It is marked .225-63. Looks like your mold. Mine cast at .227 with linotype.Never had much use for it in my 222 with a 14 inch twist. It does a little better in a 223 14 inch Contender with a 12 inch twist............Terry

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rhbrink View Post
    I would be interested if your buddy doesn't want it.

RB
    I'll bet. I snagged gas checks and all that he had cast with the mold. I'll try to run a few on a warm day and see how they turn out With wheel weights. i have 1 in 9 and 1 in 7 twist AR's available to me as well as a 1 in 10 bolt action

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot alot of 22 caliber boolits in my 22 K-Hornet and 223 Rem Contenders. I have found that linotype casts the best and produce the most accurate boolits.
    I have shot the Lee 55gr "Bator" boolit to 3,619 fps in my 223 cast of linotype and heat treated, then coated with Hi-Tek coating. Standard linotype works well to around 3,000 fps.
    I would at least water quench the WW boolits to obtain a harder alloy.

Boolit Bub
    I ice-water bath all of my bullets. Out of 6 moulds, I only have one that the bullets it produces really don't perform properly and that could be the result of a bad crimp, too much crimp, seating depth, or something else entirely. I'm going to take some time this Spring to try to figure out what the problem is.

I can't wait to see what this NEI will produce and how they'll perform. I think we'll break out the bolt action and the shorty Contender to test before I toss any into an AR.