Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Need light 44 special load for charter arms bulldog

Need light 44 special load for charter arms bulldog

I have a new SS 44 special Charter Arms 2.5" and an NEI bevel base mold that casts
    224 grains with WW. Need suggestions on experience with a light load with Unique. These will be practice loads.

Thanks

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

Boolit Buddy

Alliant list 6.3gr Unique behind a 240gr LSWC. Their test barrel was 5.5" and the load produced 820fps. If it were me I'd try and find a faster powder than Unique, something like W231 or Bullseye.

JD

Boolit Master
    Since even SAAMI listed loads in 44 Special isn't heavy I would pick a powder that I wanted to use and start at starting load (That is curious) and work up to max (SAAMI so as not to cause an uproar with the non-understanding) and pick what I like.
    Bullseye, Titegroup, W231/HP38 will be good.
    I bet you knew this all along right?

Thanks 44mag#1. Had a pretty good idea but sometimes there are more experienced folks out there. )

I have a lot of Unique but also WST, red dot, a little bullseye and a lot of WSF. So let the games begin.

Thanks

seabreeze
    What is important in life? Things....or Honor/ integrity/Service and Humility?

I've tried some starting and medium loads with WSF & Power Pistol and they were much more than I wanted. Even some of the upper Reddot loads were pretty brutal in the bulldog.

Don't be surprised if you are quite a bit below suggested loads. Now, some of those that are quite nice in a 629 are punishing in the bulldog.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master
    "Don't be surprised if you are quite a bit below suggested loads. Now, some of those that are quite nice in a 629 are punishing in the bulldog."

There is a price one pays for everything.

Boolit Man
    45th ed. of lyman's...

232gr. cast, accuracy load = Bullseye @ 5.3gr. for 863fps, in a Colt S.A.A. 5.5 bbl

seabreeze 133

I shoot a 44 Special Bulldog with an older Group Buy boolit that casts 215 grains

I load 6.0 grains of Green Dot, it shoots to the sights also.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master
    I am an old member and a friend of mine asked me to post here.

This happened to me the first time I took this gun out. I was shooting some one elses reloads. about round 75 she blew apart. Nobody hurt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NCM_0827-X2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	132476

Name:	NCM_0830-L.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	132477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NCM_0828-X3.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	132478

Boolit Master
    "I am an old member and a friend of mine asked me to post here.

This happened to me the first time I took this gun out. I was shooting some one elses reloads. about round 75 she blew apart. Nobody hurt."

What are you saying?

Boolit Master
    I called charter and told them it blew up because of reloads. They said send it in. I asked for a shipping label. She asked me how old the gun was. I told her I took it home tuesday night. I blew it before work at the range the net morning. She sent me a free shipping label. I sent a letter telling them what happened. I asked if they could use the parts and make me a new gun for partial cost. They sent me a new gun with a new serial #.

I will tell this to the world.

Here are a few targets from the new gun.

Name:	NCM_0887-X2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	132501

Name:	NCM_0980-L.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	132502

Ok..., any idea what 'someone else's' reload was?

Congrats on the new lead launcher, hope the new one doesn't see any more of those loads. I'd say Charter went out of their way to make a happy customer.

One more question..., has the experience change the way you think, just before that trigger breaks and the hammer falls? I was very impressed with your groups - especially after going through that experience - thanks for sharing that.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master
    I can tell you the whole story if you want.

My dad has a 3" Smith and Wesson model 624 purchased around 1985. He reloads.

One day I was at his place and he asked me to fire a few test rounds out of his gun.

I fired three shots and handed the gun back to him saying too hot. Hurts my hand.

Fast forward to last year. My dad is getting old and losing his eyesight. I kept finding his guns loaded, so my Mom and i discussed it. I took all ammunition out of their house. Next I get a thing for the bulldog. When I bought the gun, a box of 44 special were almost $50.00 I said no thanks.

I pulled out a few boxes of reloads and took them to the indoor range the next morning before work.

You saw the pictures. I pulled the rest of those boxes of ammo. I found ONE with a gas check and 9,5 grians of unknown powder. I do not know any more and please do not make an internet diagnoses. What happened is done. I fired ALL the rest of the 44 special I had in my Ruger Super Redhawk.

Do I now know what the term gun shy means? sort of. It did not scare me when it happened. I was just a little concerened, but hey.

This gun with those 800 fps loads are enough for me to develop a flinch. I really have to concentrate and relax to shoot the gun. I tried some lighter loads in the gun but prefer the ones I use now. They have plenty of power, standard pressure. If I want lighter , I will get out my 38.

I carry this on occasion for protection. I feel quite comfortable with it. Its a little better ballistics than my Light weight officers ACP firing a 200 grian @ 845 fps.

They have my gun blowing up on camera and were deciding on discipline for me. I repaired any damage the gun did to the range and after a while, I was OK.

David

Boolit Master

I also have a CA Bulldog. Mine is blued steel and I picked it up offa online auction for $200. No hammer spur and I love it. I did run into the same problems as you regarding recoil. I had loaded up some 240 GR SWC cast boolits over 6 Gr of Unique and it was not fun.

I cut it back to 5 Gr and it was almost pleasant. Up to about 5.5 Gr is about all the fun I want in this gun. I also have a Ruger Bisley BH with a 5.5" bbl. A 6 gr Unique loading in that bigger and heavier revolter is like a powder puff .38 WC. I am well past the days of wanting a bigger noise and more MV. It is all about round placement and concealability for me. I also have a New Model Ruger Vaquero w/ 5.5" bbl in 45 Colt. Believe this or not but it is pretty much my full time carry gun. With a high quality holster from El Paso along with a very stiff belt it is comfortable all day long. And this hog leg will shoot!
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.