MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: M1 Garand loads??

Boolit Buddy
    I bought some H-3895 for use with the 311365 198-200 grain group buy NOE
    34 grains of H-4895 sound right? what OAL?

Boolit Master
    I know this is an older thread but I wanted to thank the posters above for the various info for CB in the M1 Garand. I have 8 lbs of WC852 ('slow lot' / comparable to IMR4831, that I haven't been able to find a use for) and the # 311284 - so it sounds like I have a good place to start.

Dumb question on this load however (I haven't shot CB from rifles for many years); will ~40-45 grs produce significantly less muzzle blast from my Garand compared to M2 ball?
    The reason that I am asking is that in the last few years I have went towards shooting suppressed (in other rifles) and am less & less interested in moving in the reverse direction.
    Thanks,

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have used Lyman 311284 and 311291 in my garands with decent results with 4895 and 3031. The 284's need to be seated a bit deeper so that the OAL doesn't interfere with seating the full clip, but it doesn't seem to effect the grouping. I have used 4831 but it burned somewhat dirtier than the other two powders. No problem with lead shaving or gas port fouling. LLS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    I know this is an older thread but I wanted to thank the posters above for the various info for CB in the M1 Garand. I have 8 lbs of WC852 ('slow lot' / comparable to IMR4831, that I haven't been able to find a use for) and the # 311284 - so it sounds like I have a good place to start.

Dumb question on this load however (I haven't shot CB from rifles for many years); will ~40-45 grs produce significantly less muzzle blast from my Garand compared to M2 ball?
    The reason that I am asking is that in the last few years I have went towards shooting suppressed (in other rifles) and am less & less interested in moving in the reverse direction.
    Thanks,
    Sorry to bump this thread with a re-quote of my post from last December, but I'm still interested in the solution to my above query if anybody with more experience has an opinion.

Looking for some guidance on a minimum load; the caveat is that this 'slow lot' of WC852 should be slightly harder to ignite than typical 4831 - so minimum loads are somewhat riskier.
    I know that 4895 might be a better choice for going low, but this 8 lb jug of 852 is all I have to work with.
    Thanks,

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use the HM2-.312-160-5 bullet, based on the Ed Harris design, with 40 grains of IMR4064 in LC cases with WLR primers.
    Groups at 100 and 200 yards are shown. Rifle is a CMP rebuild with new spring kit, so operates stiffly and lighter loads would not cycle. If you rifle is older, smoother operating with tired springs try 35 grains and see how it flies.

Attachment 170700Attachment 170701
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread with a re-quote of my post from last December, but I'm still interested in the solution to my above query if anybody with more experience has an opinion.

Looking for some guidance on a minimum load; the caveat is that this 'slow lot' of WC852 should be slightly harder to ignite than typical 4831 - so minimum loads are somewhat riskier.
    I know that 4895 might be a better choice for going low, but this 8 lb jug of 852 is all I have to work with.
    Thanks,
    The Garand and cast boolits is always a balancing act when trying to get accuracy with function. Almost everyone who posts on the M1 Garand and cast boolit threads agree that 33 to 36 grains of 4895 or 4064 works in their rifles with a heavier boolit. That's the recipe for my Garands, but you can do a search for M1 Garands and probably find many different takes on the matter.

My thinking is that the slow versions of WC852 will work, but as you surmise, it may not combust well with the reduced load levels used for cast boolits. I don't recall any posts singing its praises with cast in the M1, but I may have missed something. Perhaps a magnum primer with the 852 will help things along. Why not just buy a pound of moderately burning stick powder of known performance that operates within the needed parameter?

As far as your original question regarding muzzle blast: I'd bet that M2 Ball will be louder, but by how much is hard to say. I'd wear ear protection with either.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 06-23-2016 at 07:18 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to advise against reduced loads of 852 in anything.

my reasoning is:
    1.) 4350 and slower powders used in reduced charges have been implicated in SEE cases or at the very least odd pressure excursions.
    2.) Reducing ball powders tends to result in erratic performance and strange pressure occurrences and when being advised to light it with a magnum primer, I think you might be begging for that experience.

I'd get some 4895, 4064, or 5744 that you can fill the case with and get good results. Keep the 852 for something where you can fill the case and shoot it. (300 WM is a great round for burning lots of 4350 or 4831).
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Question Which mold is the best?

Hello all, I've posted this same message on different threads hoping to get the most knowledgeable info as possible.
    I was able to finally get an M1 Garand in my collection. I am wanting to reload cast "boolits" for this particular rifle. I've reloaded for other 30-06 rifles (bolt action and pump action). I have a question about which mold to get. I am looking at the NOE molds 311332, 311365, 311299 or the 312299. Can anyone give me a recommendation for one or another? Would I have feeding issues with round nose cast "boolits (the 311299/312299) versus the spire points (311332/311365)? I planned on using either IMR4898 or H4898 starting at 30 grains and working up. Whatever advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    Shooting cast in the Garand is more of a FUN thing for me than a measured accuracy game?

Clearing 8 pop cans full of water off the backstop with one clip of cast hand loads in about 10 seconds at 50 yards wearing only a T-shirt, hearing protection and the correct sling is MY idea of a good time with the Garand. It just puts a grin on your face without hurting your shoulder or your bank account. That gentle, slow push and seeing the cans fly away is addictive

I have had no failure to feed issues in my one and only M1 rifle from cast spire points including 311332 (duh!), round nose bullets such as 311291 or 311299, or even from bullets with a small flat point.

This M1 seems fairly forgiving of point shape compared to some shorter actions I have loaded cast for? In the small sampling of 7.62x39 and .308 auto rifles (and even some bolt guns) I personally have loaded for, it appears some round point projectiles and ESPECIALLY those with any type of FP may tend to impact at the breech to cause a jam. Most WERE designed for FMJ spitzer bullets.

311332 and RCBS 308 200 Sil. fed well in the Garand, but accuracy was so-so compared to 311291 or 311299 which also fed well. Heavier boolits have usually been better, I use slow for cast boolit powders for cast in the Garand as per Bob.

I should go back to work with a few other .30 moulds acquired since when I last loaded a bunch of testers for the Garand. Too may milsurps, too little time.

I ended up mounting a short rail that replaces the upper hand guard and an EER scope to play with the Garand loads, my 55 YO + eyes just were not good enough with the standard issue irons out past 50 yards.

We extended our rifle range past 240 yards this year, so maybe more on longer distances later.
    Last edited by Bert2368; 01-10-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Boolit Master
    The only drawback I've found shooting cast in my M1 was getting them to chamber. The throat on my M1 is very good (little wear). I've used several different cast bullets with great success-- but then a friend gave me some 311284 to try out I had bolt lockup problems - the rounds would chamber but too tightly-- and then the bolt would not easily open. After much experimenting I discovered that the crimp groove on the 311284's made the nose hit the rifling on crimped loads. I took a set of cases and trimmed the 0.01 under the standard trim length and they worked fine.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    I believe the pictures will tell what needs to be said...except the reason the 4th and 5th shots went out was because the target turned into a faded grey mass..(old eyes)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170125_142212.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	186186

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345