Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Mag Rifle to Buy?

Did your guys' Rossi 92's feed the 310gr boolits out of the box or did you have to modify the rifles? thanks,
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFishGuy View Post
    Did your guys' Rossi 92's feed the 310gr boolits out of the box or did you have to modify the rifles? thanks,
    Sam
    No problem with the short oal crimp groove. If I use the long oal crimp groove I was getting some rough feeding. No mods on my Rossi. I wish it was made in the USA is the only drawback but at $400 it is a great gun.

I almost forgot that I had to grind the bead off the factory front sight for it to hit POA with big heavy Boolits.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Banned

I had a Ruger carbine here once to shorten the stock on but the man wanted to keep the same butt plate, quite a job. It was his daughters gun. Of course I had to shoot it!
    Found the magazine problem right off so I shot single shot with the LBT 320. At 50 it was not bad but I had to shoot my range backwards since the farmer behind was working his fields. I did not notice my big sycamore tree was in line, Good 20" diameter or more. I was shooting clear through it! Fun little gun but I hated looking for brass.

Boolit Master
    Tell you another one that gets my interest is the Henry Big Boy Carbine 44 mag.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Ruger carbine also uses a rotary magazine so there would be length limitation for it too.
    There probably would be an oal issue with them too, but not all the ruger carbines were rotary mag fed.

Boolit Master
    I saw one of the tube-fed ones at the gunshow here last weekend. They only wanted $1200 for it too. They had to keep it for that price.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    There probably would be an oal issue with them too, but not all the ruger carbines were rotary mag fed.
    Don't know about the .357 version, but the 77/44 is limited to 1.68" OAL by the magazine
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Don't know about the .357 version, but the 77/44 is limited to 1.68" OAL by the magazine
    I was talking about the semi auto, tube fed.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to a small, local gun show yesterday. A gentleman there had a pristine Ruger No. 3 in .44 magnum for sale. If I was not such a poor man I would have snapped it up on the spot.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Ruger 77/44. The only way I have found to shoot the 320 gr WFN was to do it single shot. Good luck.
    luvtn

Banned

My Marlin used to gripe me. I could feed and eject live rounds with heavy boolits but not a shorter, lighter one unless I shortened brass. I got rid of it because of the strange 1 in 38" twist. I complained to Marlin and they sent a copy of Greenhill to me. Went in the trash. I wanted them to install a new .444 barrel of 1 in 20" on my gun, chambered for the .44 but they asked if it was under warranty. What is THAT about??? Should be life time, not two years.
    I loved the feel and handling of the gun but sold it off to be remade to another caliber by Jack Huntington. I sent it to him.
    I bought a Remlin 30-30 and it is a shooter with no problems. I hope Remington brings back the 39 Mounty, best .22 ever made.

Marlin 44 mag is my vote in any configuration you like best. Smooth and accurate. Just remember to oversize cast. All of mine Micro or Ballard love .432
    I shoot BTB some over 310grains with H 110 and have great results in 1/38 twist just push them hard. My favorite is the 290 BTB lots of load data over on his site.
    Last edited by utahtrapper; 07-02-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting 310 grain dropped from a Lee 6 cavity mould. The Henry Big Boy Carbine just loves them. yes I have to seat deeper but if it feeds through theloading slot it wil cycle without issue. The accuracy of these Henry Big Boys is outstanding. I am huge fan of Unique and Universal for medium velocity loads.

Boolit Mold
    Have a 1894 cb that's a tack driver and is a great girl to carry. Its got an octagonal bbl so what could be better. A buddy of mine has a beautifully stocked 77/44 that ive been trying to get off him forever. Love that gun!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    are you sure?

my info tells me:

44 Mag 1 in 38"
    .444 Marlin 1 in 38" (original ejector)
    .444 Marlin 1:20" (extractor 2007 and later)

this from Graybeards....
    have you checked yours?
    I checked MINE. YOUR mileage may vary. H&R got barrels from all over and used several suppliers.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12