MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: looking for load data for 357 using Clays

looking for load data for 357 using Clays

I want to load up some 357 magnum with 175 GN Keith style (cast lead) boolits. A buddy of mine came across some brass and the Keith boolits and wanted me to reload them for bear repellant for an upcoming trip to AK. I have Clays, Bullseys and an older (cardboard) container of Unique. I have looked on their web site for load data but they they either don't list the powder I have (like Clays on Hodgon's site) or the boolit weight. So therefore I am left asking any of you for safe load data. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Just a Thought, but I would ask him to supply me with a much slower burning powder than those on your list.

Everyone below is why I was recommending his purchasing a powder for you, or reinbursing you.

Slower powders for that boolit weight and max velocities and that is what I would want IF I were depending on a pistola in bear country.

Might be easier for him to find a fat slower moving friend to go along on the trip.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-23-2015 at 08:28 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Well he doesn't reload and these are the powders I have on hand. What would you recommend for a powder for this combo?

Blue dot, hs6, 4227 or any others in that burn rate would be fine. I've used red dot in 357. It works but you can't get maximum velocity with it. I have not used clays in 357. It would work fine I'm sure, however top loads might still reduce your velocity. That's not something you want if your making bear protection loads.

I'd tell him to buy some good factory stuff for bears since he don't reload, then make him some plinking loads. My.02
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

Unique would be the fastest powder I'd use for that, most likely I'd go with 4227, 2400 or most likely 110/296. The slower powders will give you higher velocity within the pressure limits.

Banned

Unique will work, your clays load will be super low like in the 2.5 gr or less area I think my load for the 358477 was 3.3 grs and was close to or was max.
    I doubt a 700 fps 357 load is gonna impress too many bears in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Unique will work, your clays load will be super low like in the 2.5 gr or less area I think my load for the 358477 was 3.3 grs and was close to or was max.
    I doubt a 700 fps 357 load is gonna impress too many bears in Alaska.
    High velocity hard cast in the area of 158 grn will do great. With a bear you want penetration not expansion. and you can load 158's with those powders.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Banned

You do need penetration but you gotta have some velocity to make that happen.
    1500 fps ain't necessary but you for sure want more than a high pressure low velocity load.

I see bears on a pretty frequent basis, the 357 is not my choice but it's what some guy's have or want to carry.
    All of my live animal testing shows me the light boolit weight limits the 357's peneteration to about 15" in animals like cows and pigs.
    This is with boolit weights in the 150 to 180gr range.
    the 180 truncated cone boolit I have does a bit better than the others in the 11-1200 fps window.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 02-23-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Boolit Bub
    IMHO, he would be much better off buying a box of new FMJ or cast .357mag rounds for the trip then to use Clays, Bullseye, or Unique in .357 with a heavy bullet. All three of those work good for light recoil, low to mid velocity target loads; but they work very poorly to bring out the best of a .357mag.

Here is my opinion on your powders in .357mag 175gr loads:
    Clays: Extremely too fast burning and too pressure spikey.
    Bullseye: Way too fast.
    Unique: Getting better but still on the fast side. It would be useable to make mid-power loads but I wouldn't use it for bear loads.

In the past, I've made a small batch of .357mag 158gr target loads using Clays. Clays in .357 is like trying to simmer a thimble full of water over a gas range. It goes from being cold to boiling over way too fast. Even when you figure things out, the round leaves you feeling disappointed. Going to a 175gr bullet would be even worse, which is probably why there isn't published data for it.