RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I gave in and overpaid for a pound of Bullseye.

Boolit Man

I gave in and overpaid for a pound of Bullseye.

I had stopped by a local pawn shop a couple weeks ago and saw they had Bullseye, Red dot, and Unique in one pound cans for $31.99 plus tax. I stopped in tonight and there was still 2 Bullseye, 2 Red dot and 4 Unique. So now I'm out almost $35.00 for one pound of powder.

Boolit Buddy

That's about normal in my neck of the woods. I'd gladly pay that amount for any of the powders I'm short on, especially 2400. I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Banned

That is the going rate, possibly higher, around here. I would not worry about the $$$, focus on the shooting.
    Last edited by jmort; 02-27-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Boolit Master

OUCH! 21.00 here for all Alliant powder regardless of type, all seem to be available in one pound containers, 4 and 8 a bit harder to find. LGS here has had 2400 for several months. Must be getting regular shipments, I've picked up a pound a week for the last six weeks
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Vendor Sponsor

I picked up two pounds of LilGun ftf from a seller on Gunbroker, he mentioned he had 231, and I sent him right back up the road to get me a can for $35 didn't blink an eye.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I can't find anything I need. Last night on Precision Reloadings website I thought I hit the jackpot. They had Winchester AA Super handicap. Put a bunch in my cart.
    Sorry... we only have one pound of that item available. Hazmat makes it a no deal.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy
    Same at my local guy but he has everything pretty much. I did the math and I'm still coming out on top vs buying ammo.

On Heaven's Range

Let's get some perspective.

One pound of Bullseye represents TWO THOUSAND ROUNDS of moderate .45ACP or normal .38 Special loads. TWO THOUSAND!

If we paid ten dollars less for that pound of Bullseye, the difference in cost for each round would amount to a huge, vast, enormous saving of ONE HALF of ONE CENT .

I dunno about the rest of y'all, but even on my pensioner's income, that is a miniscule saving, and it simply wouldn't even appear on my radarscope...... it is a paltry difference in cost. Ten bucks in my pocket is always nice, but come on.....two thousand rounds, after all!

I would be glad I found the powder, and not worry about the measly extra cost.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

It's a little high compared to here but not enough to concern me.

Fact is with the low consumption demands a pistol has. It's hard to mail order and pay haz-mat. That in itself does not make shooting pistol more expensive than rifle. This morning I tossed two empty eight pound jugs of rifle powder in the trash bin. Last week I received two replacement jugs that I'm digging into. All I'm doing is loading up about two years worth of 223. Get about 2,150 rounds per eight pound jug. At 26.0 grain charge. 2,485 with the faster LT-32 powder and 55 grain bullets. My cast bullet 222 Rem load yields 3,730 rounds from eight pounds of LT-32. 4,000 rounds from the 5744 powder loads. Cast Bullets are ten cents per shot less than a cheep J bullet. At 100 yards. As long as we shoot at least ten rounds. Groups look the same between J bullets and cast. One hole inside the inch. Now and then I'll get a flyer with my eyeball sorted cast 22's that will go outside the 2 inch line. If I shoot my 223 bolt action varmint rifle from a bench rest setup with 24X scope I can put ten shots of SMK's inside 3/8".

So you think I'm rambling? No, just saying it's all relative. It also cost 54 cents per mile to drive to the range. Finding bullseye at a competitive price is a score these days. You did not over pay for a single pound or two of powder. Count yourself lucky to have access to it.

I have not back figured price per pound on my last order. 16 pounds plus haz-mat plus shipping. I have Wilgens great program that has price per round calculator in it. I don't even want to know. I drive Amish taxi and can tell you within 2 cents per mile what it cost to run a 17 passenger van. I have to know that in order to be reputable, fair and not loose my tail. I don't shoot to make money.

Another cost consideration. With full power J bullets barrel wear is a very high cost of per round cost. With my 243 Win rifles bullets about equal cost of barrel wear. With cast at 1,850 fps barrel wear is almost nill and bullet cost for cast is just a couple cents. 11 grains of Unique under an 84 grain cast bullet averages .875" at 100 in a ten mph wind. From a light varmint rifle with Leopold 6.5x20X scope. recoil is nill and muzzle blast does no harm if you have simple ear protection. It's an all day shooter. Full velocity jacketed bullet loads down a 243 Win barrel cost 28 cents per round just for the barrel. At 59 years of age I'll not live long enough to wear out a barrel in 6mm bore with cast boolits. Even with grandkids running them all day long. AKA five bucks is not even tip money.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

A jug here today was 144.99 plus tax, so was the unique and it's now gone. some aren't running the prices out of sight.

Love Life
    I'd rather be at the range complaining that I paid to much for powder than be on the internet complaining that I can't find any powder. I've found good deals for some powders, and I've paid out the wazoo for some powders. There is a whole lot of comfort to a stocked larder that a backorder at an "acceptable" price just can't give you.

Boolit Grand Master

It is what it is. Pay the man and enjoy the process of reloading and shooting.

Boolit Man
    Since I'm low on small pistol primers I was hoping to combine primers and powder for an internet order (he also has CCI's for 31.99 a brick). If only Wideners had Bullseye I could get 4lbs and a case of s&b primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'd rather be at the range complaining that I paid to much for powder than be on the internet complaining that I can't find any powder. I've found good deals for some powders, and I've paid out the wazoo for some powders. There is a whole lot of comfort to a stocked larder that a backorder at an "acceptable" price just can't give you.
    That's what I was implying . That..... I have also paid a heavy price for a few powders, but you can still find a good deal also, I grabbed the unique.
    Last edited by butch2570; 02-27-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Boolit Master

When an addict has been without they start to get sick. How long did you stay clean before you gave in?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Two weeks ago I bought an 8 ponder of Red Dot. 189.99. Figures out to be around 23.00 a pound. Store had 1 pounders on hand, 28.00. Considering that is the first Alliant powder I've seen on a gun store shelf in a 50 mile radius in over 2 years, I figure I saved 40.00.

Boolit Grand Master

Same price over here in Rome. A stones throw from Mentone. Beautiful area up there.

Chalk it all up to Inflation, what did powder sell for back in the late 40's? Penny's per pound?

Fact is sometimes it is worth paying some extra dollars just for the satisfaction of knowing if the SHTF I have at least powder and primer to stay alive with for a while.

You went with Bullseye, I chose Red Dot, should have bought a LOT once, ended up buying 3-4 pounds twice and paid hazmat twice. Ok, not the worst 28$ mistake I ever made.

I recently bought 2 pounds of IMR 4227 from Bass Pro (Who seems to still have it and 4 other pistol powders) along with 3k primers, 2k of large rifle and a spare 1k of small pistol.

I have enough to load a LOT for the next 10 years, bought and paid for. If the SHTF money in the bank is going to be worthless, powder and primers in the ammo can will be priceless.

Seems like a good trade. How often can you buy peace of mind for 200$?

Got 2 lbs BE from Bass Pro a couple weeks ago - $28 per lb -- did not blink an eye!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast