Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Blackhawks...which one?

Ruger Blackhawks...which one?

Went to local gun shop today and put a Ruger Bisley Flattop in 44 Special on the wishlist.
    I did not realize that Lipsey's still had this model listed until this morning.
    Have couple guns being sold and would like their replacement to be a Blackhawk.
    Been looking at Blackhawks in 357 and 45 when I ran across this.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Currently leaning towards the Bisley Flattop but also looked at 357 and 45, thinking 6.5" or 5.5" barrel respectively, and probably spring for conversion cylinder if went this route.

Hoping to do some deer hunting and general purpose gun for when I'm outdoors, maybe even pack for self defense.

Have learned a lot so far from browsing this site and am interested in any thoughts on these choices. Thanks.

DN

Vendor Sponsor

The .357 you can use or load full power loads in no matter which Ruger it is.

The new model flattop is built on the medium frame, so it's a little smaller and the cylinder walls are a little thinner than the full size Blackhawk or SBH, so you have to keep in mind that if you get a .45 on the medium frame, 23,000psi or .45 ACP +P is as far as it goes on the power scale, it cannot handle the "Ruger Only" loads for .45 Colt that the full size large framed guns can handle.

The .44 Special, -could- be handloaded to this 23,000psi max and be VERY deadly on deer, and the gun would be perfectly safe at this loading, it would be a lot of fun to shoot and won't have the recoil that the full power loads in the large framed guns can produce. I would think you could get a 200gr boolit to 1200f/s rather easily and still remain in sensible pressure levels, maybe even get a 240 to 1100 or 1150f/s and still be sensible about it.

About your conversion cylinder, you pretty much need to buy a convertible if you want this functionality in .45 caliber, unless it left the factory with the second cylinder, Ruger will not fit one to it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have the exact gun (4 5/8") you ordered. You will love it. Mine is more accurate when I use loads closer to the upper end of the published limits. The Lyman 429421 is a perfect projectile for the special.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the NMBH in both .357 and .44 spcl. I've owned the .357 longer and really love it. I've only had the .44 for a couple of weeks. The feel of shooting it over the .357 is much different. The gun is lighter, the balance of the gun is noticeably different and the recoil feels different as well. I appreciate the fact that the .44 spcl is as accurate as my .357. In my estimation, one would not go wrong with either one.

Boolit Grand Master

The new flat tops have the older style XR3 grip frame and while good for handling, can really mess your knuckles up in short order with stout loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have a .44sp on my wishlist too. 'Like I need to add a new caliber to my hobby.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 44 Special is one of the most accurate guns I own. It is the only 44 special I have ever used that has lived up to the reputation that the caliber has for accuracy. I'd buy the 44 if I could count on it being as good as the one I already have. It shoots the "Skeeter" load wonderfully well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

I have the NM Blackhawk in 44 Special with the 5 1/2" barrel and love it. I'm loading 15.0 grains of 2400 for an average around 1,113 fps with the 429421. It groups around 2" at 25 yards off a rest with this load. I carried it javelina hunting a few weeks ago and it packs very nicely. I also like the Bisley's and wouldn't hesitate to get one. You can't go wrong with any you described but I'm very partial to 44 Special and 45 Colt.

Boolit Master
    I have a 4 5/8" flat top bisley in 44 spl, I picked up mine just after they came out. To give you an idea how much action it sees, I had most of the blueing worn off the sides of the barrel within about two months of owning it. I run three loads in it, the Keith, the Skeeter and one I developed with red dot under a 200gr HP.

In my mind, the only think that could top this ruger would be a 4 5/8 bisley flat top medium frame in 357 mag.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

I recently came across a stainless 5.5" .45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk for $600...

Boolit Grand Master

I have a pair of the Lipsey Flattop .44 Specials (actually a 5.5" Lipsey and a 4 5/8" Talo flattop to be accurate). They can handle 25,000 psi loads all day long. Elmer Keith's load was at the 25,000 psi level and these handguns can handle them without issue (see Brian Pearce's article in the Handloader June/July 2009 #260).

I have a number of .44 Magnum handguns so my general purpose load in the .44 Special flattops is the old Skeeter load (7.5 grs. of Unique behind a 250 gr Keith).

