MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 Colt HP

Boolit Man

45 Colt HP

Hi
    the snow is still quite deep outside and that gives me time to think and you all know what happends when one thinks too much
    This is what my latest thinking lead to
    I made up some 45 Colt with a 252gr hp from a Mihec mould i bought here.
    The boolits were cast of 50/50 ww and rooflead, loaded over 9 gr of Vithavuori Tinstar, Oal 44,5mm for a nice 283 m/s (5m from muzzle) I of course take no responsebilety for the safty of this load in other guns then mine.

I put this togeather with some small game i mind (nothing bigger then rodear) and would like to hear the what you think of it. To soft/hard, is it to slow/fast. What sort of game would you considder such a load god for ?
    Happy shooting to all
    Mathis

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use a very similar load with bullets cast 1:30 tin/lead and 7.2 grains of Bullseye powder (270 m/s) for American whitetail deer which typically weigh about 50-60kg. and get clean kills within 25-40 metres.

Attachment 132306Attachment 132307
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

those are some super nice looking boolits Math.
    hmm a 230ish gr hollow point at @ 900 fps wouldn't do me much good.
    it'd tear up the small stuff I'd eat.
    and I [nor our deer] don't have the patience to wait for the shot I'd need to take at the yardages it would be useful in.

Boolit Master

No matter what, those HP's look good. I like HP's and those, in a 45 Colt Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 7.5" barrel, for Home Defense would be AWESOME! I would also want to try them on hogs from 25 yards or less. Behind the ear and it would be light's out!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Nice looking boolits, I have a similar mold from NOE 454-424 and they shoot fantastic. I have shot them out of a Taurus Judge, Ruger Redhawk & a Blackhawk with about the same accuracy.
    The alloy is a 60/40 mix of #2 & pure lead, I'm getting a 10. to 11.5 BNH. I push it with 8 gr of Unique (from the old Lyman Handbook mid 70's).

Moderator Emeritus

A good friend of mine has quite a lot of experience with the LC and similar loads, but he has a bad habit of shooting them in the head with his rig, and even a .22 LR would work for that type of bullet placement. However, when he's used a heart/lung shot, it has always worked very well. Keep the placement up close to the front from the crease of the shoulder forward, and they'll likely run 20-50 yds. and pile up. Deer should be no problem, but those bullets penetrate so deeply in bigger stuff that I wouldn't feel bad trying even an elk at closer ranges with it. The big, slow, heavy bullets take a few seconds to kill, but kill they do. They won't pile up game in its tracks like speedier loads can often do (again, though, these have to be well placed too) but they'll git-r-done. No matter what gullet and load we use, bullet placement and angle are paramount, and after that, penetration and tissue/organ destruction. There really isn't much that a good .45 LC with your loads or similar can't and won't do. It's less flashy and glamorous than some of the more "modern" magnums, but it'll do to ride the river with any day.

Boolit Master

I should have included the 45 Colt Buffalo Classic Handi-rifle would also be well served shooting those HP bullets. The little carbine packs a punch-through hammer with 255 gr. (my 49/49/2 - WW/Pb/Sn alloy) Lyman #454190 FN 's. That HP would probably stop and deliver all of its energy inside game for a complete and immediate DRT hit (in the right spot of course).

I have the parent mold; RCBS 270SAA, HP by Erik @ HPMS. I have diff pins but the shallow HP is good for over 1000fps & still holds together on impact cast 25-1, lead/tin. The deeper HP pin will expand down to 800fps or so.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Man
    From your comments it would seem as i have a good load going, i will try and shoot some groups on paper and se if i can catch some boolits in wet newspapper this weekend. If all goes well iŽll have picatures of perfect mushromed boolits and nice groups too show
    Regards
    Math

Boolit Master

Bullet looks promising, the SWC style is the most accurate in my Win 94 Trapper.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Man
    Got out today and did some impromptu shooting from the back of my car as the ranges i usually goo too still are closed due too the snow. But i think it went fairly well, distans was only 25meters, 10 shoots over my knees in the trunk of my car Got some good mushrooms out of my wet newspapper ond two not so good, penetration was an ewen 15cm to the back of the boolit. Now i would like too hear what your thoughts on this
    Math

Boolit Grand Master

math;
    You can't argue with that kind of performance. I have a Ruger SS Bisley convertible and use the Mihec correct copy of the RCBS .452-270-SAA, both in solid bullets and with the Mihec large octagonal hollow point to good effect.

Dale53

Boolit Man
    Thats a nice gun you got there Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Looks very good.

Please tell me more about the game, not familiar with this animal, I think it should
    be "roe deer", is that correct? 6" penetration in wet newsprint, should work out to double that
    in 10% ballistic gelatin - all my testing with wet newsprint, where I had the identical factory
    cartridge tested in ballistic gelatin to compare to, I got a nearly perfect 2:1 ratio, half as deep in
    wet newsprint. Also, the boolit is about 5/8" long when expanded + 6" (15 cm) to base = 6 5/8 *(2)
    which is 13 1/4" (33.7 cm). I am guessing this may fully or nearly fully penetrate on a broadside
    (90 degree) lung shot, but am not sure of the animal.

OK, I looked it up -

I found a web site that says roe deer in Sweden run from 15-31 kg, which is 33 to 68 lbs,
    which is amazingly small for deer in the USA! I would guess that 34 cm will be all the way through
    the chest on one from a broadside shot. I would expect it to be extremely effective if placed
    well, and your group shows that you should be able to hit it if you can get that close. No idea
    of the hunting conditions - will 25 meters be a possible range to actually shoot one in the field?
    Last edited by MtGun44; 03-07-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    I suspect it will be very difficult to recover a boolit on deer of this size. I would expect complete penetration on all but lengthwise shots.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Man
    yes our roe deer is small Even if a 25m shoot is not unheard of they donŽt come every day but as i wrote in the begining of this post the thought of this load was too handle game up to roe deer size, most likely there will be a beaver or a badger that receives one of those boolits
    Math