Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: H110, 158 gn lead SWC, .357 magnum

Boolit Buddy

H110, 158 gn lead SWC, .357 magnum

I noticed data for this combination is a little thin but I really want to cook up some magnum loads. The bullet I'm using is the 18BNH Missouri .357 action. I've been told this needs a stout push to seal well.

I eventually want to switch both my magnums to 2400 but I can't find any right now.

My cast bullet handbook is on order but I was curious as to how this combination works for other people. 15.0 -16.0 seems to be the commonly accepted range. My Lyman manual agrees.

Moderator Emeritus

Always did fine for me. I'd use 15.5 gr. to start with, and see how that does in your gun. A buddy uses 16.7 gr. in his Marlin carbine with 158 J-types. His load is straight out of the Hodgdon's Annual Manual and has been in that one for years now. H110/W296 are supposed to be the exact same powder now, and they've shown some tendency to need less with cast than they'll take with jacketed, so keep that in mind when you're loading.

Boolit Master
    I don't have my data with me, but as I recall I've tried loads in the 15-16 gr range with the mihec 360640 mold that drops ~170 gr. It shoots very accurately from my 357 blackhawk.

As much as I enjoy the writings of Elmer Keith and Paco Kelley, I've never been able to get top notch accuracy with 2400 in the 357, but once I swapped to H-110 groups shrank right down to where I expected them to be.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon discourages the use of H110/296 with cast bullets. But, this never discouraged me all that much. I too have felt that h110/296 gives better accuracy than 2400, IMR 4227 and Blue Dot. I've loaded both .357 and .44mag with h110/296 over cast bullets. I'm more inclined to use 2400 though. It just seems to have a better reputation for being user friendly and less finicky about temperatures and such. I'll sacrifice a smidge of accuracy for those traits. I just don't have a real need for a round that hot anyway, unless I just want to feel full power. H110/296 are top-notch powders that will put a smile on your face, even with cast. Just remember to use a magnum primer and a strong crimp. Some say that starting below the minimum can be problematic, leading to squibs and such. I don't know if that is fact. Stick to the data, and you will be happy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Hodgdon discourages the use of H110/296 with cast bullets.
    Where is this published?

Boolit Master

Mike, I've loaded a heap of 158 plain base cast at .357 using 15.0 grains of h110. I would recommend .358 diameter but otherwise you are on track for a fine load. I ran these in a Smith and Wesson 681 with fixed sights and they hit point of aim.

Oh and I agree, magnum primers only.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    I'm running a .358 diameter bullet and magnum primers out of a 6 inch 586

Boolit Grand Master
    Paul H, continuing on this discussion of using H110 with medium-heavy bullets, I'd like to know more about your experiences using this powder with 170 grain bullets... I'll be using bullets from the Lyman 358429 (Keith-type) mould. This looks like it ought to work OK(??) but I'd like to start from someone else's successful experience. Of course there is no such load listed by Hodgdon. FWIW these are intended for a Model 686 (no dash, no M) so I'm comfortable with high end loads.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Where is this published?
    I found this out by calling there tech support. I wanted load data for cast and h110, but it wasn't available in the manuals I had or on Hodgdons website. Hodgdons Tech support insisted that this was a poor combination for reasons they refused to state, and that H110 should only be used with jacketed bullets. Nothing about this is published. All I have to back it up is a phone call I made to tech support. Like I said, I didn't put much faith in that phone call. Too any people are happy with it.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know if I find that amusing or dumb. All I use H110 for is cast bullet loads. Ranges from light 125 grain right up to 180 heavyweights in 357. I see no need to stop using it since it works extremely well. A magnum primer, tight crimp and high load density is a recipe for high velocity w/ excellent accuracy. Only powder that beats it for velocity is LilGun. But I won't use that powder anymore.

Boolit Master

Perhaps they just don't have data for Lead and the person you talked to assumed because of that it wasn't a good choice, this is very incorrect as many here will attest.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Mike View Post
    I'm running a .358 diameter bullet and magnum primers out of a 6 inch 586
    I think you will be very happy with the load you are considering. I never went above 15.5 because in my gun, that load resulted in very flat primers and slight cratering around the firing pin. I also ran some 166 grain lee's with 14.5 gr of H110 as I recall, but as always my caution would be to look at a minimum of two sources of data.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Perhaps they just don't have data for Lead and the person you talked to assumed because of that it wasn't a good choice, this is very incorrect as many here will attest.
    I'm as puzzled about it as you are. Perhaps if enough bullet casters urged them to either update there manuals with data or provide published reasons for not using it, we could all be on the same page. Surely they would print something.

Boolit Mold
    I have a ruger match champion and I've worked up a load of 16.0 grains of W296 and 158 grain speer J-type deep curl. Accuracy dropped over that and 16.5 started to flatten primers. I tried going down to 15.7 but accuracy wasn't any better there either. When I went to look for some 2400, I too couldn't find any either. I have some power pistol and plenty of 296/110, so I'm not too worried.

Boolit Grand Master

15.5 gr H110 under a 358156 cast of 1-16 or COWWs +2% tin mixed 50/50 with lead, GC'f, AC'd in the 357 Magnum has been a staple load of mine for many years. On smaller game and varmints I HP the bullets to the 1st drive band with the 1/8" Forster HP tool. I use that load in L & N frame S&Ws, Ruger BHs and my Security Six and my Contender. Excellent load in Carbines also.

Larry Gibson

one of my standards as well.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Larry is Right on. Have shot this load for years.

Boolit Master

In 357 I`ve never run into trouble with any boolit as long as I used 80% of the space under the boolit.
    Good roll crimp & cci550s
    GP100man

Boolit Grand Master

This works well for me in multiple guns and with multiple boolits, this
    is 16.3 gr H110.

Also great with Lee 158 BB RF, LBT style.
    Last edited by MtGun44; 02-27-2015 at 09:15 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    15.7 grains with an RCBS 38-162 SWC GC is superbly accurate in my Rossi. RCBS lists hotter loads but this did all I could ask.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.