RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardness tester

Boolit Master

So a link to buy a carbine tree???? Have not seen one in the thread

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    So a link to buy a carbine tree???? Have not seen one in the thread
    Yes you did!
    See my post #10 above. Follow the links.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwraith View Post
    After all the research I've done on a hardness tester I went with the CabinE Tree. Apparently, it was sold to ST Machining and available at www.cowboybullets.com, albeit by a different name . I ordered mine last week and eagerly await its arrival.

http://www.cowboybullets.com/Lead-Tester_p_57.html
    look under ST machining and then lead tester.

Boolit Bub

Tenbender
    When I started casting about 12 years ago, I got a Saeco somewhere along the way. I did not know about this website. I just wanted a reference as to the hardness of my bullets. I don't think I need to know hardness of ingots as they appear to be different in different places on the ingot, have you noticed that an ingot cools from the outside in. I want to know what my bullets will come out to be, I could care less about an ingot. I melt several ingots down and make 10 or more bullets and then test, then take notes then turn them back into ingots and put the notes in the tray of these ingots. This has worked for me. This will not (or is) be an exact science and I can make repeatable mixes by hardness and weight (same mold). You do not need "15.8 BHN" numbers, just a rough idea as to what you have and go from there. I am an engineering technician (over 40 years) and have learned to take notes and a firm believer in the KISS principle (Kept It Simple Silly). Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am a graduate engineer and just luuuuuuuve details, acccuracy, and repeatability of "stuff".

However, I feel people seem to get too "down in the weeds" on this hardness measuring thing. We are not working in an NIST traceable metrology lab. We are simply melting, mixing, and casting boolits AROUND the hardness we feel we need. A unit or two either way is no big thing in my book.

But it is extremely nice to have a tester (I have a Cabine and Lee) to get a handle on what you are doing. I have a friend that cannot afford one and I got him started using the artist pencil set test. Good enough for what he needs. And reasonably close to my tests I did.

Now that I have started PC'ing all my boolits, I really do not concern myself with exact hardness that much. Anything in the 10-12 range or so +PC is good enough for 90% of the shooting I do. Anything sonic I use Cu GC's. Full out BTTW rifle loads are still FMJ's.

But we should not get hung up with hardness. Back in the day, everything was Lyman#2. That is old school. Today, fit is far more important than hardness.

If you have a commercial hardness tester, use it to get in the ballpark. But don't get bogged down trying to mix 15.56 Bhn!

My opinion.......your mileage may vary.

banger-j

Boolit Bub

Hey bangerjim
    I have worked with many engineers to provide data for their "stuff". I like details, accuracy and repeatability as well. Using the Saeco gets me close and I can repeat what I come up with. I do not like to get bogged down with too much info, the engineers used to say I provided to much info (over think things). I have learned to ease back on that when it comes to casting and reloading, but I do keep accurate records of almost everything that goes into a reload combination. I think we agree that it is not necessary to get to bogged down in the hardness number, fit is another very important ingredient in the "recipe" for a good round. I don't know what you mean by "PC'ing all my boolits", but I think we agree there is a lot more to it than just hardness.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Yes you did!
    See my post #10 above. Follow the links.

banger
    Then Why not call it the www.cowboybullets.com tester????

Boolit Master

I bought a LBT for the direct readout. I like it. Quick and easy to use.

I have a simple system. I use a digital caliper. I place the boolit between the jaws, set to zero then squeeze between forefinger and thumb and read the impression depth. It only gives me an idea of relative hardness. One day I plan to mount a pair of spheres on the jaws and set up a known force system so I can actually read the hardness in BHN (Boolit Hardness Number ).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I have used a friends Saeco several times previously. before I bought a LBT, when they first came out and it is the best of the two.

In Remembrance
    Could one of you Cabine Tree owners do a reading for me?
    Use a piece of 20-1 (lead/tin) alloy, and tell me what the tester says the hardness is.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Then Why not call it the www.cowboybullets.com tester????
    We all bought them over the past many years from The CabineTree Company and correctly call it that. He has recently sold the rights to the making of the device to some other outfit.

Call it what you want, but if talking about hardness testers on here, we all know what a Cabine is. It will always be called a Cabine tester to MOST of us!!!!!!! Calling it a "cowboybullet tester" will only lead to tons of questions and mass confusion.
    Glad you located the source and hope you acquire one. You will not be sorry.

banger-j

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Could one of you Cabine Tree owners do a reading for me?
    Use a piece of 20-1 (lead/tin) alloy, and tell me what the tester says the hardness is.

CM
    Would be happy to but I do not have or ever use that specific mix of alloy. Best thing is have someone test the small piece/boolits you send them. Much better and eliminates any errors in mixing, tec.

banger-j

Boolit Grand Master

I don't use that alloy either, but if you want to send me a sample I'll be glad to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwraith View Post
    After all the research I've done on a hardness tester I went with the CabinE Tree. Apparently, it was sold to ST Machining and available at www.cowboybullets.com, albeit by a different name . I ordered mine last week and eagerly await its arrival.

http://www.cowboybullets.com/Lead-Tester_p_57.html
    So mine finally arrived today. Have to say it is worth the money. Well made, very repeatable and easy to use. Works really well on ingots and most of my swc style bullets. Had to flatten my round nose 9mm with a hammer on an anvil to get it to stop slipping off the nose while testing.

I recommend it for sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabine_tree_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	133489 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabine_bullet_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	133490 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabine_bullet_flat.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	133491 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabine_bullet_flat_tested.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	133492 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabine_bullet_2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	133493
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Boolit Grand Master
    Use a T-NUT to hold the boolits in the Cabine. Works great for all the many cal's I have. No slipage, not filing flat spots.

banger-j

Still waiting on mine.
    Cloud, how long did it take after ordering to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
    Still waiting on mine.
    Cloud, how long did it take after ordering to get there?
    They were closed until the 4th. They shipped that day, but USPS was slow and just delivered today.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Ordered mine at the same time over the phone, didn't get a track #

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I don't use that alloy either, but if you want to send me a sample I'll be glad to test it.
    Thanks for the offer, but the subject probably isn't worth the hassle of mailing samples.
    If it were, I would say that, if you send me a sample of some actual mystery metal with a reading from your Cabine Tree, I would be happy to tell you what the 'real' BHN is.

But, I'll just wait for a chance to get a reading on 20-1 from a BPCR shooter who has a Cabine Tree tester.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.