RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: universal Arms 256 Ferret carbine

universal Arms 256 Ferret carbine

Picked up a Universal Arms carbine in .256 Ferret. Looks new to me are they any good.Is ammo hard to find.
    Last edited by xringdave; 02-27-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Banned

I remember those. Wow! An M1 carbine in .256 Winchester. I bet that would be fun. Ballistically, probably a big improvement over the .30 Carbine too.

Boolit Master
    The cartridge is a good round but I would not choose any autoloader chambered for a discontinued caliber that required me to form all my too easily lost brass.

bhn22
    A 256 M1 Carbine? Cool! I've heard of them, but have never seen one in person. The 256 does require special forming dies to neck down from 357 magnum, but we've already seen two sets of them offered in S&S so far this year, so we know they're out there. This could be a treasure.

Boolit Master

Cool rifle. I have a contender in 256 win, i heard all the horror stories of expensive forming dies, etc. I got antsy and tried forming 357s in the fl die, no real trouble, just used either Imperial wax or diluted Lee sizing lube. Just take your time, push down the press handle slowly to give the brass time to flow. Good luck and good shooting. Tim

Will be on the hunt for a die set.

Boolit Master
    I don't think that there can be much doubt about this being an excellent cartridge for a small, light carbine - better than the original for small game, and the carbine never was going to be a large-game rifle, unless you count humans who have seen in movies that being shot means hospital time at the very least.

Just guessing, but I think it might be finickier about semi-auto operation than the original .30 version. It would operate at higher pressure if you want to get the best out of the .256, and Marsh Williams's gas operation consists of kinetic energy delivered by a momentary blow from a captive tappet, rather than a piston moving at the same time as the bolt. I think there is more brass in contact with the chamber wall, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Well that is interesting. I always quite liked the little M1 but not so much the cartridge. I knew a gunsmith years ago that suggested re-barreling to .35 cal and using cut down .308 brass. That would have been like the old Winchester .351 SL round.

I would be more interested in the .256 "Ferret" (Never heard that one either) or the .30 carbine brass necked down to .22.

Any feeding problems with the rimmed brass? I would have figured necking down the original cartridge or maybe .223 brass would make for better feeding but then again, there have been numerous rimmed semi auto rounds that have been successful... and if the same 12 .256 Win then factory brass should be available. Easy enough to form if not.

Ought to be a fun gun in any case.

Longbow

Haven't shot the rifle yet, waiting on some dies and bullets so i can reload for it.It was built in the early 60's before the 223 was popular.

Boolit Master
    A Universal Carbine in .256?
    <
    A rare duck indeed and just completely too cool for school.
    I envy your find.
    When you gather up some dies and work out the loading details please let us know how it shoots.
    <
    Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    I had a .256 Ferret 30 years ago, and still regret selling it.
    I have considered getting another one, or building one on a SKS receiver since the bolt face will fit the .357 case.

Boolit Master

.256 brass is not the easiest to find, our own Grumpa can make some for you I think. I have under construction a mdl92 action being turned into a .256 win mag. very expensive project and taking a long time to get it done. But it will hopefully be a fun thing when I get everything done. I have to maybe have a custom mold designed for it. Its only money and better spent then other ways of spending it
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is an interesting website that tells more than most people want to know about Universal carbines: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal.html

I have not had any problems with my Universal Carbine; but I don't really shoot it all that much, either.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post

.256 brass is not the easiest to find, our own Grumpa can make some for you I think.

FYI - The .256 is a necked-down .357 Magnum. Brass is just about everywhere.

A friend made his abused .25-20 Winchester Model 92 into a .256 via re-chambering, plus some work on the cartridge guides. (E-Z Peazy)

I remember liking those Universal .256 M1 Carbines, when they were first introduced - I hope you enjoy it.

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Ballistically, probably a big improvement over the .30 Carbine too.
    All the years of .30 carbine bashing has finally convinced me to start a new organization.

It will be called the "NAACC", the national association for the advancement of the carbine cartridge.

Boolit Master
    C&H makes a forming die to make 256 Winchester. I forget the particulars but it takes the 357 brass to about .300 and then run it through the 256 Winchester FL die to finish. No loss brass.
    Leadmelter
    MI