RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: PC after loading

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

PC after loading

How many have pulled down any of the rounds to see if the PC was damaged while loaded?
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Mold
    I pulled a couple of .357s no damage at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why would you expect damage??????????????

As long as you bell the mouth just enough to get the PC'd boolit to gently slide in place, NOT....NOT use any lube at all!!!!!!!, and not crimp the carp out of the case, the PC will easily survive in the case.

I have never seen any damage to PC, even going against the "wise olde sages" on here complaining about the Lee Factory Crimp die swaging the lead down. Never, ever. PC is uber-tough, and if cured properly, will be kind tuff to scrape off simply loading it.

The jury is still out on long-term exposure to hydrocarbon-based lubes down in the brass with PC. Best case is just do NOT use any lube when sizing PC. You don't really need it.

Been doing this for.....well.....since we started this whole madness a year or so ago and I have coated many thousands of cals, shapes, and sizes of little lead pills. Never had any damage when taking some "mistakes" apart and testing to just see what was going on down in there.

Coat away!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Can't help there. 'Never pulled down any round, ever. (yet)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I only let the gun "pull the round down".

Boolit Master

The bullets I recovered from firing into dirt, water, and sand still had most if not all of the PC on the shank of the bullet.

Don't figure it rubbed off and jumped back on during the loading/firing process, so, no, I've never pulled a bullet just to check.

Boolit Buddy

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    How many have pulled down any of the rounds to see if the PC was damaged while loaded?
    Well I am not as lucky as others . I have had to pull a few dozen 300 blk down when I started casting for this round. Now granted these were all dummies to help me get everything set up with the die and get the round chambering correctly . I use the 155 gr lee bullet. As long as I do my part and bell the mouth of the case ( I use an M die ) then no I did not see any powder coating removed, and I reloaded / pulled down the same bullet and brass several times. On a few occasions I did not have enough bell and it left scrape marks/ scuffs on the bullet, but there was no exposed lead.

Why would I expect damage well I am not the guy with the best of luck. So I was asking if anyone has pulled any bullets to see what effect loading may or may not happened. Its rather a simple ? that I have not see asked. What I find taking mine apart and what others may have found is information to add to the over all pool of info. I for one would like to know as much about what I am doing to avoid any problems. If someone is not having any issues the next guy may be. Different kind of bullets and calibers have their own demons. So asking a group that are loading calibers that your not may shine light on a subject. Some are fine with going with that's how you do it and its fine and go one happy go lucky I for one do not follow blindly. One reason I will not be one of the guys drinking the koolaid.
    Last edited by RP; 02-23-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I can load a few dummies and pull em back down, just to see how it handles it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I have and as long as I go light on the crimp, have never had a problem. Even with problems, i.e. some of the powdercoat scraping off, it's not really a 'problem'. I've PC'd boolits using the TES method (in the Piglet method thread) coating them so thin you can see the lead boolit plain as day, and no leading...You can get away with a VERY thin coat, or a partially abraded one. Even if a little of the coating abraded through to bare metal, and if you got some leading as a result, the next round or three would likely clean the barrel back up.

Boolit Buddy
    I have on .357, .44 and .45 auto. coating all still intact. the ones I dig out of the berm that are flat as a pancake still have the coating on them. if it comes off your not cured enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the above comment!

My hammer test now it to take a PC'd slug, sit it base down on a 4" diameter 2.5" thick piece of steel bar stock, pound it until is it about 1/4 to 3/8 " thick. Then lay it on the side and pound until it is the same thickness. Then do the other side. I end up with CUBE of lead with PC still intact on all sides with BBDT, bare bottom with ESPC.

If a boolit can survive that severe test with no cracking or destruction, it sure can survive PROPER loading (as outlined above) into a brass case!

As said above several times, if you ARE seeing damage - you are either not loading properly or baking right. I see no damage at all, even on recovered slugs!

Go ahead and guzzle THIS kool-aid! Definitely works for me and thousands of others on here.

bangerjim

If I understand you bangerjim you have pulled down some bullets have not found any damage. It has been noted you are on board 100% with PC and promote it strongly.
    jakec you have not pulled any but bullets you found in the berm look good Noted
    coffeeguy you have notice some issues with crimp but over all your happy Noted
    beagle333 you are willing to load some dummies and pull them for a test Thanks for the testing offer.
    cstrickland I see you have pulled down several of the same cal and found some light marks on the PC Noted
    c latch by your comment I take it your happy also but the PC coming off then back on the bullets opens up a entirely new thread I think that unlikely but if its a concern I would start a tread with your thoughts on what may be happening.
    vhoward looks to just load and shoot no real data to add there.
    slenk has pulled a couple and found no damage at all so I say he is happy.

So with the input of those that have posted survey says so far there is not a problem with any of the PC getting damaged or sticking to the case after loading but be careful not to over crimp the bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    You got it.

1. bake correctly
    2. bell slightly
    3. do not over-crimp

But prove it to yourself. Easy to do! It sure does not take much $$ investment to do BBDT. Coat up a batch, stuff a few in some cases, take them apart, shoot the rest, have fun!

If thousands of us are doing it with excellent results, you should not be afraid of it at all. Just use common sense on crimping.

banger

I have been PC with the gun for awhile now done several hundreds of bullets of different types for my 9mm 38 357 44 45 454 45/70 300 BO 30/30 223 and a few others. This is not new to me but it is still a new way of doing it for I guess thousands of us. I was just looking at the group of guys doing it here. As far as crimping you have the taper crimp factory crimp and roll crimp I have been avoiding the roll crimp since I feel that it cuts into the bullet more. But that is just my own thinking have not done any testing to see. Thanks for your positive out look on how much you like PC and I have pulled some bullets to see. I was interested in what others may have found or not found.

Boolit Buddy
    seems like more people are getting on board every day. I know guys I shoot with that were making fun of me for painting my boolets now theyre doing it too. I cant find any downsides to it.

Ive torn a few of my Boolits down.

The PC survived it all.

I'm not seeing a down side to this madness

I'm as sold on PC as Banger J, that said I have pulled down a few that I noticed a little PC scraping at the top of the neck after seating. I now flare the necks about .008 to .010 and on some rifle rounds just kiss the neck with the Lee universal neck expander after using the Lyman M-Die, no more problems. Scraping seems to be the only way for me to monkey up PC, I've had great results. GP