WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: OLd Eynsford powder

Boolit Buddy

OLd Eynsford powder

Anyone tried this in a 40-65? If so, what granulation and what results did you get? I'm thinking of trying and looking for any recommendation for or against.

Boolit Master

I have had tremendous luck in my 45-70 but so far I haven't found the load that my 40-65 likes. I had a good load with Swiss 2F and I'm using OE 2F now and it isn't quite the same. Weather here has sucked for several weeks so I'm not getting any closer. At the last outing I was just over 2 MOA at 125yd with 60 gr and a Snover boolit. The rifle is a Badger 16" twist on a Ballard action.
    I prefer to test at 300yd but sometimes I have to get the shooting session in at what I can with time and weather limits.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I have heard from one shooter that 58 grs of OE 2f and the lyman snover was looking very promising.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

My load has been rem large rifle primer. ( I also use a aluminum foil disc between primer and case ), 57 grns 2f old ensford, a napa fiber rubber wad .060 thk, compressed to depth for 400 grn old west nasa bullet. Starline cases. SPG lube in the big groove on the bullet no grease cookie. Im just shy of the rifling by .010 or so. I shot this load most of last summer with good results from my CPA Shilouette model. 30" barrel. With the lyman snover you might want to drop powder back to 54-55 grns as it seats deeper than the nasa into the case. I find the old ensfords fouling much easier to work with than goexs havent done any work with swiss yet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I have heard from one shooter that 58 grs of OE 2f and the lyman snover was looking very promising.
    I started at 56gr and worked up to 62gr in 2gr increments. 60gr was the best but the 62 was very close and could have been me. Next batch will start at 59 and go up in 1gr increments. 56gr was no compression and the worst group. Lots of things left to try.

Bob

Boz from what I've found with it in other cartridges, the stuff likes about .250 up to around .3 compression.

Boolit Master
    It is interesting how often you hear 58gr as a good charge for the .40-65, regardless of powder type. I use that weight, but in Goex FFFg Express. The rifle just shot ok until I switched to the Saeco 740 bullet and it was like someone turned on the accuracy switch.

Chris.

Our 40-65 roller really likes the rcbs 400 CSA. We haven't shot the thing for 3-4 years, and have loaned it out to a family with a handful of youngsters so the kids can have a rifle to get started on. I need to take them that mould block and a couple pounds of the OE and see what they can do with it.

Boolit Master

Don, that is what I found in my 45-70, and the 60gr load in the 40-65 is just shy of that .250 and the 62gr load might have been at .300 or just under. I shot a 1200yd match back in Oct and upped the load in the 45-70 to 73gr and it performed quite well when the wind wasn't blowing. We had a right cross wind at 1000 and 1100 that took 25MOA to correct for. My scores were less than stellar. My wind and mirage reading skills leave a lot to be desired at this point. I waited a little late in life to start this addiction.

Bob

Boz when you get into that sort of winds, there's nothing going to help a fella at 1000 yds. Last years bptr national scores are a good example of this. John Venhaus got his name on the Castle Trophy with a score of 502 6x, normally that score would be in the top 10 but not by much.. and only 6 x's in a 60 round two day total speaks volumes about the difficulty in shooting in hard winds. Bryan Youngberg was right behind him with a 502 5x.
    So don't fret the small stuff on the score board, you just go thru the entire event in your mind , make adjustment where you think you need to, put your bigboy pants on and get ready for the next go round.

I have been shooting 58gr 2F OE in my 40-65 since it first came out. Compression to seat a 410 grain PJ creedmoor is right at .300 which leaves my bullet .100 of f the lands. I've tried loads above and below but always came back to 58. I use a Rem 9-1/2 primer and a 0.019 cardboard wad, Emmert's lube. One damp patch between shots.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master

Boz when you get into that sort of winds, there's nothing going to help a fella at 1000 yds. Last years bptr national scores are a good example of this. John Venhaus got his name on the Castle Trophy with a score of 502 6x, normally that score would be in the top 10 but not by much.. and only 6 x's in a 60 round two day total speaks volumes about the difficulty in shooting in hard winds. Bryan Youngberg was right behind him with a 502 5x.
    So don't fret the small stuff on the score board, you just go thru the entire event in your mind , make adjustment where you think you need to, put your bigboy pants on and get ready for the next go round.
    No problem there the only guy I try to beat is me from the last match. Biggest problem we have at Camp Atterbury is there is no backstop (just trees) and if the pit crew can't call your misses you struggle. The other problem is that the range faces south and the sun never gets on the targets.

Funny story. There were a bunch of SEAL Snipers working out with there Barrets on one of the ranges adjacent to the BP guys. The SEALS quit shooting because the wind got to bad. So they strolled over to the range where the ML and BPCR guys were shooting to see what the hell was going on. There the BP guys were shooting and getting hits with iron sights.

Bob

Bob I'ld like to make it to one of those matches at Atterbury.
    I do enjoy the challenge of the long range stuff, and like you only worry about competing with myself. Really like the matches like the High Plains Challenge at Byers, where you fire three 10 shot strings at 1000 yds, with only yourself for a spotter after the third shot.

Boolit Master
    Really like the matches like the High Plains Challenge at Byers, where you fire three 10 shot strings at 1000 yds, with only yourself for a spotter after the third shot.
    That sounds like fun!

Chris.

It's a hoot, hope you can make it this year.

Boolit Master
    It's a hoot, hope you can make it this year.
    Don is that match a part of the three long range matches at Byers? I'm starting to get my ducks in a row. I've got my paperwork approved so I can attend matches, I'll be retired again on Monday, and the weather is looking up. My wife found a huge flea market in Colorado Springs so she is interested in a Colorado road trip too

Chris.

Yes Chris it's the first leg of the Rocky Mtn Regional in late August.
    There are flea markets all over the place down there.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Don.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess this thread has drifted some hunh

2Tite
    62 gr OE 1 1/2 works wonders in my 40-65 with no compression and GG bullet seated out touching the lands