RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: recycle or reuse ATF ?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you crazy ? there is no lubricating properties left in used ATF

3 2.68%
  • Yep, heat it up to 350º or so and filter it in a coffee filter and it'll be like new.

9 8.04%
  • I'd only use it to soak an old rusted motorcycle drive chain.

35 31.25%
  • Jon, you got to be the tightest SOB I ever seen.

65 58.04%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recycling ATF: Foolish or go for it ?

Heavy duty utility trailer bed with 2x6 raw wood flooring..mop it down with used oil and atf to weather proof it...ugly but the wood will l last forever.

Boolit Master

Back on the ranch, we used to take used motor oil and mix it with some sort of insect repellent and then pour it over burlap sacks that were draped over and wired to a chain that was spread between two gate posts so that the cattle could go under it to get rid of the flies that liked to pester them.

I've got some new stuff left over from the last tranny I replaced which is in my 05 focus.
    Cheap SOB's

Boolit Grand Master
    My uncle was a redneck rancher. Once while I was out near his corral, I saw a pile of oil soaked toilet paper rolls. I asked what that was about, he told me they were used oil filters from his pickup. He said he never changed oil, he just changed the "filter" every year or so. His old truck ran just fine.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Voted for #4. Not just because we spell our first name the same but because I've also run some through coffee filters. I'm pretty tight, too
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Best way to keep posts from rotting is to dig a hole, set the post in some gravel and pour in some oil then finish topping the hole off. Dont tell EPA you did this.

I didn't realize guys used ATF for bullet lube. I had 22 quarts I drained out of my truck last year. The farmer got all of it to burn in his heaters.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    One thing I do know... If you power steering pump is squealing late at night and you decide to top it off in the dark parking lot of a Wal-Mart or wherever, be REALLY sure that you're putting it in the power steering reservoir and not the brake fluid reservoir. It can be an expensive mistake if you do that and don't discover it until the brakes lock up.
    HAHAHAHA...you want to know expensive? Add windshield washer fluid to the DEF tank on a Semi by mistake.

Boolit Master
    All of the above.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    3.5 quarts? I take it you didn't drain the converter so all the old ATF got replaced?
    For my honda and other toyotas a full ATF change is no longer recommended. Drain and fill 3.5 qts depending on your usage/wear. The power machines are still at the dealerships for transmission flush even though honda/acura recommends against it. I've used the left overs to spot kill invasive weeds in the driveway not epa friendly. If I drain and its really clean looking i'll filter and pour it back in...I just go by the color of the oil I drain out.

Accelerant for a large bonfire...or possibly to get a pile of tires alight for Earth Day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	161908

A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Man
    Chain saw bar lube for when you run out of real stuff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    My uncle was a redneck rancher. Once while I was out near his corral, I saw a pile of oil soaked toilet paper rolls. I asked what that was about, he told me they were used oil filters from his pickup. He said he never changed oil, he just changed the "filter" every year or so. His old truck ran just fine.
    My dad operated a service station in a college town. One of the penny pinching professors showed him a TP oil filter and asked his opinion. His reply: "I don't wipe with filter paper either!"

My opinion; As far as micron filtering capability is concerned-subject to confirmation-, with regard to the pressure bypass feature, totally missing in the TP filter. Also MIA is the spin-off feature, standard in automotive filters since the '50's.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I didn't realize guys used ATF for bullet lube. I had 22 quarts I drained out of my truck last year. The farmer got all of it to burn in his heaters.
    I use some ATF in the bullet lube I make. It is not much so I just buy a qt. of it and that is it.I have some one else change my tranny for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Anyone ever really try to burn ATF? We used to use it as coolant for diamond core drilling through concrete under a live iron furnace, when you didn't know how close you were drilling to the molten iron. It wouldn't steam like water. The drillers said it had to hit over 850 F to burn. Never tried it myself. I remember in the 70's the GM mechanics I worked with said it was the same and interchangeable with power steering fluid. I've never had any issues putting used ATF in the bar lube resevoir on my Stihl 015 and have used the same bar & chains for ever.

Boolit Master
    That is great to know as I have a few old qt's sitting around and a chainsaw with no bar oil.

Boolit Master
    I mix motor oil and transmission fluid for bar oil all winter cutting my firewood , I re-use motor oil but not transmission fluid . But transmission fluid in a bucket will clean up some cruddy metals just soaking in it . If you save a buck you have a buck .

Vendor Sponsor

If it don't look dark and smell bad? It AIN'T bad...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    Not in the last 30 years here behind "The Redwood Curtain" of the left coast.

Horace
    Yep, big time fines for "polluting". I sold some property in LA county and an "inspection" by the EPA was mandatory. In one and one quarter acres this guy dug 40 holes about 12"-16" deep and took samples. He found motor oil (of course he found oil, I parked 4 rubbish trucks there for prolly 25 years) and I had to have the area where it was found cleaned up by a certified Haz-Mat contractor, $$$$$!
    Last edited by mdi; 04-30-2016 at 11:52 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Yep, big time fines for "polluting". I sold some property in LA county and an "inspection" by the EPA was mandatory. In one and one quarter acres this guy dug 40 holes about 12"-16" deep and took samples. He found motor oil (of course he found oil, I parked 4 rubbish trucks there for prolly 25 years) and I had to have the area where it was found cleaned u by a certified Haz-Mat contractoe, $$$$$!
    And people wonder why land is so expensive in Kalifornia... Duhh....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast