RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case lube

Boolit Buddy

case lube

I would like the opinion's about Hornady One Shot case lube.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

I started using imperial and will not use anything else. $3 with free shipping on amazon. A little goes a long way!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My dad gave me 5 cans of it. Seems to work ok just didn't know much about it. Fixin to load about 60 Rem. 7 mag this weekend, will comment after that session.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

It's better than nothing but not my favorite.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    It's better than nothing but not my favorite.
    I don't use it on rifle cartridges any more. If it's a caliber that RCBS provides a lube die for, I use the RCBS lube die. If it isn't, I use Imperial. Tried the Hornady back in the past, got more than one stuck case using that stuff and it's a pain to apply as well.

Boolit Buddy

One Stick? I only use it for straight walled pistol rounds in carbide dies.

Imperial for everything else.
    Jim

I bought some of that and returned it after reading all the chemicals that were in it. Directions said not to get on your skin or breath fumes (kinda hard to avoid when reloading). I am sticking with the Lee lube (white wax based). It is about $4 isn and goes a long way, works when dry as well. I am just trying to limit the amount of chemicals I expose myself to.

Royal Case & Die Lube.
    Just tried it for the first time an hour ago. Purchased from MidSouth. Been years working through a spray bottle of Dillon case lube. It worked well also but this Royal seams slicker with reduced effort. No dents in 223's fired in a NATO chamber then FL sized in an RCBS X die. That sets the shoulder back about .010". No dented cases. I used it just like I have the Dillon. Dump cases in cardboard box. light spray then stir with hands to spread. Allow to fully dry off the alcohol.

Now for Duckey because he has a valid point on toxins. Ingredient label on Royal can.

Contains: Isopropyl Alcohol (67-63-0), Propane/Isobutane/N-Butane (68476-86-8), Proprietary Lubricants, Heptane (142-82-5). KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. www.sharpshootr.com made in U.S.A.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Bub
    For volume case prep there is nothing better I have tried. I use it only for pistol and .223.

Boolit Grand Master

I use mostly imperial Sizing die wax for rifle rounds and forming cases. I also have lanolin here for case lube and making black powder lubes. Most work if you follow directions and pay attention to what your doing. If not done as instructed very few work as well.

Hornady one shot has worked good as a case lube for me, but like most others who are serious about case lube, you cannot beat imperial sizing wax. One small can of imperial will last two or three times as long as your 5 cans of one shot. I guess its just a personal preference on which case lube you use.

HGS

Boolit Master
    The only two times I ever stuck a case in the die was .223 brass with Hornaday one shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunshot98 View Post
    I would like the opinion's about Hornady One Shot case lube.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I use Hornady One Shot case lube ( spray can ) for all pistol and .223 & .308 loading. For case prep (bulge busting, roll sizing, etc) I use the water based Hornady case lube in the pump bottle, just because its less expensive
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy
    I tried One shot twice about 6 month apart. Both times I ended uo with brass stuck in the sizing dies that needed to be pounded out. Do not use it - ever.
    The remainder of my canw as used on a squeaky chair spring. In my humble opinion it does not belong anywhere near a reloading bench!

Boolit Master

Hornady one shot, and I read the instructions, equalled my first stuck case. That's when I learned about putting the die and case in the freezer.

Boolit Master

In my experience e with 3006 and 243, if you let it dry per instructions, you can get stuck cases. Size them slightly wet, and it works OK. I started using a lanolin hand cream thinned with alcohol and the sizing effort is dramatically reduced.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

I like Lee case sizing lube ( it is a metal forming wax lube and water soluble ) for light duty sizing , Imperial Sizing Wax for rifle and heavier tasks. If cases still don't won't to go in and come out easily, I apply a thin film of STP Oil Treatment.....That always gets the job done, it's just greasy and needs to be removed from the cases.
    Anything with Lanolin will also work and is not as messy as STP, but I ran out of Bag Balm and haven't been back to the country feed and seed store to buy more. That stuff is great for your hands and as a case lube!
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

I have used it in the past and it worked. It gets a lot of bad press and reloaders either love it or hate it. I quit using it because I had a few cans that I bought on sale that lost their pressure. Now I use Imperial for neck sizing and Dillon spray for everything else.

Boolit Master
    I have used Hornady One Shot many times and sometimes still do - especially when I'm loading large quantities of .223s or other bottle necked brass. What I like about the One Shot is I can lube the inside of the case necks automatically when I spray. I stand up fifty or more cases in a low-sided cardboard box and spray from an angle that puts a portion of the lube inside the necks. I spray from four directions in order to hit all sides of the brass. It takes a pretty generous dollop of One Shot to prevent stuck cases.
    One Shot is only moderately effective as a lube and would not be my first choice for difficult sizing jobs. Either the lanolin based lubes or the Lee wax based lube work better and are more economical to use. The only advantage to One Shot is speed of application. If I'm sizing 500 cases I'll probably reach for the Hornady can.

Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    Most of the Hornady One Shot stories involve pulling the dinky rims off of 5.56 cases.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast