Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Handloading Hornady cases

Handloading Hornady cases

Starting to get an accumulation of Hornady cases and was seeking feedback on loading them. General comparisons to other cases and other tips and comments.

DP

Banned

the ones I have used have been pretty good cases.
    they seem to be a bit harder than Remington and softer than Winchester, somewhere near federal but with better primer pockets.
    some of their cases are a bit thicker, but are pretty consistent in that thickness.

Boolit Grand Master

I buy them whenever I can. Very consistent length and weight, primer pockets very consistent as well. They cost a little more than my benchmark RP cases but with less prep work and no culls I find them cost-effective. They do seem to get hard and split a little sooner than RP's, may need to think again about annealing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    For some cases the Leverevolution ammo has shorter cases than standard.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I use them in the .405 win..They are very excellent cases .I hope they don't discontinue that a caliber..

Boolit Master
    I would also like to try their Match grade .308 win cases.. Right now I am using Nosler and they are spot on except the primer pockets are a bit tight for Fed 210 primers...

Boolit Grand Master

Use them. I like my hornady cases that I buy. Very consistent.

Boolit Grand Master

Haven't seen the component cases on the shelf or online much lately. Asked a Hornady rep about that recently and his response suggested they were being used to make ammo in their plants. I guess the ammo is more profitable than components. Sad that they've gotten away from their roots in the component business but that's business in today's world.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Hornady cases from fired factory Leverevolution ammo in .444 are about 1/8" shorter than standard to be able to load their FTX bullet. I know this because I cut down a Lee FCD for a friend so he was able to crimp these into the fired Hornady cases he reloads. If you plan on reloading Hornady FTX bullets into these cases. crimp will be a problem with a standard die set. After I shortened a Lee FCD die, problem solved. If planning to reload with cast, the short case will give you some problems with the crimp using a standard die set. I reload Hornady cases from fired 30-30 cases and they work well, and are the same OAL as standard cases. I have only handled Hornady cases from .444 and 30-30. Look close at fired cases from other cals of Hornady Leverevolution ammo with the flex tip, they might have had to do this with others. Hornady cases themselves are of a high quality.
    Chris

In Remembrance

I buy their 45 Mag Basic brass to make my .416 Taylor brass from. It being longer that .458 mag brass I can trim the brass to the correct Taylor length after reforming a .416 neck on the brass. I have found that it lasts longer then reformed Remington .458 mag brass that tends to split on the shoulder/body curve. If push comes to shove, I would favor Hornady brass over all the other brass makers.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    For some cases the Leverevolution ammo has shorter cases than standard.

Tim
    Definitely true with the 444

Compared the Hornady 35 Reminton to the Remington Brass and the length does not look significantly different, as in I cannot see much if any difference. They just now are stocking shelves with the Hornady ammo for the 35 and I wanted another box of brass to increase my brass collection for the caliber.

DP

Boolit Master

Just prepped 50 Hornady 32 Special cases last month. Case length was virtually spot on at the recommended minimum length and I only had to take a few thousandths off perhaps 20 cases. Flash holes were all uniform and when loaded all primers seated firmly, but without any force. I don't think that I've had that good a result with Lapua cases. My Model 64 is not a bench rest rifle, so I didn't bother to weigh the cases as my rifle couldn't tell the difference, but given their uniformity in length, I'm pretty sure that they're OK in that respect also.

I'm in the process of working up a load for a 197 grain boolit in my Model 64 Winchester and so far all goes well with my first time use of Hornady cases.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Based on y'all's enthusiasm for Hornady brass, I ordered 100 338 Win Mag cases to go with the old unfired Sako rifle in the safe. I'll use boolits, of course, with a low power scope for evening hog hunting. The Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen can keep it's receiver sight now.