Don't confuse the strength of a medium frame .44 Special with a medium frame .45 Colt (the Special will handle a bit more pressure).

FWIW
    Dale53

Thanks for the replies. I have wanted a Ruger Bisley since I first hefted one at a Bass Pro Shop several years back. Felt amazing in my hand. Main thing I'm wondering now is how long of a wait do I have to look forward to.

NavyVet,
    You have the gun I have drooled over. I think that combination would be perfect but with the price going up and up I think I am going for the 44 special version and no doubt be very content. Love the thought of being able to shoot heavy 45 Colt for hunting and 45 acp for plinking and general use. In all reality though where I am in the KY, OH, WV area I have no real need for heavy loads. A round of snakeshot maybe and five rounds of 44 should handle anything I need done. If not, I should have had a rifle too.

Thanks again.

DN

Boolit Master
    You will enjoy your gun. I immediately got a pair of the 44 Specials when Lipsey's offered them in the Blackhawk style. NEVER have I regretted it.
    I also own several of Ruger's 45 cal SA's, including the same exact gun NavyVet has. I love them. Those were considered a "Williams exclusive."

Perma-Banned

Those 44 special's, well, they are indeed, special. I have 3 of them and they are simply hard to beat...without doubt, my favorite Ruger's.

Banned

I have three of the 44 specials too one blue, one stainless, and a bisley.
    I also have the 45 acp convertible..
    I like my 41 mag hunter best of all,,,, okay, okay it's not an option here.

I do like the 44's with a set of new pachmeyer grips added.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nickeda85 View Post
    NavyVet,
    You have the gun I have drooled over. I think that combination would be perfect but with the price going up and up I think I am going for the 44 special version and no doubt be very content. Love the thought of being able to shoot heavy 45 Colt for hunting and 45 acp for plinking and general use. In all reality though where I am in the KY, OH, WV area I have no real need for heavy loads. A round of snakeshot maybe and five rounds of 44 should handle anything I need done. If not, I should have had a rifle too.
    I was just checking out Armslist.com about 2 weeks ago and stumbled across it. Wasn't even particularly looking for a Ruger, much less one in .45 Colt / .45 ACP. I like to haggle (too much time spent overseas, I guess), so I offered him a bit less, but he wouldn't budge, but I did get him to toss in 100 pieces of brand new .45 Colt brass.

Boolit Master
    NavyVet, I gave $650 for mine NIB. You didn't need to haggle too much. Those guns are desirable to many! You got a fair deal.

After 50 years deep into sixguns, I still don't get the fascination with the 44 Special. I have had many over the years and they have not proved more accurate than most other calibers. I know gun writers push the 44 Special as the nee plus ultra, but it has not proved to be so in my hands. There is nothing the 44 Special will do the 44 Magnum won't do doubled in spades. The magnum gives sterling accuracy all the way up the velocity scale from powder puff to full snort loads.

I like the 357 Magnum, the 44 Magnum and the 45 Colt in the Ruger SA handguns. My 357 is a 1971 old model, my 44 Magnum is a 1962 Super Blackhawk and my 45 is a Lipsey's 45 Flattop convertible. I would hate to choose just one, they are all fine sixguns.

I only have one 44 Special these days and it is a 1931 Smith and Wesson Hand Ejector that has been over the bench at Micro Sight back in the early 50 and has been upgraded to a serious target grade handgun. I don't shoot it often, but at least I can say I own a 44 Special. Here are the pics because that is the way we roll. We like pics on this board.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE=Char-Gar;3161570]After 50 years deep into sixguns, I still don't get the fascination with the 44 Special. QUOTE

Same here, amigo.

The .44 Magnum case has served me well since the late '60s, at every load level I could conceive.

From my ".44 Lite" (200 @ 800 fps) to full-snort RCBS 250s at over 1500 fps, the cartridge simply does whatever I need in the line of a .44 revolver.

I've never owned or loaded a single .44 Special case. Never needed it, never wanted it, don't miss it.

Clearly-identifiable loads in Magnum brass do it all for me.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Banned

"I know gun writers push the 44 Special as the nee (sic) plus ultra..."

It is all good by me. .44 Special makes sense to me, but obviously not to all. I had a Charter Arms in .44 Special and felt safe with it. I get why some really like the .44 Special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast