Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Thinning Bees Wax with Olive Oil

Thinning Bees Wax with Olive Oil

Need to know if anyone has used Olive Oil to thin bees wax for lubing felt over powder wads??

I have used "Wonder Wads" and they work well, for keeping the fouling down in long strings. But they run $10/100 around here and thats too rich for my blood.

I just got done cutting 200+ .380 wads for her 38-55 and her 36 New Police Cap and Ball. And 100+ for my 45-70 and 44 cap and ball. Now I need to get them lubed up.

If you know what mixture bees wax to olive oil will work, I'de appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks In Advance,

TowTrees

Did I say we are going to a BP only shoot???

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Just add some yellow coloring, and mint smell, and you will have the formula for Bore Butter.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

My BP lube is 5 parts beeswax to 4 parts olive oil (the virgin type, whatever that means). I put the wads in a small zip lock bag with a gob of the lube and zap them in the micro-wave until the wads are saturated. Works for me.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I use 50-50 bees wax and olive oil for bullet lube and it works fine. I have also soaked felt wads in it and they worked well as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Start @ 50/50. Being Italian...I like to use Olive Oil, but that's not a requirement. BTW: the "extra virgin" label is reserved for oil from the first cold pressing of the olives. The flavor is excellent when compared to later production. Once again...not necessary when making lube...but wonderful when cooking..!!
    Best Wishes...
    Don

50/50 works good for dry skin too!

Boolit Buddy
    In the hills south of the Kaw river, Kansas
    I put some lanolin in it and works great for cracked hands. e.g. beeswax, lanolin and olive oil. Haven't tried it for bullet lube yet.

Jim
    ...Praise Him all creatures here below...

tall grass:

Been using 50/50 bee's wax and olive oil with a dash of anhydrous lanolin for quite some time and it works right fine. 45x2.4 sharps, 45-70 and 30-55 all with black.

RD