Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Mag Case Failure - This Is Interesting, At Least To Me

44 Mag Case Failure - This Is Interesting, At Least To Me

Back Story:
    I acquired a coupled of hundred 44 Mag brass a month or so ago and have been working up loads for a '94 Marlin with a 16" barrel. The brass was of unknown origin and I haven't a clue as to how many times it was reloaded nor with what. Given that the guy I got it from was what I would call "Interesting" I suspect that these things weren't loaded for mice if you know what I mean.

Currently:
    I've loaded these with several different powders always using starting loads and working up to mid level of the Lyman or Hodgdon data but no higher due to leading issues when I get too carried away. The boolit is a Lee 429-200RF sized to .431+ and weighing in at 211 grains. I do seat and crimp on the same die using a turret press as this has always served me well on 44 Special and 44 Magnum. The brass is always full length sized and two loads ago since I was seeing crimps not coming all the way out after firing I decided to anneal the brass using the drill method and annealing just the case mouth for approximately 3-4 seconds with the torch turned down to very low. During annealing the case rim never got too hot to touch and the brass was dumped into a bucket of water right off the drill.

So The Question Is:
    Since I'm admittedly not a "Rifle Person" I've never experienced a case head separation and typically pitch brass when the case mouth splits. Is what I'm looking at a case head separation? I'd always made the assumption that a case head failure happened lower on the brass than this which is a little below the mid point.

I'm assuming that there are those reading this that will tell me that I damaged the brass during annealing, I can't say I can completely deny that possibility but I was definitely cautious during annealing since we're not dealing with long bottle neck brass here.

I noticed no issue with this brass as I picked it up and stuck it in the shell holder. I only noticed the failure when I was wiping the cartridges down to box them. I'm guessing that the failure happened during the seating/crimping as the brass appears to be buckled to one side but I felt nothing out of the ordinary when loading. As you can probably tell, I don't get carried away with the crimp so if this happened during that stage I'd have to assume that the brass was pretty weak and thin at that area of the case.

Of course I'm not about to stick this thing in a gun and fire it as I have no desire to try to remove the front half of the brass from somewhere inside the barrel, not to mention that it probably would put my safety glasses to the test or worse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Failed44Mag01.jpg   Failed44Mag02.jpg   Failed44Mag03.jpg  

Banned

I never seen that even with brass loaded 40X. I would not shoot them.

Vendor Sponsor

You aren't annealing the cases, just twirling them in a flame too low to do anything. Annealing won't happen until they are near cherry red.

Likely that case has been fired in a pretty generous chamber allowing it to expand more than would be optimal and it expanded more in the area just off the thicker part of the webbing than anywhere else. If you tumble and clean your brass you can look down inside and see that thin part with the naked eye.

Also, if you got a crimp that isn't coming all the way out, the case mouth is likely into the chamfered part of the chamber, I'd be doing some checking of case lengths first off.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I have only seen 2 or 3 cases separate like that and never knew why.
    I doubt that you could have hurt the brass by annealing. If several of the brass in the batch have this problem, toss them all. Who knows what has happened in the earlier life of the brass.
    A sharp scratch can start a "worry fracture" from re-sizing and shooting several times. Maybe someones chamber has some kind of ring in it? Many possible speculations there but all are just that.

After looking at the picture and as best I can tell, that looks more like a pucker from pressing the crimp too hard.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Perhaps the case was not in the shell holder all the way when you seated the bullet. It happens.

Boolit Master
    That's what case separation looks like, but as you guessed, it normally happens farther down the case, just in front of the case head/case wall juncture. Notice that at the case head/case wall juncture on the case in your photo, there is a noticeable ring of color difference, just above that point is where case separation normally occurs. I've shot lots of 44 Mag and 45 Colt brass over the years and would expect a case to crack full length before a separation like that occurred. My guess, and it is just that, a guess, someone in time was reloading the cases and was not sizing them the full length of the chamber. I used to do that for a 44 Mag NEF rifle barrel which had a generous chamber as DougGuy spoke too. Even then, I would see the case mouth showing cracks before a separation occurred. However, this is reloading and many different types of failures are possible.

Boolit Master
    I have never seen that before. I am guessing here with these ideas:

1. You have the wrong shell holder in the ram allowing the case to be off center.
    2. It looks like the bullet is not crimped in the groove but slightly below it. This could possibly be placing excess pressure on the case.

It's curious it seems to be in the same place......

Years ago i had that happen to me shooting a friend's reloads. I was using a TC Contender in .44mag,opened the gun and pulled the bottom half of the case out,the other half came out easily,it was a mild reload and perhaps combined with the TC's design neither the gun was damaged or i hurt.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Grand Master

Take a paper clip and straighten it out one coil the bend a small L on the end oriented with the last coil of the paper clip. reach into the case and with the edge og the L feel for a groove inside the case. Im betting you will find one in the other cases as well. this is where the pressure is working causing a thinning of the case to seperation. I have had 308 seperate 3/8" up the body. If available look into the cases with a bore scope and "see" whats there. This brass may have been loaded many times or with hot loads. How does the head stamps look on the rim? sharp and crisp or faded thin and ironed out? If the faded look this also indicates heavy loads use. THe bore scopes make seeing this alot easier than secotioning a case or feeling for it.

Boolit Master
    I've had the same thing happen in a .357 magnum lever action. The separation was approximately at the same point as yours. The load I used was a moderate, though not hot .357 load. I don't recall how much the brass had been fired previously, but apparently too many times as it was obviously fatigued. The springy "give" in lever actions is conducive to stretching brass, but it can still be used quite a few times.

The incipient separation may have already started but be too small to notice unless one scrapes the inside of every case to feel the stretched spot. I suspect that is what happened in your situation and the various steps taken in reloading the case were just enough to aggravate the already weakened area and bring the separation to light. Check a bunch of your other cases closely on the inside using a sharp, hooked tool to feel possible separation, or just discard the lot, particularly if you don't know the case mileage.

bhn22
    It does appear to be compression related, but 44 mag brass simply isn't normally fragile laterally. Usually, if a case splits, it does in lengthwise. The pics remind me of old military rifle brass that was fired with corrosive primers. I suppose one potential scenario could be that the cases were tumbled repeatedly in Brasso, or some other ammonia based polish, then you had your crimping die set a little too deep, and the cases buckled and split. Normally, this only happens right at the base of the bullet. Whatever happened, I recommend tossing out the whole batch of brass and obtaining replacements.

Boolit Grand Master

What is the HS of the brass and how many loadings? Looks like fatigue to me. I've had a few over the years and the process of loading the brass brought it to light. Examine other brass carefully and if suspect, trash it. A few dollars saved is not worth bodily injury.

My hornet does that. Well, cases fired in another gun then fired in mine. The damage was from the other gun. Full length sizing and head spacing on the rim with just a little clearance. It's the thin case wall that determines where it will separate.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

Pull the boolit so you can see into the case. I would be interested in seeing that picture.

Boolit Master
    Somewhere in the gun room I have a baggie with several loaded/fired .44 magnum rounds that have exactly the same thing. This was a second time reload used in a Browning BL92. Had to take it to the 'smith to get the forward piece of the case out of the rifle and he had a helluva time getting it out. I think he used cerrosafe to do it...don't recall. Remington brass if memory serves. I do know it was full length re-sized and a max load out of Speers manual. Audie...the Oldfart..

Drill a hole in a wood block, insert the case into the hole and cut the case with a saw just off the CL by a blade thickness. Once sectioned deburr with 400 grit and look at the ID of the case near the abnormality.

bhn22
    Now that I've had some sleep , has this brass already been shot through yours, or any other rifle that you know of? Torn brass is also a headspace issue indicator. I dismissed this initially because it's a straight case, but if your locking blocks in the rifle are loose, the case will still obturate and grip the chamber walls, but will be weakened if the bolt moves during the process. So it could still be a headspace issue. It probably showed up during reloading because of the crimping die. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy
    if you got a crimp that isn't coming all the way out, the case mouth is likely into the chamfered part of the chamber, I'd be doing some checking of case lengths first off.

All the brass was trimmed to 1.275" just before the last reload and is still in spec.

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight
    After looking at the picture and as best I can tell, that looks more like a pucker from pressing the crimp too hard.
    I agree, I could probably roll back on the crimp a touch. But on the other hand if the stiff crimp on the brass brings this to light then maybe it's not such a bad thing. Although it looks like a buckled case it's actually broken. The weak area failed upon crimping undoubtedly, better there than in the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel
    1. You have the wrong shell holder in the ram allowing the case to be off center.
    2. It looks like the bullet is not crimped in the groove but slightly below it. This could possibly be placing excess pressure on the case.
    Correct shell holder, all tool heads/turrets are stored with their respective shell holders to prevent mix ups. Yes the boolit is crimped just below the crimp groove. Crimping on the groove on these Lee boolits (both 429 & 452 200RF's) tends to cause the boolit to get sucked down by the crimp groove yielding unacceptable variances in COL. Also, these boolits are running approximately 20 BHN so here again yes, the pressure from crimping no doubt lead to the failure being visible.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent
    How does the head stamps look on the rim? sharp and crisp or faded thin and ironed out?
    Something that I should have looked at earlier and didn't. Let's just say they look pretty hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22
    has this brass already been shot through yours, or any other rifle that you know of?
    My rifle ('94 Marlin), the person I got it from probably shot it out of a revolver.

Some interesting points have been brought up here. In the final analysis I'd say that I should probably chuck the whole lot and buy new brass. Unfortunately Cabela's (where I've got the points) can't even spell 44 Mag brass so I'll have to wind up spending real money instead of points.

One of you brought up the possibility of a worn rifle part like the bolt block being the culprit. In reality this rifle was manufactured in the mid '90's but has had very little put through it in the last twenty years. I don't think it had ever been fired when I acquired it ten plus years ago and during my ownership it has spit out maybe at most 1,000 44 Specials and no Magnums until the last couple of months so worn parts aren't high on my list of possibilities but thanks for all the ideas and thoughts.

Banner Sponsor

About 10 years ago I had some new Winchester 454 ammo that did that. It had several fail like yours and also had some split length wise. This was fired in a Taurus Raging Bull. I contacted Winchester about it, they wanted the brass and ammo returned to look at. I sent most of the brass and ammo back and they sent me a couple of coupons for free Winchester ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll side with DougGuy on many reloads and not enough annealing leading to fatigue.

My Lee carbide die sizes small, very small in my opinion and when I seat a boolit the brass looks like a snake that ate a rabbit so I do not full length size any more. That coupled with a seemingly generous Marlin chamber must really work the brass. If yours is the same as mine then your brass must be getting work a lot too. If not properly annealed it will get quite brittle.

So there is my suspicion work hardened brass cracking at a weak point.

Longbow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast