Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Talk me into it or out of it...

Talk me into it or out of it...

The wife (gotta good one!) gave me the green light on getting a new toy. At first I thought I would build a target revolver off of a S&W 67 with Douglas barrel and all the good stuff. Now I'm thinking that the new Dan Wesson 715 may be the way to go. This will be used strictly for target so I want something that is built tough with out of the box accuracy. I know Smith's but have never had a DW. Any DW guys out there that can give me some info based on experience?

Boolit Master

My old PPC revolver was built on a S&W Model 15 and has proven to be very accurate and produced beaucoup figurines for the shelf back in the day. I only shot/shoot it double action though. As you know Smiths are very amenable to DA tuning. I've never owned a DW, but the ones that I've shot didn't seem to be as smooth as an equivalent S&W. I always like the switch barrel and grip features of the DW revolvers.

For single action bullseye shooting with one arm with a revolver, I've generally used a K Frame Model 14 in 38 Special. I tried it for a while with an N Frame Model 28, but it was a bit heavy for me in that mode.

I don't think that you'd go wrong with the Smith. Can't comment on the DW with any authority.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

All things being equal, I would go with the S&W.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Trigger has a different feel. I never got accustomed to it double action, but the single action is right there. Mine never made it past range toy.
    Try before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Trigger has a different feel. I never got accustomed to it double action, but the single action is right there. Mine never made it past range toy.
    Try before you buy.
    Zim,
    And here is the real issue. Finding a new DW 715 to lay hands on is difficult to say the least. Closest one I could find is in the next state over. I like Smith's enough to own several, but have heard and read good things about DW. What I really want is a dedicated .38 special that is capable of competitive small groups out to 50 yards. Yes, I could build one for just a few dollars more but can't find a reputable gunsmith in my area that I would trust to do the work. Thought about having someone like Clark build one for me but they are a year out and, word has it, not what they used to be. I'm wide open for any ideas anyone may have.

Boolit Master

I have and have had plenty of S&W and only kept two revolvers, a 686 and a J frame, have 4 Dan Wesson's and won't get rid of any of them, for straight out of the box trigger pull double or single DW can't be beat that goes for accuracy also. With a little tuning and a spring kit the triggers put s&w to shame. I have heard that the new DW 715 was having a few issues but the customer service is second to none and the repair work if needed is done quick.
    if you want a very good strong revolver that will take whatever you can load for them buy a DW.

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look at the 686 competition.

The DW I shot were nice and very robust, but I really like my Smiths
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 02-26-2015 at 09:51 PM.

I have sold all my S&W 357's down the river but have two Dan Wesson's I won't sell.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a couple of DW, but I never saw one that had a really nice double action. I liked the switch barrel aspect, but they were not winners at PPC. I have heard tell that they were great at Silhouettes when shot single action, but I only shot one pistol silhouette match, so I cannot comment honestly on that aspect.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Having both firearms I'd have to say that the dw has the advantage over the s&w ppc. Don't get me wrong, the s&w triggers are sweet & these things only got 1 speed "Grip it & rip it". My model 10 ppc eats the mihec 148g hbwc's like candy.

[IMG][/IMG]

With a little work the triggers on the dw's clean up nicely, their no s&w, but their close. The real advantages of the dw's are their versatility. It isn't just "I can change the bbl on them", it's what can that bbl change do for me. It's nothing to get a 8" bbl with a low profile front sight for hunting or a low profile front sight on a 4" bbl for sd/hd. Or either change the front sights out (different colors, heights, inserts or partridge) to anything you want. Or get custom twist bbl's (cheap, around $30 apiece) for long shot/long bodied bullets.

I like to use the heavy bbl shrouds with muzzle breaks on my dw's for beating & banging on steel & bowling pins with full house 357 loads. The heavy 4" shrouded dw weighs as much as my 6" 586. Those muzzle breaks are the cat's meow!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Some different bbl's I use with my dw's.

[IMG][/IMG]

A as nib 8" bbl dw I picked up a year and a half ago.

[IMG][/IMG]

I do need to pick up another 2 1/2" bbl for the dw's.

Either way you go you're going to end up with an excellent revolver. The only real difference is once you have a s&w you're locked into that firearm. With the dw's, you're only a barrel change away from a cc to silhouettes.

Boolit Master
    IMO the money spent on custom gunwork is better spent on range time and ammo. Why not just get a stock 586 and shoot it? It seems you've got a hankerin' for a DW, like an itch that won't go away until you scratch it. Buy both. Sell one after a while. Or do you custom bull barrel work later while you still have another one to shoot while your custom work is getting done. Then sell one.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    IMO the money spent on custom gunwork is better spent on range time and ammo. Why not just get a stock 586 and shoot it? It seems you've got a hankerin' for a DW, like an itch that won't go away until you scratch it. Buy both. Sell one after a while. Or do you custom bull barrel work later while you still have another one to shoot while your custom work is getting done. Then sell one.
    Actually, that's kind of where I'm at. Currently own two 686 Smiths, a 6" and a 4" Plus and like them both. Both have had trigger work done by Smiths Performance Center and break like glass. The DW just intrigued me so much I just ordered one a few hours ago. As you said, Don't like it, sell it. I know me well enough that I wouldn't be happy until I at least tried one "on for size". I'll run a range report and post it here as soon as time allows. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Boolit Master

Lookin' forward to the report. After all, an 18 Bravo should really do a good job on the report, even if it isn't belt fed!

Signed: 18 Zulu
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    Lookin' forward to the report. After all, an 18 Bravo should really do a good job on the report, even if it isn't belt fed!

Signed: 18 Zulu
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm actually much better with a four deuce.....easier to hit the bulls eye.

Boolit Master
    Google Clarks Custom guns. They still do ppc conversions and if I remember right do them using a model 10 as the base for the conversion. At a local gun show ran into a colt trooper that had been converted for ppc. Sweet looking handgun but the dealer wanted what I thought was way too much $$$ for it. Frank

I would go with the S&W as it has a lot more parts accessories and gunsmiths out there for it. Had a few DW's and they were alright revolvers but with a definitely different DA pull. Good luck and have fun with whatever you get!