Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Some good advice to newbies

Yes to many of the above. It is not age that matters, but the attitude. Some folks come here with open mouths like baby birds waiting for mommy to put the worm in. They are not happy when mommy points them to where the worms are and says "go find your own". Mommy bird will also push them out of the next when it is time for them to fly and be on their own.

Some folks of all ages, don't like to be pushed out of the nest to find their own worms. People of all ages, who are independent free standing people who do their own thinking and research have a negative response to folks do don't want to do the same. We try and help folks on this board become experienced bullet casters and reloaders and will go to great lengths to help them, IF they are willing to take on responsibility for their own continued learning. Some folks are not willing and as Shakespear said; "Ay there is the rub!".

With this said, I will cease my involvement is this thread. The subject matter is becoming Zombie like, in that you can't kill it and it just keeps coming back to life over and over again.

Over and Out!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

As someone who personally found reloading manuals to be dense tomes written in another language and translated 3 or 4 times before finally being printed in English I can understand the frustration of the newer reloaders and their dislike for "old men". Problem is, those "old men" have been asked that question countless times and have gotten sour at telling people the trim length of 8mm Mauser. So here's a few good things that helped me along the way:
    *google is your friend, if you can't find the answer on one forum someone somewhere else has probably asked and gotten some semblance of an answer to your question
    *there really are some great videos on YouTube for new people to reloading and casting
    *the reloading manuals will offer their knowledge as you're ready to accept it
    *dont taunt the caged tiger by calling him an "old man"

Love Life
    My dear sweet mother, who is 52 years old, has been reloading 9mm on a Lee Pro 1000 since January. While down for Christmas at her house, all I did was set the press up and give her a Hornady manual along with powder, primers, brass, bullets, etc . I told her I would be back in March to walk her through the process.

Early January she called me and said her first load work up was a success. Huh? Hold the phone!! I told her I would be there in March. She said " I read the book you gave me and just followed the directions."

I love my mom!! Her and my father will corroborate the story if anybody feels the need to call and ask, and she can be found at Larry's Pistol and Pawn shooting quite often.

That's the long and short of it to me. Read the book, do some 'sperimenting, and get on with it.

Like casting. Get lead hot, pour it into a mould using a bottom pour, spoon, or ladle, dump the bullets and voila!! Adjust fire from there.

I'm far from being a crotchety old codger, I find the references to younger folk annoying, but it boils down to being able to follow simple instructions and practical application. Also, dies come with set up instructions.

I help where it is needed, but I ignore when the help is readily available via manuals, included instructions, manufacturers websites, etc.

I also like my fried chicken soaked in buttermilk for a couple hours before battering and frying.

Banned

Only experts can get the Lee progressives to work, therefore, I disbelieve this based on that "fact."

Love Life
    The lee progressive was easy peasy. The priming system isn't the best, but if you can count beyond 3 then you can monitor your primer level and be fine. You are more than welcome to shoot against her at Larry's. Even though she has switched to left hand shooting due to a right arm injury, my money is still on her...and she shoots a 45 most of the time.

Boolit Master
    Quote "I have a young son, I hope his generation takes technology to a whole new level I couldn't have imagined.
    I don't want him to be stuck in the past as to how he accesses information."

Yes!! Absolutely!! Good for you!

Quote "The fact that his school still teaches going to the library, using Dewey decimal system, card catalogs, and long division on a blackboard is insane."

Until he is somewhere needing an answer --- and the battery on whatever gadget he depends is dead! There are good reasons to know "how to do things the hard way".
    R.D.M.

My wife gives me that 'look' when I try to tell the GKs that they are training (in training) to be winners/losers - quitters/finishers right now. You play like you practice! I can only drop hints of what works and what doesn't.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I am not a teacher, I am a doer. It takes all kinds to make a world, and I know my limitations. Maybe that's why I revere good teachers so much.

Gear
    Unless you do it in secret "Doers" are teachers! I learned a lot at my father's and grandfathers' elbows watching and learning what they did. Patiently explaining the science or logic behind it is helpful but that depends on the student's needs.

Doing and sharing is teaching be it new casters' questions or old casters' answers. New questions make me think how I would I solve it, answers make me think how and wonder what the next step is.

Signed the perpetual student. (Now back to studying for a certification.)
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Wow! Great thread you started Blackwater.
    First thought is I'm old and have been casting and reloading for over 45 years.
    When I joined this forum (after being a lookie loo) I was new to trying to cast for a 45-70 after only casting pistol for many years. I spent a lot of time reading sticky's then posed some questions. Many of the responses suggested prior posts (good), many answered my questions and a few treated me like a fool (not so good).
    One even went so far as to send me some boolits to try (really good).
    This is a good forum. Thanks for being here!
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

While the message is of course the great value of your post, it's also an extraordinary pleasure to find viewpoints and guidance expressed so well in writing. Nicely thought out, nicely executed!
    If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner. T Bankhead

Moderator Emeritus

One last thing, and then I think we're done here. If you've ever watched casters at work, it's likely you didn't notice much difference in what they were doing, whether they were rank newbies or old hands. That's because there ISN'T much difference. It's what's going on inside their heads that's different. The more experienced caster is observing alloy temp by noticing how long the sprues take to solidify, how "thin" the pour appears to be, and useful stuff like that. Likely as not, the newbie will be worrying about all sorts of questions in his mind, and NOT focusing on what's right in front of him. That, as it turns out, is a HUGE difference. One is focused on what he's doing, and the other on all sorts of questions, many of which really don't matter, or if they do, not by much. Getting good results depends on your focus and intensity of your observation. This really isn't rocket science, and there's no point in sacrificing chickens to the new moon, or any of that stuff. It's just a good and worthy task that can help us shoot a lot more and a lot cheaper, and make better bullets that we can't or needn't buy. The rest is all about lubing, loading and shooting them, and that too depends on our focus and observational powers. Just use those, and quit worrying (EXCEPT about safety, of course) and you'll suddenly start getting results just like the old codgers do. There are no "secrets" or mysteries involved in this. Yes, once they're cast, there's a lot of choices to be made, like fitting to the throats, lube choice for the purpose at hand, powder charges for best accuracy, etc., but by and large, this is pretty easy stuff. It just takes our attention and focus. That's really about all there is to it. Too many of us old timers have basically taught ourselves for it to be mysterious or difficult. If we can do it that way, you younger and/or newbies to casting can do the same, and it ought to be even easier for you with such a great resource as this board to help you or confirm your suspicions or apprehensions, and you'll find the old heads here plenty willing to help, even if it's only a guess. Just give us the facts, as best as you know to, and together, there's really nothing I can think of we can't handle for you. One amongst us at least, will have likely dealt with the very same issue. Just another point I thought ought to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    One last thing, and then I think we're done here. If you've ever watched casters at work, it's likely you didn't notice much difference in what they were doing, whether they were rank newbies or old hands. That's because there ISN'T much difference. It's what's going on inside their heads that's different. The more experienced caster is observing alloy temp by noticing how long the sprues take to solidify, how "thin" the pour appears to be, and useful stuff like that. Likely as not, the newbie will be worrying about all sorts of questions in his mind, and NOT focusing on what's right in front of him.
    So it's just like golf.
    If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner. T Bankhead

Moderator Emeritus

Exactly. I started golf late in life, AFTER I'd hurt my back, so my backswing (which controls everything that comes afterward) was .... um .... let's say "variable." Couldn't get a consistent backswing for love nor money. It just wasn't possible, given my back's condition. But I kept doggedly trying, and like many golfers, played for two or three "perfect" shots a round, which was about 2-3% of my game at the time. Then the yips hit my putting as I kept playing, which I'd hoped to help my back, but was instead hurting it. So .... I can well identify with many newbies who aren't getting their desired results right off the bat. At least they don't have to give up the game like I did with golf. My old Scots heritage HATED to do that, but ..... life's about choices in the end, and that was one I HAD to make, so I did. And if the younger/newer casters will give up a little of their "modern" attitude, and simply apply the older (and maybe more "difficult[?]") but more rewarding path, I think they'll be very surprised at how quickly they can become "old pros" too. I know it works 'cause I've seen it happen, and not just a few times, either. Charles Swindoll said attitude is one of the most important things we can have. It can control our success in any endeavor we fling ourselves upon, and casting is but one of the simpler ones. Now, I think we're REALLY done here?

Boolit Grand Master
    And all this is why casting is as much an art as it is a science
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234