WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osha??????

Boolit Buddy

Osha??????

I talked to my dentist about obtaining lead from her x-ray films. She said she was having to pay to have it removed. She said she would give it to me instead, but had to check first. Spoke to her the other day and she said she checked and was told that there was an OSHA standard about hazardous waste, and this was considered hazardous waste because it had been in peoples mouths. Sounds like someone was BSing her. Anyone know if this is true? If not, is there some documentation out there that I can show her to prove this is BS?

I have heard the same story from tire shops. - But the hazard was the lead.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

hp246
    You should have told her that you will run it through your lead sterilizer before you use it.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    hp246
    You should have told her that you will run it through your lead sterilizer before you use it.

Ken
    She is squared away. I think she knows it is BS, but has concerns about liability. If I could show her something that counters what she was told, she'd give it to me.

Boolit Master

Osha controls workplace,
    EPA controls hazardous waste,
    She can take it from there...

Boolit Master

My dentist said the same thing and he wouldn't give in.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Banned

Biohazard. Removal/disposal services must have proper accountability/licensing, same as septic service companies or waste oil removal services. These things are regulated, discover what it takes to become part of the system so you can do it with full legality, and undercut the competition. Maybe you'll be able to start a new business, but beware, you're likely going to have to deal with REAL biohazard and sharps disposal issues as well if you do. There is a reason those service providers charge money.

Gear

Boolit Master

Gear is spot on. And a paper trail on hazardous waste with end user responsiblity.

Boolit Master
    My dentist is giving me his lead foil from x-rays. There are only about 12-15 lbs every six months, but it is good stuff. About Bhn 12-13.

Boolit Master
    https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...rds&p_id=10030

I just scanned it, but it appears to deal with airborne lead particles and the requirements the employer has to safeguard employees from the same. I saw nothing related to disposal of lead. Might be worth printing out and taking back to them with the question as to what part of the OSHA standard they would be violating.

The chain of accountability is to prevent things like medical waste from being dumped in the nearest large body of water or a hole in the woods. East coast had a huge problem with medical waste washing up on the shore, and there have been fair number of incidents of barrels of waste oil and the like just being dumped off of back roads or some farmers "back 40". Once the barrels rust and start to leak there is a huge mess, well water contamination and that sort of thing.

So requiring responsible disposal makes sense, however it is too bad that your assurances that they will get sterilized in a measured 700 degree lead bath and that you are smart enough to wear gloves when handling is not acceptable.... But one thing puzzles me, the lead foil does NOT go in anyone's mouth. It comes off the film holder before it is inserted. The films themselves are bio hazards, the foil is scrap metal. Only if the two go into the same container do they both become bio hazard due to cross contamination. You might try clarifying that you only want the metal foil that comes off BEFORE the x-ray film is used. They may be dumping them in same container, offer 25 cents a pound for the metal if they keep them separate so the foil is not contaminated. Money talks as they say.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

I enter the Dentist office with rubber gloves in hand, and a heavy sealable plastic bag. I assure them that the lead and bag will be placed into a 700+* environment before being touched. I also show them fishing sinkers and bullets that I've cast.
    So far I've got lead from all that still use the old style XRays.
    It pays to show, up front, that you are aware of the Bio Hazards involved and are prepared to safely deal with it.
    BTW, those lead sheets have been in a wet environment. Use caution when adding to your pot.
    Last edited by mold maker; 02-25-2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: warning added

Boolit Master
    I used to get very pure lead scrap from three dentists. But all three have long since quit using "film" on X-ray, its all digital now. I don't think there is any more lead foil with those types of cameras. The foil never really produced much lead when rendered anyway. X-ray room sheeting used to be the bomb - nice thick sheet lead in big rolls, but now its way thinner and has a paper backing or even gypsum board on it. Hospitals seem to be always putting in new and removing old rooms, so ask the guy in charge of cleaning at the hospital, he may have a room full of the old stuff and out the back door for a few bucks in beer money.

I've taken to having my lead and alloy metals delivered to my door from foundry. Price is relatively high until you factor your time, fuel, and rendering efforts into the equation. Seems like a bargain when all else is considered.

prs

Boolit Master
    Oh, I forgot to mention, I "think" OSHA is only a concern for businesses employing 50 or more employees. Is that correct. That would be one helluva dental practice!

prs

Boolit Master

The girls at my dentist's office give me a new toothbrush,toothpaste,mouthwash and however many lead foils they have on hand when I leave after cleanings. Many years ago I mentioned casting bullets to the dentist and he asked me if I wanted the foils. He had about 40 lbs at the time! Since then I get a few pounds each visit. It works out good for both of us.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    osha can visit any size business, any time , anywhere.

Boolit Buddy
    Skip the dentist's office and go talk to people in the roofing/demo/construction trades, they have piles of scrap lead all the time and often it just gets chucked in the dumpster because most scrap dealers are so greedy they will only pay about 20-30 cents a pound for lead.

Boolit Master

My dentist always sends me home with a bag of lead foil every time I'm in. They have a tech that strips off the paper/plastic outer layer before I get it, so the biohazard argument is moot.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info guys. She specifically said "OSHA". I know exactly what OSHA is, so that is why I thought who ever she is paying to take it off her hands was BS ing her. I know EPA regulates lead, etc., with OSHA covering workplace safety. It is quite a busy practice. She said she get rid of 50 lbs at a time. I don't want to push too hard because she is a good dentist, and takes care of me when need be.(hockey player)

Boolit Master

Waste is NOT waste until it is declared waste by the user.
    So if the dentist would not declare it waste but a byproduct and then
    either sell or give it to you, that should be the end as far as the lead part is concerned.

As far a bio waste, I do not know

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast