Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 303 to 22 and 17

Boolit Master

303 to 22 and 17

I was asked this week how i converted 303s to rimfire, figured i would share my technique here too.
    i did this before i had a barrel vice and action wrench so thats why i did it like this. to the purists, i converted sporters well beyond their usefull life.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150225_093046.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	132268
    this pic shows what i did. I used 2 plus inches of original 303 barrel still in the action. I cut the old barrel with a hacksaw then turned a round flat area to be supported in the steady rest of the lathe. Now with the action in the four jaw and the barrel numb supported in the steady rest i drilled and the reamed to 9/16". Once that was complete i could determine the lenght to inserted in the reamed hole and the headspace. Then i simply turned the barrel to a slight press fit in the 9/16" hole. You can see a set screw in the pic i put three in the barrel adapter just because.
    More to follow
    Last edited by leebuilder; 02-27-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Name:	20150225_093314-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	132308
    in this pic i want to show how the new rimfire barrel fits in the old barrrel numb. The extractor grove is cut and timed prior to final fit and drilling and tapping the setscrew holes.
    Last edited by leebuilder; 02-28-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Boolit Master

With all that said, if you have any questions please ask. I figured all this out sailing with the Captain, so it cant be that hard

Name:	20150225_093402-1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	132309
    this pic shows the bolt/firing pin convertion. The same as an excisting C No7, but i will explain. The offset of the rimfire firing pin requires a No7 bolt head. The firing pin will now be a two piece assembly, the 303 firing pin has to be trimmed just past the flange and now becomes a hammer to the rimfire firing pin.
    I have converted a few like this and built one in 17 Hmr, lots of fun and turns heads on the firing line.
    Last edited by leebuilder; 02-28-2015 at 10:19 AM.

Your pictures aren't working when I click on them. Any of the center fires I have built from PBBLE's ( Previously Been Bubba'd Lee Enfields ) I do the same thing by using a couple inches of the barrel and bore it out. With the rimfires I just use a fine thread 1" bolt and bore the hole off center about .10" of an inch so the firing pin hits the rim. The 1" fine thread will usually thread right into the receiver of a LE. Then I do the same thing as you with set screws. 22 hornet is a easier way to go , center fire and probably cheaper to load for than buying 22 rimfire ammo right now.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like my way is better, just different. You've got some cool stuff there leebuilder.

Boolit Master

No worries enfield. Like i said i did not have the barrel vice and other tools. I like your offset method played with that a bit, getting the C No7 bolt heads gives you options. I sent a pm to the mods about the pics not coming out, any sugestions,, since i did not get a reply. Thanks for the input!!!!

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Leebuilder,
    What a project!
    I have made a fixture for soldering shims to 303 bolt faces.
    I have made a 12 ga shotgun shell with off center 22 barrel that shoots 22 ammo.
    I have cut down a Mauser barrel to stub, bored it out, and put a 22 barrel in with solder. Then reamed to .223.

Those 3 project are about as close to yours as I have got.

Did you free hand the extractor relief cut? How did you get that shape?

Boolit Master

Hi Clark. I free hand my extractor cuts, done enough of them i can do one in my sleep. When i started i made little gauge/jig out of stiff cardboard or shim stock. Because they are hard to measure.

Clark can you post pics of your jig for bolt face shims.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

Name:	303bolthead&holdersmall.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	134352 The bolt head screws in, and a pool of water is added, and then just the bolt face gets hot enough for the solder.
    Then the face can be machined in the fixture.
    Those bolt faces are not that easy to put in the lathe.

Boolit Master

Niffty Clark, thanks.
    Knew a guy the would build them up using tig, great idea.

I just happen to have a donor action (it bears only on the inner lug) plus one or two 22lr barrels lying around (one being a 1 in 14 twist Tozz which would make a great 22-303). I see the action as being quite suited to manually inserting a cartridge. Then again, a single shot 222 hornet cast would be a neat project for a long Cooey barrel that I have. Spent cases could drop into a magazine box without innards (which I happen to have). So much fun to be had and so little motivation!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

303 guy, my only motivation for these projects was to make the usable do-dads and brick and brack into shootable rifles, once i started it snowballed in to some thing good. Those old Cooey barrels are the best ever, well besides new. Toz is nice too, they are becomeing quite scarce now. They are single shots and the emptys fall in the mag body, repeaters would be nice, but it may be a sack of hammers to attempt it.
    be well

At the price and availability of 22's , the longer it takes between shots the better. Yes the Lee Enfield has to be the best bolt gun for short single round hand feeding ( try doin that in a mauser type action ).

Boolit Master
    There is also quite a bit to be said for lining the original barrel. I believe Redman rimfire liners are still 5/16in diameter, but those from Track of the Wolf are 3/8in. or more (which you might need with an oversized groove diameter). They include centrefires, and you could even reline to .303 with their .30 Luger liner, and use the unaltered magazine. I believe the .219 Zipper can be made to feed. Smaller rounds than .303 would need to incorporate a turned steel copy of a chamber cast.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/1

I actually relined a Lee Enfield with a section of 30 luger liner from track of the wolf ( before they stopped sending liners to Canada ) I just did it as an experiment and chambered it for .357 I will some day try heavy boolits since it has a 1-9 twist or there abouts compared to 1-18 for .357 magnum.

Boolit Master

I used a liner along time ago. Wanted to recycle the older barrels i already had. I been thinking about other convertions will get to them in time. Like the idea of pistol calibers for plinking.

32-20 is my favourite with the Enfield, the bore is just the right size, you can load them as hot or as mild as you want. I made up about 4 or 5 so far ( a couple for some buddies that had donor rifles ) and cut the chambers with 2 different size drill bits to boot !!. They work very good but I bought a reamer to do it right ( and haven't made another one since, but I will ).

Boolit Master

Neat enfield i will look into 32-20. I seen tradeex had brass.

They have been out of it for a while, ( it was nickel plated and seemed to crack easy at the mouth ). I got some from Higginson Powders last fall.

Boolit Master

Thanks enfield, will look into it. I like the idea of a wider range of loadings. Got my first NOE mold, 316299. Now i am out of alloy, waiting for the snow to go and a dry day.
    One question, how did get around the larger dia chamber?
    Be well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast