WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waitng for some decent weather

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Wasserburger's contention is that short patches work better on harder bullets. I'm not clear on whether McDowell noticed that part, or not ...
    Not only noticed it but Kenny and I have had many conversation in person, on the phone and via email on variety of things we have noticed in the pursuit of the paper patch accuracy loads.
    I use 16-1 quite often with the target patched ammo.
    The part that seems to slip right past some folks is when shooting the shorter patch and the "hyde" base wrap it takes a few minutes less elevation than does the longer patch particularly at long range distances. It does show up some at midrange/sillouette but not as pronounced as from the long lines.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I guess at this point I need to ask the question *** are you talking about? Why would I be schooling you on pulling the trigger twice and putting two slugs into the intended target when talking about paper patching?
    Well, those are your words, McDowell, so you can supply your own explanation of why you used them for a paper patching discussion.

The exchange went this way ...

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Would you point out that deformation on these two patched-to-groove bullets fired in 2012 and 2013 so that the newbies can understand what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    You mean other than the obvious imprint of the paper grain into the bullet and the double tap at the leading edge of the engraving on the rifling?
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    No, the 'double tap' is a function of not aligning the patch wraps correctly, not of being patched to groove diameter.
    And, the paper grain impression ... how do you know it isn't on your bullets, too?

Why do you consider that 'texture' to be 'deformation'?

I don't consider it to be a problem of any kind and Kurt seems to agree with me ... if his opinion matters.
    When he first saw one, he thought it had been breech seated.

Now, could you tell me again how that 'deformation' works?

CM
    You can find the rest of that in this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3049774 .

I used a green color to highlight your use of the term in question. I hope you can see it well enough to find the green asterisks that identify your 'double taps' in this image of six out of sixteen patches suffering from that problem ... and suffering from the fact that no two of them are patched to the same point on the ogive.

You'd think that a guy who shoots well enough to take fourth place could wrap paper better than that ...
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 02-25-2015 at 10:51 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

OH I see.. The double tap I was speaking of in your poor tortured bullets in particular the left bullet the double imprint of the rifling on just one land ...
    I'm not quite sure what you're pointing out in my picture, but you do need to know that the pencil lines on some of those patches are visible, if that's what you're calling "double tap"? Also on those original bullets you do need to realize that on account of the larger diameter base and smaller nose diameter, you either end up with a bit of unevenness of the paper on top, or around the base. I prefer it to be on the top of the patch. Of course it takes hands on experience with some things to know about them I suppose....

taps' in this image of six out of sixteen patches suffering from that problem ... and suffering from the fact that no two of them are patched to the same point on the ogive.
    And just for the sake of accuracy, there's 26 of the 44's and 20 of the 90's, and yes as I stated way early on, there are a couple of different patch heights for each bullet....Also two seating depths on the 44's but I really wasn't wanting to confuse any ol widder women...

Boolit Master
    As Don mentioned, I too am using 16-1 alloy, in my PP Loads. My shorter patched bullets show rifling to stop right at the top of the patch. I am here in Lusk not my home due to a serious accident I was in, last November. I can not do the many stairs in my own home, so doing my recovery and PT here in Lusk, under the care of my Girl Friend. I do not have any bullets to show here.

I have MC on block or ignore, so can't read his posts nor will I. I have no desire to hold any further discourse with a someone that admits he is posting to make trouble for me. Do not need that in my life right now.

On a side note: I took my first steps with weight on my shattered leg since Nov 13th. Yesterday in Gillette in surgery while Steph's daughter was getting ready for wrist surgery, my X-rays show a lot of new Bone Growth around my new titanium rods and screws.

Don and I are close friends, we have encouraged him, and shared everything we have been finding with him, as he has with us. His findings using felt wads mirrored Jimbo's results which now we are all using, his results with Olde Eynsford were what prompted me to try it. After several watermark tests one in the crucible known as Ben Avery at 800-900-1000 yards under the eye of Steve Rhoades, and several accuracy tests at Gillette Gun Club, I and Jimbo ordered 3 more cases of the stuff.

KW

Boolit Grand Master

I find these discussions informative and educational. I work with paper patched bullets occasionally and will start again when the weather warms some. Don Kenny and others here have been of great help to me. Mr. Wasserburger a speedy and full recovery to you . Im truly sorry to hear ot the accident. I am patching with the seth cole paper dry no taul just a covered base. My patches are 3/4" wide and come just short of the ogive on the brooks cup based bullet I cast. I made a little form in my patching borad with epoxy that matches the cup base on my bullet. I wrap dry fold patch over drop into pocket and a couple twist the base fold is ironed into the cup and nice and flat. BUllets sit on base square with no rock to them. My patch board set ptch square with a rail and bullet position from nose. I used 2 3/8 dowels on 7/16 center line ( this leaves 1/16" between dowels) instead of the saw cut and sharp edges. My bullets wrap up tight and consistent for me. The little pocket seems to really help tension the patch to the bullet.

Kenny it was grand to see that video Shatto posted of you walking down the hall at the Dr's office with the assistance of the walker.
    I feel bad that it seems next to impossible at times to have a good conversation on these forums. I do wonder at the comments of recent about how the "top shooters" stir up the trouble. Matter of fact I haven't seen any "top shooters" stir up much trouble. I have seen a top poster here and other places start throwing little digs and jabs around until he starts to get attention.
    I also feel bad about the blowup between Kurt and Kenny, and I'm positive had that conversation taken place in person both men would be laughing and sharing a beer. Both men I hold their friendship and guidance in quite high esteem. I do think the sort of **** we've seen just in this thread from a fella with a ton of posts but very little shooting experience goes along way to explain why there isn't an whole lot of activity on the forums. It's a bunch easier to have civil discussions over the phone or via email.
    We all have things to share and learn, but it gets lost in the fog sometimes and that's a sad deal. Blowing up someone's photograph , putting tiny little green astricks on something that isn't there, isn't contributing anything to a meaningful conversation, but it does add to his post count, and reputation .

Boolit Master
    Thanks a bunch Don it was a emotional and painful day yesterday but a grand one. Country Gent it sounds like you have a great set up with your patching board, keep at it.

My own reasons for wet-damp patching is the historical references I have found in my reasearch, It is mentioned by Phil Sharpe in his books, again in a old Ideal# 3 loading manual even down to the the bullet nose pointed to the right. My forest and Stream research, and the of course the Borchardt patching machine used a wet patch. As I do not have my books here it was either Sharpe or the ideal manual mentions wetting the patch on a damp sponge.

i have shot to many ragged hole targets at 200 yards, not 50 or a 100 but 200. To convince me of the accuracy, many people comment on the patch being shredded totally at the muzzle with this patching method. Perry makes mention of the vertical displayed on Hyde's targets saying it all, speaking volumes as he says. Mike Rix has mentioned my vertical several times in actual match conditions.

KW

Veticle is the great score killer, and it can be a tough monster to over come..

Boolit Master
    When you guys are short patching, how short are you going?

Most of my testing is unfortunately at 200m and you can have a fair bit of velocity variation and still get excellent vertical. I've learned a pile from you guys and others and am reasonably happy with my rifles performance at 200m, as well as 500m and 800m which is the furthest I've been able to shoot thus far.

With the stuff I've picked up here and elsewhere I've avoided the problems of too thick paper and dirt diggers as well as other problems. Advice from all of you guys has probably saved me a lot of testing time going down unproductive paths. Mind you, you guys have also cost me a pile in rifles as I hadn't really heard much about paper patching until I started reading the forums.

There is a lot of noise and sometimes conflicting advice, but I watch what the winners are up to

Chris.

Chris the second row of 45-90's is patched with a 3/4 inch wide patch, the first row is with 7/8 wide. The patch is folded over the base maybe 1/10 of an inch.

It's funny sometimes, but you can have a bullet that will shoot lights out from 2-600 yds and then go to pot at 800. Conversely I've had two bullets in the 44-77 that shot grand to 800 got dicey at 900 and didn't get anybetter at 1000. I had a bullet that was spectacular at 1000 until the wind came up.. then I just as well been throwin rocks, and the worst part is , lots of times a person doesn't stumble into that sort of learning curve until you're done with sighters and 4 shots into score...

Boolit Master
    Thanks Don. I've been using patches 0.875" long for the most part on my BACO .444" 540gr and .446" 535gr bullets. The .444" is the longer bullet and also has a longer shank so my patches are a bit shorter on that one. I have around the same amount of patch on the base as you.

You are right, there is no substitute for experience . I'm pretty sure that the .45 Money bullets are good at distance, at least as far as I've managed to shoot them. It also doesn't hurt that others are using them with success and I have similar muzzle velocities and alloys.

A while back I was uncertain about the 1.51" Money in my 1-18 twist .45-110 at 1360fps, but Kenny said they should be fine. They seem to work quite well at 800m, although I can't prove that they are stable as they have just been shot at gongs. This year it'll be paper, but with the new .45-90 using Dan's chamber design.

Chris.

Chris when shooting at gongs you can get an idea right quick if your having bullet stabilization problems, if you're getting bullet strikes way high and to one side or the other without any noticeable change in conditions. Also an unexplained dirt digger indicates the bullet loosing stability. Many folks think of a bullet being unstable and keyholing. Keyholing comes well after the bullet has lost stabilitiy. I've been able to see unstable bullets thru the spotting scope in flight and it looks like they are riding a circular staircase. Think of a top spinning and before it falls over (keyholing) it starts to wander around ( loosing stability).
    Sure hope to see you at one of the matches this season.

Boolit Buddy

Damm, I've been all excited to see temps above 20°. We still have at least 2.5 feet of snow on the ground.

Craig
    Live Free or Die Death is not the worst of all evils

Yessir I suspect you guys have had your fill of global warming this winter..

Finally got things together to get those rounds fired...Both bullets show some promise, a bit of tweeking here and there and they'll be fine.
    First up was the CPA at 800 yds with the Baco .446 money bullet. Used a few more than I would of liked to get the elevation, but had to come down about 15 minutes from the grease groove bullet settings, the winds were a bit twitchy coming from the front quarter. But there some promise showing here.

Next up was the 44-90 st at 600. Again there's a bit of promise being shown here, but the big disappointment is this new tank buster bullet wouldn't shoot dirty as I had hoped. There is a pretty fair group in a railroad tie under the target that we didn't see until later.
    All in all a decent mornings shooting.

Boolit Buddy

Saltner got me all excited with his Gibbs rifle posts.
    So I cast up a few bullets using my BACO .438 Money bullet mold and patched them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04723.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	134725

Figured I'd head up to my range and try some on the 500 yard ram swinger.
    Found this when I got there. I just wasn't in the mood to lay prone on icy cement and try to shoot over snow mountains.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04722.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	134728
    And, quite frankly, I've been digging through enough snow this winter so I'm NOT in the mood to drill the snow banks and dig out the bullets to see what they look like.
    There's a reason I love living in NH but I can't remember why right now

C
    Live Free or Die Death is not the worst of all evils

Well Craig those are darn fine looking bullets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12