MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Case forming with water

Case forming with water

Here's a picture of the form die that I form my 3.25" long - 45 basis brass by using used primers and water. In stead of fire forming 200 to 300 cases and wasting powder, primers, bullets and my shoulder I had this water run hydrolic die made up. First you prime your new cases with used primers to hold the water in your case, fill case with water then insert it into the form die which is mounted in a reloading press ( surround form die with a small cloth) Holding the long punch, slip the tip into the top of the die and use a wooden mallet to knock the punch down causing a hydolic action to blow the case out to the dimensions you require for your rifle's chamber. One hit with the mallet was all that was required for enough force to form. Then I hand deprimed the cases and air dried them. Thought I would share this style of case forming in case others wanted to try this method or adapt it for their special case forming needs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1267.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	131975

HGS

Boolit Buddy
    What case are you making ?

Yo

This was the method I used to form 3.25"long - 45 caliber basic brass to match the chamber of my 45-120 sharps straight rifle instead of fireforming the brass. 200 smacks with a wooden mallet is a lot less work then loading 200 rounds up and shooting them to fireform your cases before you start building up a load.

HGS

Boolit Master
    I tried that method to deprime some berdan cases once! Yes it does work

Who makes this die? I would like to find out about them for some of my old wild cats I reload for. forming brass can take up a lot of my range time and I don't get much of it as it is

I am another who would like to have such a die. I agree with the OP fire forming is a waste of what are becoming difficult to find resources. Brodie

Here's a picture of the case form die & box that I got from Hornady, the number (#CDFRMDK) on the box stands for Custom Die Hydraulic Form Kit. Its a little spendy now, but wasn't to bad when I got it. They measure 3 to 5 of your once fired cases and build you a form die to fit your rifle's chamber measurement only.

I plan to pass this form die and Molds as a package down to the next generation with my rifle and eliminate fireforming and store bought ammo componets where possible.

Contact Ben at Hornady's custom shop for details.

HGS

Boolit Buddy
    I can't see the picture? Could just be me though.
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

Thanks M-Tecs for posting address's and info

The picture of the die box I posted comes in for me, is anyone else having problems seeing it as I had a lot of trouble posting it to this thread.

HGS

I can't see it either.