WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: should I buy these molds ?

should I buy these molds ?

I reload, but I'm not a caster...yet.
    Would these be good molds to start with ?
    How much should I offer for the Lot ?
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    You will want to measure the throats of your revolver to be sure. If your throats slug out as a .358 then you will probably be good to go on the revolver.
    On the .45acp, if your groove diameter is .450-.452 then I would think you should be good. If it is a 1911, chances are it is. Seems like most folks on this forum have had a proper groove dia on their 1911s, even of various makes. It is still worth checking though.
    Aside from this rule of thumb, your guns will be the strongest advocate for what works. Pay what you think is fair, then get started. Good luck, enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like some good ones, if you don't need them someone around here will. Suspect the first one is for a .44 mag or Spl, not 45acp.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Get some NOE molds in the caliber that you want to shoot. They run about $70 each Lee handles work fine. More importantly they cast like they should and are a dream to work with. After you get some casting under your belt then you can get things like this. But, if you really want to jump at it, $35 for single cavity, $50 for double and about $70 for a four cavity used is a good price point. If your buying a "lot" reduce the price by about 30% of the individual cost and offer that.
    .357 should be for the 9mm
    .358 are 38/357 (semi wad, wad, and round nose)
    .429 to .430 are 44 Mag
    .452 are for 45 acp (semi wad, and round nose)
    Casting with hollow points/hollow bases molds are a labor of love and not for the faint of heart.
    Single cavities are great for rifles, but are a pain and take forever for a pistol.
    Just my $.02

I was thinking along the same lines, if I didn't use them they might be good molds for someone else here.... so if that's the case, I'll could make an offer on the lot based on the suggestion above.

I agree the first molds are for a .44. If you get a good deal on the lot you could sell the ones you don't need and that would put you the ones you want even cheeper. Molds can sell from $20 to $200 in a heart beat. Do the research before you offer. The only brand name I saw was Lyman. They are good stuff. Ebay is a good place for comparison shopping. Be sure to see what they sell for and not what people ask for. Just a tip from a pawn shop dude.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

the first group are H&G, all have handles

Boolit Master

Do you have any idea what they are asking for the lot? H&G moulds are great ones. Like the others are saying you could certainly trade them around or sell them here to get what you need or you can become a true caster and buy the firearms to match the mould.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt