Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: epoxy pillar bedding a mauser commercial 98.

Boolit Master
    I cut my back pillars from a 1/4" steel brake line. Cut a fuzz long with tubing cutters and file to correct length. This length is determined with the action put together out of the stock.

I nearly always hold these in place with JB weld.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Yes, the recoil Lug in compressed against the Magazine Pillar.
    You have to set up the magazine to the action out of the stock and make sure the screws are tight against the front Pillar of the Magazine, and the Rear spacer is the right length so with both screws tight, there is the .030 gap between the magazine and receiver.
    Then the magazine is set either flush with the bottom of the stock, or to a depth where the receiver is sitting in at Half the diameter of the receiver.
    The Jig is made by Measurements, and you set the magazine with the jig resting on the top of the stock.
    The magazine is Bedded on the Tangs and around the front Pillar.
    When Cured, the bedding will not let the magazine go into the stock any deeper, but it is not Epoxied to the stock.
    Only Glass Bedded.
    For Pillar Bedded, you would relieve the stock around the receiver and barrel, so the receiver is only touching the Pillar and spacer with the screws tight.
    Now, you bed the recoil lug, and the rear tang, or if you want, the whole length of the receiver.
    Now, the action when tight, cant go any deeper, and the magazine cant go any deeper either.
    But to do a True Pillar Bedding on a Mauser 98 action, you have to cut the factory pillar Off the Magazine Box, and make a Pillar that will be Epoxied into the stock as well as a rear Spacer tube the correct length.
    Then the rifle is Pinching or applying pressure to the pillars top and bottom when the screws are tight.
    Pillars are nothing more than a reinforcement piece attached into the stock to limit Compression and movement of the action with the screws tight.
    Properly pillar bedded actions, can have all the stock material relieved so nothing is touching the bottom or sides of the receiver.

Boolit Master
    I don't have time to go into full detail tonight.
    But I will try to find the information that I used to teach someone else this method a few months back.
    The Mauser Action like others have said Has a Pillar of sorts.
    It is just not attached to the stock on the front one.
    You can utilize that factory pillar by setting the magazine and receiver properly in the stock, and bed them seperatly to utilize the Factory set up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12