Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad H&R news

Bad H&R news

Note from Brian at Remington this morning....

Production just had a meeting, and was told that all orders were cancelled and H&R is officially closed. I will still be doing repairs until I run out of parts.
    If you call H&R please do not mention my name. I could get into trouble. I just had to give all my friends here on GBO the news.

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

really, this is old news. It was common knowledge that there were no more handi rifles. and this just confirms what we already knew, and also confirms that whoever was in denial before now knows they were wrong all along.

Thanks for sharing the news, Skipper. That's too bad as they are very good, economical guns. I used my grandfathers 30-30 last year to take three nice deer. Allot of memories made by many people with those guns!

Moderator Emeritus

I understood they had kept the gun but stopped the bbl program. Another example of how not to run a business.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I love the Handi's. But truthfully, bolt guns got so cheap I quit buying them. Of course the Handi's had the barrel program and pistol calibers, and that was darn cool. When I was looking at a 223 rifle a few years ago, I bought a Savage/Stevens. It cost $25 more than the Handi at the time and it was a magazine fed bolt gun. What will be missed are inexpensive 357 and 44 mag guns and other pistol calibers. There is not an affordable substitute for those calibers. Cheap 30-30's are EZ to find.

Boolit Master
    I have a H&R 10 ga turkey gun,a 20ga ultraslug,a 12ga Tracker II and a 357max handi rifle.I wont be needing any more of them.I hope nothing ever breaks in the frames as parts will not be around very long.

Its to bad Remington is doing away with H&R as they are a pretty good gun without spending alot of money on them but for those in need of a good single shot they can always get the CVA Hunter or Scout

Unhappy

I own handi-rifles 12 gauge survival nef, 30-06 stainless steel and a 22lr sportster. They are doubles for the other rifles that i own.

I like handi rifles, just like the simplicity and compact size.

I am sadend that H&R handi-rifles are gone. But happy that i have 3 of them.
    The lazy do not roast any game... but the diligent feed on the riches of the HUNT!! Proverbs 12:27

Banned

I have three receivers, seven barrels and an Ultra Slug Hunter. Big fan.

I hope the adapter guys survive. that was another thing about the handi shotgun all the adapters that are available for it.
    The lazy do not roast any game... but the diligent feed on the riches of the HUNT!! Proverbs 12:27

Boolit Master

I've currently got a line on an H&R .38/.357. They guy wants $250 for it without the scope and $300 with the scope. I've offered him $225 without the scope. It's a pretty good drive from here, but I've been wanting one of those so that I can rechamber it for .357 max.

With the cost of .22LR ammo these days, a single shot .38 rifle with low powered loads makes a good gun for introducing new shooters to the sport. With the right load, it's quieter than the standard velocity .22LRs.

Boolit Grand Master
    What a shame. I guess the bean counters win again.

I've been waiting for two barrels for months! Extremely disappointed in Remington!
    1,000,000 peso man

Banned

I sent two receivers in November for two barrels each and just got one back. The other is in a black hole apparently

Boolit Buddy

Yeah, I just bought a cut-down BC barrel from a private party. It dropped right in and fired etc. Only thing is, the action pops open upon firing. Have been working on the fix and not getting much of anywhere, called the NEF/HR repair line and got a work order # to send it in about a month ago. Hesitated because I thought I could probably still "do it myself"....beginning to rethink that, but now it really is too late for that option. I am likely going to have to find one of those guys over on the GBO site that lives close by, that knows how to fix this and hire it done.

Really too bad about NEF, even though I have all the frames and barrels I want, I hate to see them go down. Dirty shame.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Magana559 View Post
    I've been waiting for two barrels for months! Extremely disappointed in Remington!
    Shutting down H&R may have been the goal when Remington bought it.
    It's not unusual for a company to buyout the competition run until that they have gotten enough profit back from the purchase and then shutting it down.
    Last edited by Hickory; 02-28-2015 at 04:13 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buy an organization and then close it.
    Does that sound familiar ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe an individual with some machinist skills will step in & offer firing pins , extractor replacements , etc . That would be a big help in keeping these rifles shooting.

Might be a nice little sideline business for someone ?
    Last edited by Ben; 02-28-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    It's done all the time for tax purpose. Buy then show a huge loss for that all so important tax loop hole advantage. Regular working stiffs such as myself don't understand all the ins and outs but we see it all the time. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Any one going to be surprised to see Rossi make a run at this niche?

Boolit Master

What makes the break actions like the H&R so nice is the flexibility for experimentation and their inherent strength of design and how relatively inexpensive they are. If you are wanting to create a wildcat, just find a barrel with the right bore diameter and then rechamber it to something larger so that you can get more powder in there. Want a .308 case with a .223" projectile? Buy a .223 H&R and have it rechambered. You'll probably have to modify the extractor also, but I don't think it would be that difficult.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast