WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

View Poll Results: recycle or reuse ATF ?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you crazy ? there is no lubricating properties left in used ATF

3 2.68%
  • Yep, heat it up to 350º or so and filter it in a coffee filter and it'll be like new.

9 8.04%
  • I'd only use it to soak an old rusted motorcycle drive chain.

35 31.25%
  • Jon, you got to be the tightest SOB I ever seen.

65 58.04%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: recycling ATF: Foolish or go for it ?

Boolit Grand Master

Where I grew up all used motor oil was applied to keep down dust on the roads. Wonder how the EPA would fix that.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Used ATF burns really good in ford 7.3powerstrokes cut it with
    Half diesel fuel.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Where I grew up all used motor oil was applied to keep down dust on the roads. Wonder how the EPA would fix that.
    In CA you would be required to remove the "polluted" earth to as much a 4' below the surface. The offending earth would be put in drums and hauled away to a certified Ha-Mat dump. All done by a licensed Haz-Mat contractor, at your cost of course...

I worked for the City of L.A. and even city governments aren't free from the EPA. One site/yard used by the Power section was inspected and determined to be polluted by diesel fuel and transformer oil (60-70 trucks were parked there daily, and fueled on site, and many carried old, used transformers, some that leaked). The 12 acre site had to have 4 ft. of earth removed and replaced with "clean dirt". It took the city over 8 months to do this clean up...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

I think it was about 10 or 15 years ago, the State of MN mandated all gas stations have double or triple lined underground tanks. It took several years for all the gas stations to comply. When the old rusty single lined tanks were removed, the soil needed to be tested, if there was petroleum found in the dirt, the contaminated soil needed to be removed and dealt with. Now you can imagine how much of this contaminated soil there was with all the gas stations in the state replacing their tanks. One of the contractors, who had a license to do this work (Stewart Energy), is near Glencoe. A friend of mine works there. The owner, started this business on a farm site, and still lives there, He also owns a lot of excellent quality farmland.

He was paid by the State to take all the contaminated soil in our area ...and here is what he did with the contaminated soil, with a special permit from the State, He spread it on a one of his 160 acre corn fields, upto, but not exceeding 6" deep . He was to Plow it at least once a year, but no more than twice a year. He planted corn, the third year and there were no noticed ill effects, the corn harvest was same/similar as nearby fields. He made millions and millions of dollars on that deal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    In CA you would be required to remove the "polluted" earth to as much a 4' below the surface. The offending earth would be put in drums and hauled away to a certified Ha-Mat dump. All done by a licensed Haz-Mat contractor, at your cost of course...

I worked for the City of L.A. and even city governments aren't free from the EPA. One site/yard used by the Power section was inspected and determined to be polluted by diesel fuel and transformer oil (60-70 trucks were parked there daily, and fueled on site, and many carried old, used transformers, some that leaked). The 12 acre site had to have 4 ft. of earth removed and replaced with "clean dirt". It took the city over 8 months to do this clean up...
    So...in another year you'll have the exact same mess on the "clean dirt" on that 12 acre site? Seems like that would contaminate an even greater area in my mind. I know city vehicles around here are maintained just enough to keep them running, so leaks and spills are bound to happen eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I made the observation that grass grew really well in soil contaminated with used motor oil. The dirty oil would kill existing grass but new grass growing in from the sides did very well. I suspect it held moisture better.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-30-2016 at 12:58 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned
    As long as it isn't burned (discolored), let it settle and use it for anything you want. I would even put it back in the dang car. (My Honda ATF Costs $14 a quart) I let it in there too long and it is kind of brown. I sure with I hadn't done that. Honda transmissions are delicate and I don't want to replace it. It is slipping a tiny bit now when I first start out. The guy at the parts store said it was from the new ATF that Honda is forcing us to use. It is fully synthetic as opposed to their old stuff which was semi synthetic or so they say. I will tell you one thing though. The super thin fully synthetic ATF is amazing stuff for cleaning. It works way better than regular ATF. It is all I use now for cleaning guns. Oh, I don't call transmissions "tranny's" anymore. It has become such a disgusting word lately.

Banned
    Hah! When I was in high school (in the 60's) I had a friend who's dad started a junk yard in their back yard. It was a wonderful place for a kid to grow up. I hung out there a lot. Anyway, I asked him why his dad started a junk yard as he didn't work on cars and really didn't even know anything about cars. To my surprise he said that his dad thought that if he let the cars rust there for 10 or 15 years it would make the soil grow stuff like crazy. He believed it. Maybe it's true. It is hard to think that battery acid antifreeze oil and transmission fluid would be good for the soil though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I made the observation that grass grew really well in soil contaminated with used motor oil. It dirty oil would kill existing grass but new grass growing in from the sides did very well. I suspect it held moisture better.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy it new. I'ts cheap.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

grass grew really well in soil contaminated with used motor oil Kills weeds and bugs too. La. used kerosene type compound to kill off mosquitoes and cudsu. EPA won't let us pour it around the foundation anymore to get rid of pests. Do note that antifreeze attracts termites.
    Whatever!

I would think for the price, buying new fresh ATF would be the smart route.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    grass grew really well in soil contaminated with used motor oil Kills weeds and bugs too. La. used kerosene type compound to kill off mosquitoes and cudsu. EPA won't let us pour it around the foundation anymore to get rid of pests. Do note that antifreeze attracts termites.
    Well, we also used to spray the dirt roads with a used motor oil mixture to keep down the dust and people in town would just dump their used motor oil in the storm drains... Things sure have changed...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Well, we also used to spray the dirt roads with a used motor oil mixture to keep down the dust and people in town would just dump their used motor oil in the storm drains... Things sure have changed...
    Yeah, turns out that's not great for the environment, and not great for people when the dust starts picking up. The only thing that changed is that we know more.

Boolit Master
    The EPA has fits if it sees any oil spilled on the ground. How do they react when they see thousands of miles of black top/asphalt roads. Isn't asphalt a mixture of oil and other stuff?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234