MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Lee

Boolit Buddy

Question about Lee

Does anyone know why Lee don't recommend using Federal primers in their progressive (Pro 1000) presses? Has anyone ever used Federal primers in the Lee presses? I use CCI's but I picked up 1k Federals at a steal and would like to use them if it's safe.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Master

If you are going to use them use the blast shield. I had a chain detonation using them in my LoadMaster. In fact, after having that happen and the scar on my upper lip from it I do recommend the blast shield on it anyway, and you do use safety glasses when you reload, right?

I think the new Lee hand primer was redesigned to allow the use of the non CCI primers. IIRC, there is a sliding gate that closes behind the primer and is supposed to prevent a gang detonation.

You might check the instructions again. I seem to recall that you could use non CCI primers; but the suggested limit was 20 at a time vs 100.
    Last edited by dudel; 03-17-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Master

Federals have a reputation for being more "sensitive" than other makes. Based on their packaging versus other brands, I tend to believe this.

Boolit Master
    Because Lee does not do enough engineering research and testing to ensure his products will work with all primers.
    Everyone else to the best of my knowledge can make loading tools that work with Federal primers.
    Lee didn't even have that limitation on his whack a mole tool that drives in the primer with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by 3jimbo3 View Post
    Does anyone know why Lee don't recommend using Federal primers in their progressive (Pro 1000) presses? Has anyone ever used Federal primers in the Lee presses? I use CCI's but I picked up 1k Federals at a steal and would like to use them if it's safe.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Went to Lee FAQ

http://leeprecision.net/support/imag...strictions.pdf

Explicitly says, no Federal

I do not believe there is a blast shield for the P1k

Boolit Master
    Lee had a spat with Fed. and now is trying to blackball them, which won't work because Fed. are some of the best primers out there. It started out with Lee blaming Fed. because of a design problem with Lee equip........it's all just sour grapes.

Chain fire is the issue, CCI are least likely to accidentally ignite and set off a chain fire of all the primers in the tube or hopper.

I think the current Lee Auto Prime hand held priming tool removes the primer brand restriction because the design provides some barrier between the current primer being set and the hopper. Not sure on that because I looked at them but don't own one.

The on the press Lee Auto prime does allow for other brands because the primer supply is not in contact with the primer being seated. No risk of a chain fire from the primer currently being set.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Because Lee does not do enough engineering research and testing to ensure his products will work with all primers.
    Everyone else to the best of my knowledge can make loading tools that work with Federal primers.
    Lee didn't even have that limitation on his whack a mole tool that drives in the primer with a hammer.
    My dillon 650 also recommends that you not use federal primers for the detonation reasons. So it's not just a Lee problem.

I run a Load Master with the blast shield installed. I load all my handgun loads with lg. pistol Federal Match primers. After loading thousand upon thousands of cartridges I have smashed a few primers but I've never had one go off. (knock on wood I guess)
    For rifle cartridges I use any brand of primer and also have not had a problem.

Boolit Grand Master

RUMOR alert! I read about this situation several years ago and it was tossed around quite a bit that Lee was in a pi$$ing match with Federal dealing with some marketing/advertising issues, so Lee included the "no Federal primers" warning...

Take it for what it's worth; internet information...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Take the following with a grain of salt Gentlemen:
    In the late 80's or early 90's? Federal began producing their primers in the large square boxes (trays) we are now familiar with. They were no compatible with Lee's hand primer nor the RCBS tool. Lee got wind of the packaging change and tried to persuade Fed from doing so because they would be awkward to load in the hand priming tray. The primer tray was larger than the priming tool tray.

Fed refused, Lee had to redesign his priming tool to accomodate the larger primer packaging. Remember the old round priming tool tray? Its long gone. That's what I was told. Who knows? I have used many thousands of Federal primers with a variety of priming methods and not one has detonated. Of any brand for that matter.
    Its not the AR-15, its the PG -13.

Boolit Buddy

This is some good information, something to think about. I will proceed but extremely cautious. Thanks for the input guys.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Federal primers are the choice of many handloaders and has been mine for many years. I have used all brands as I started reloading in 1968 with a Lee 38 spl. hammer kit. It was called the hammer kit because you used a hammer along with the Lee tools to perform all the reloading steps. That included seating the primer and it relied on a spring to stop any primers from being detonated. It did not work to perfection and caused me to fall backwards more than once, checking my body for any fresh wounds.
    So they have not always had safe equipment. I still have that original 38 loader.
    I feel that Federal was acting upon the advise of their lawyers when they went to the large carton. They did not want to be involved in any law suits because of inferior packaging. I just can't believe that they took on this huge expense to cause Lee a problem. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I won't use Federal in my Pro 1000. I stick to CCI or prime off the press and then run them through with the primer punch backed out.

Federal has to use the large primer packaging to meet the DOT shipping regulations. All the other primer manufacturers can meet the regs with smaller containers because their primers are less likely to "gang fire". I grabbed this from another forum, someone there asked Federal about the package sizing.

Federal uses only basic lead styphnate. All other manufacturers use normal lead styphnate. The difference between the two forms is the pH (basic vs. neutral) at which the crystals are formed, the molecular makeup, and final crystal morph.

It is true that the Federal packaging is for DOT compliance. Specifically it is for the DOT-6C burn test compliance. All primer manufacturers use package spacing to comply with DOT sympathetic detonation requirements. Federal primers are known for being the best igniters in the industry. This is because they produce the highest level of hot particulate with the lowest gaseous overpressure, at the slowest rate.

Sincerely,
    Federal Communications Team

Last edited by c1skout; 03-01-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    During the first "primer crisis" I went through, in the 90's if I remember right Clinton in office. The only primers I could get were Federal and the priming tool I was using was the Lee round tray hand tool. I started off with only 10 or 20 primers in the tray at a time holding everything at arms length. Long story short no kabooms and 5k primers later everything still working.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Banned
    Richard Lee covers it in the first edition of Modern Reloading. Says the same as the Federal boys, the difference between "basic" and "normal" lead styphnate. Says Federal primers are just as good as any other brand, but don't use them in the older Lee hand priming tool. The Pro-1000's priming system is similar. Said it wasn't a slam against Federal, just the way the different formulas could react. More fun to paint him as evil and hating Federal though...

Other primer issue to be cognoscente of is that some semi-auto's have floating firing pins that in the process of loading ammo into the chamber can give a hit to the cartridge primer before the hammer is lowered - and harder cup primers are recommended so that you don't get a slam fire.

I use Winchester and CCI myself for those sensitive firearms like Mini-14, SKS etc.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    If you want to see slamfires, try a MAS 49/56 with pretty much any standard primer. CCI 34's are the only way to go with them, as far as I am concerned. Otherwise be prepared for between 40% to 70% slamfires.

Boolit Bub
    I have two Lee Automators, which is basically a conversion from a single stage to a Pro1000. I had several boxes of Federal small and large pistol primers that I wanted to use up. I was a bit leery at first but never had any issues with them. I would do it again. I always wear safety glasses, and I think everyone should.
    I did have a buddy of mine who had one CCI primer go off while loading on a Lee loadmaster. He also had safety glasses on and it scared the daylights out of him. He thinks it may be because the primer went in sideways. Fortunately it did not set off a chain explosion.
    Seating primers is all about paying attention and having the right feel for it. I know right away when something just does not feel right, and to stop exerting pressure. I normally do not purchase Federal primers just because of the their warning, but have to agree they are of excellent quality. Safe reloading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast