Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: heaviest s&w 500 molds?

heaviest s&w 500 molds?

I was wondering what the heaviest mold some of you had for the s&w 500. I've been playing around with the idea of getting one and I always run pretty much the heaviest stuff per caliber I can find.

So I was just wondering what was out there and what some of you guys have experience with.

Boolit Master

Is this in a revolver or Thompson? Accurate Molds lists a 725gr but also states its nose is too long for the X frame, looks like 710gr is the heaviest they have that fits the X frame:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=12

handloads.com lists loads up to 700gr

Revolver. Thanks for the info 700grs is pretty heavy

I own a SW .500 mag and I think is fun to shoot the 500 GR boolits. I just got off the phone last night with LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) and Veral Smith says he makes a 700 GR boolit is a monster to control. He wouldn't want to shoot it. He is going to make me molds for my .475 Linebaugh in a 400 GR WFN GC in a two cavity mold. I told him my next mold from him would be for the .500 SW mag. He can make you anything you want. I would suggest shoot a box of 500 GR first. They will be easer to control. Better control means better accuracy.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

500gr or 700gr I don't think I would be pushing them close to max most of the time anyways. A max load with a 700gr bullet does sound like punishment.

Banned

Not so much, load must be reduced for the heavy boolit. It is not stable and turns, will not even run a straight path in test media.
    We shot a bunch of the 700 gr boolits and they would exit the sides and tops of soaked phone books, penetration was reduced a great deal for any caught.
    Each caliber and twist rate has a limit for boolit length unless you like sideways holes in paper.
    Save your money!

Boolit Grand Master

Lars45 should really weigh in here!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Not so much, load must be reduced for the heavy boolit. It is not stable and turns, will not even run a straight path in test media.
    We shot a bunch of the 700 gr boolits and they would exit the sides and tops of soaked phone books, penetration was reduced a great deal for any caught.
    Each caliber and twist rate has a limit for boolit length unless you like sideways holes in paper.
    Save your money!
    How fast were you pushing these bullets and still getting tumbling?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    How fast were you pushing these bullets and still getting tumbling?
    Max loads listed by the boolit maker. 296 but I don't have the loads used because I do not have a S&W .500. The 700 can't be pushed fast enough for the twist. They are like a 400 to 405 gr in the .44, they turn at 50 yards and do not make round holes. Recoil was not that bad, more of a long push instead of the "snap". To shoot them slower makes it worse.

Banner Sponsor

The 700gn was meant to be shot in the performance center custom run of 5" 10 twist guns. I had molds from 350gn up to 700gn.
    My 600 and 700gn molds were from Mountain Molds and were a pleasure to cast with, they made good bullets real fast, but would drain your pot in a hurry. My 500gn mold was from Accurate(they make some excellent molds), the 440 was a Lee, a 400 from a custom run, and I don't remember where the 350 came from, maybe Midway?
    I have the 4" S&W and 7.5" BFR.
    While it is fun to shoot the 700gn monsters, 44man is right, they will not stabilize from a regular twist gun. Last year at the Linebaugh shoot, there was a guy who brought his PC 10 twist gun and some heavy 635gn loads loaded to around 1400fps(sorry don't remember exactally). We tried them in his unported 5" and my ported 4". They were pretty brutal to shoot, but the recoil seemed to be abit less with the 4" ported gun.
    Once you get worked up to it, the 500's are not too bad. Just don't go all the way to max 500gn loads at first, it may get away from you. The Lee 440 is a pretty good bullet for all around use.
    I bought my 4" used with a total of 5 rounds put through it, lol.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth

Thanks for the heads up guys. Most the time I just go with heavy slow bullets for the caliber but 400 to 500gr bullets that stabilize sound better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Thanks for the heads up guys. Most the time I just go with heavy slow bullets for the caliber but 400 to 500gr bullets that stabilize sound better.
    My 440 gr for my .500 JRH has shot great from the S&W.