Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Mossberg MVP Flex in .308

Boolit Buddy

Just ordered a Mossberg MVP Flex in .308

I just recently returned from a 6 month deployment and as a congratulatory gift to myself I ordered a Mossberg MVP Flex in .308 win.

I went with the .308 due to the fact I have a surplus of military 7.62 brass that I collected to cut down for .300 savage. With the .300 savage I have powder, primerof the semi auto was as, molds, and gas checks for .30 cal all ready so that was a no brainer.

I went with the MVP flex for certain reasons. Could I get a bolt gun that has greater accuracy using.308? Sure, probably. I was initially going to get the Springfield M1A that has a average 2 moa accuracy. I figured a bolt gun has better accuracy so went bolt over semi auto. The magazine capacity of the AR 10 and the SR25 was very tempting. The price point on the semi autos M1A, SR 25, and AR 10's was sticker shock for me. I could get 3-6 very accurate bolt guns for the price of one semi auto. Next weight was a criteria. Some semi autos weigh well over 10 pounds. That's all fine if you're carrying it from your trunk to the bench at the local range, but putting miles on the mountain I wanted something sub 8 pounds.The Kimber rifles that have come out with carbon fiber stocks are about 7 pounds and $1200.

So I wanted a rifle that was less than$600, bolt action, short barrel(carbine'ish length), high mag capacity (more than 5), light weight. I thought i was dreaming then in a gun magazine I saw the MVP series of guns, the night train? The patrol, and the flex. I was sad to see in the magazine that the flex was only listed in .223, the night train was heavy and long, the patrol was in my sights. Once I got to the internet (submarines underwater have none) I was relieved to find the Flex in.308.

Two months later I'm home and find my MVP flex on gun broker for$544 shipped and a local ffl fee of$22. $566, is under$600, and the rifle fits all my criteria. Now I hope it shoots well.

Anyone know where to get great priced .308 mags?
    Suggestion on light weight scope rings?
    Any recommendations our experience on BSA or Barska scopes?

Congrats on your new purchase. I was also stationed at Norfolk and lived in Virginia Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield0612 View Post
    Anyone know where to get great priced .308 mags?
    Suggestion on light weight scope rings?
    Any recommendations our experience on BSA or Barska scopes?
    http://www.brownells.com/magazines/r...prod27330.aspx
    $23 to $35 depending upon capacity

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315...308-winchester
    checkmates same price as brownell's

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/ca...p?idCategory=8
    checkmate direct.

https://www.44mag.com/category/m1a_m14_magazines_usgi
    $25 ish

http://www.jgsales.com/magazines-c-332_190_851.html
    mixed bag

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/77661
    Promag for $17

http://www.keepshooting.com/m14-maga...aiwan-t57.html
    Taiwanese M14's for $13

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/magm14-kr20.aspx
    $13

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/m1a-m14/
    assortment

Weaver rings usually work well and light weight

It's sort of a **** shoot on BSA or Barska - with optic's you get what you pay for.
    I have a FAL semi-auto 308 with a BSA cat's eye - been working fine for over 600 rounds

Had a Barska that worked on a 243 bolt gun for over 500 rounds - then died
    Tried NcStar it died within 100 rounds - put a Millet on it - waiting to see.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    The mags on the keep shooting site are about to be on order, thats a great price! Thanks exactly what I was looking for.

Boolit Master

I'd like to hear a range report from you. I've heard lots of positive buss about the flex line, heard it shoots way above its price point!

Boolit Buddy
    Rifle in hand, mags received, scope mounted to check clearances. Today will do chamber and bore casting for tolerances. Then dummy rounds, and make up some test loads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1425829107650.jpg  

Looks a little strange but how does it feel when you carry it and throw it up to your shoulder?
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Shoulders nicely, weight with scope is 8 pounds 10 ounces. The mag is a M14 20 round mag, the 10 rounder that came with it looks less goofy. Gonna make a 5 round block for hunting compliance. Now I just need a place to shoot. The only place here to get past 50 yards and outdoors is C2 shooting and its $20 +/hour to shoot and an hour drive. Got to love Hampton Roads VA!

So any further reports on it at longer range
    je suis charlie

Boolit Buddy
    No range reports yet, military life and family have my attention right now. Bore casting came out .309 chamber casting came out on the tight side for clearance. Rifling starts nicely to seat the bullets to just touch the grooves. The chamber is tight to the point that my Lee resizing die wasnt getting the brass small enough. It took an imense amount of force to chamber once fired resized .308 the military fired 7.62 brass that I have was near impossible to get the bolt to close. Got on gun broker and got a set of Lyman small base dies and an M die for $30 shipped. Now the rounds chamber like butter. The Lee 170 grain flat point doesnt like the feed ramp coming out of the magazine, getting a lot of jams. Thinking to increase my BHN, or get the Lee RN 170/180 grain bullet might cure the feeding and jamming issues. So far I have 4 different magazines. The Magpul 25 round Gen 3's I picked up at the gun show for $15/ea are a joy, the korean M1 mags I bought off the site listed above are pretty rough on the brass and lead bullets but they work. I picked up a used plastic M14 mag that seats and locks in the mag well but doesn't seat high enough to strip rounds out of the mag so thats going in the trade sale pile.

Boolit Buddy
    This was the mold I was looking at. Ive got the 312-155 I need to work up as well but wanted a flater tip.

http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/...ld-c309-180-r-

Boolit Buddy
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...o5956ls6mbkuk2
    I like this one though..... anyone got a sample?

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, life got CRAZY! 2 years later and I finally got to pull this bad boy out and do some ladder testing. Enjoy!

Thought Id share my range report for today shooting cast lead bullets out of a .308 win. ***CAUTION*** Most equip used in the firing of these groups were..........Lee products!

Wow! Today was intense. Went and got a new membership at a range that has a true 100m range. I havent shot this rifle in over a year and this is my second time shooting it. Less than 200 rounds through this rifle and only 2 FMJ'S.

GUN: Mossberg MVP Flex chambered in .308 win. 18.5" bull barrel, I swapped the stock out for a Magpul, and put a Vortex 3-9x40 Crossfire II scope on it.

Here's the kicker. I shot two, 5 shot sub MOA groups using cast bullets. Only using a bag rest for the front and my hand and arm for rear support. The Vortex scope was sighted in sitting in my living room using a Walmart laser bore sighter. I made a 1" verticle adjustment and a 1" left adjustment at the range during my second string of 5 shot groups.

Bullet: NOE 163 grain (FROM A 5 CAVITY MOLD), powder coated (1 coat of HF red tumble lube no bb's), gas checked, sized to .311. 13-15 BHN. Sized through a Lee sizing die with no Lube.

Brass: LC '11 once fired, FL sized using cooking spray and Lee FL die, trimmed using Lee Deluxe quick trim die system. Flash holes deburred and uniformed using Lyman hand tool. Crimps removed using Dillon super 600.

Primer: Federal large rifle primed on press using Lee safety prime system.

Powder: IMR 3031. All data came from Lyaman Cast bullet handbook.
    Group #5 was 30 grains measured on a digital
    scale.
    Group #8 was 31.5 grains measured on a digital scale.

Dies:
    1)Lyman M die to open up the neck
    2)Lyman bullet seating die.
    3)Lee factory crimp die.

Press: Lee classic Cast turret press with auto index engaged.

John Sherman corrected me in another group about measuring MOA on targets so group #8 comes in at .942" and group #5 at .828". Thanks John!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    I'd like to hear a range report from you. I've heard lots of positive buss about the flex line, heard it shoots way above its price point!
    I know its been 2 years, but.... finally got a range report up! Enjoy. I did!

Boolit Master

Very nice range report. Not taking anything away from your shooting or the MVP, but I swear 30-31 can make any gun shoot good.
    I'm skeptical on the Flex, does it feel front heavy and can one shoot it off hand good with out a front support..I do like the ability to collapsible the stock, easier to store and transport.

I got the MVP Pred. and it takes the same mags as my DPMS LR-308.So I am good on that. Still need to finish the sight in.When I was in the navy I was in Norfolk also.I know it change from when I was there in 79 to 83.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    Interesting report !! Thanks for your service. I've always been fascinated by Subs since I was in the Air Force.

Great report on your rifle. Looks like you've figured it out. IMO IMR3031 is a must have powder for cast bullets and no slouch with jackets, either. Great scope choice too!
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    As I get more time behind this rifle it continues to shine with 3031 and my NOE 163 grn bullets! 3 shot group smaller than a dime. Gas check, the only thing left after the bullets hit an AR500 steel gong @ 100 yards. 8" x 3/8" AR500 GONG from Scorpion Tactical ($17 w/ free shipping) because shooting paper gets boring, good trigger time practice!

Boolit Buddy
    Recent upgrades before the dime size group. UTG Tactical sniper grip ($14) the stock grip pinched my fingers and was not ergonomic or comfortable. The Magpul stock is not very comfy to shoot multiple rounds, the recoil transfer into your cheek will leave you sore for a couple days. So I fabricated a cheek pad out of an old beer coozy and some industrial strength adhesive. Its not pretty but it helps fight the urge to flinch from recoil! Price, well free I guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast