MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who knows about septic systems?

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar

Who knows about septic systems?

So I am a relatively new homeowner and I don't know a lot about septic systems - here is a short description of the issue I may or may not be having.

When I bought the house last June I had the tank pumped out just to be safe - the house hadn't been lived in for almost a year. All through the summer and fall I didn't notice anything to make me think there was a problem.

A few weeks ago the shower started to drain really slowly and running a snake into the line didn't help so I called a plumber. The plumber shows up, walks over to my septic riser and tells me my septic tank is full, which it was, there was septic waste in the riser. He tells me the shower is slow because of the septic - mind you, NO OTHER DRAIN IN THE HOUSE WAS SLOW.

So I had the tank totally pumped out again, and the guy said it was indeed to full but only with water and that there wasn't too much solid material and that I should keep an eye on it and that the waste shouldn't get higher than 6 to 8 inches from the bottom of the riser.

Long story short - the pump out didn't help the slow drain, I did have a sever clog in the 45 that connected that drain to the main line out to the tank. I fixed that, everything is great as far as plumbing, but today I checked the septic tank to be safe and the fluid is up to a few inches from the riser again.

We only have one bathroom, kitchen sink, dishwasher, and washing machine.

So what is going on? Is it draining slow because the ground is frozen?

Sound like you COULD have a couple of things going on. A septic tank is supposed to drain the liquid into a drain field or a sand mound - which ever you have. You don't mention a sewage pump, so I'm not sure. If you have a traditional drain field, and the weather in Indiana is as cold as PA has been, my guess is that the ground is frozen too solid to allow the liquid to filter off into the dirt. In that case, see what happens three months from now. As for the shower alone draining slow, where is it located? does the shower drain connect to a main drain line inside the house? Is there a p-trap or s-trap under the shower? Shower drains and shower drain lines are notorious for filling with hair and soap gunk. Did the plumber run a snake all the way to the main line? (If not, don't call that one again). If the shower is on a seperate line and/or doesn't have proper slope, it could freeze where it goes through the wall, but my money is on a clog somwhere in the line, especially if nothing else is slow. Try a drain opener called "Liquid Fire" if its available in your area. BE CAREFUL!!!! GLOVES AND GOGGLES,PLEASE! This stuff is nasty, but it works. Main ingredient is HCl and it will eat anything organic. Follow the directions on the bottle religiously! Let me know how you make out.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    When I see a tank fill that fast after being pumped it's either because there's too much going in or not enough going out. From the size of your house I would look for something running like a faucet or the toilet. With the freeze on, do you leave something dripping or running to prevent freezing water lines? I suspect with your winters, ya'll are prepared for that weather. When it ain't going out it's because the ground is saturated, or perk lines are clogged or the distribution box is clogged or is collapsed. I've seen roots collapse ABS pipe. Just replaced a perk line with an infiltrator system to get around the roots near a natural area. I haven't had any experience with septic systems where the ground freezes. Good Luck.

I have a drain field, no sewage pump, and we have had several nights below 0.

As to the shower, it connects to a main line in the house. When the plumber refused to touch it and the pump out didn't fix it, I took the line apart (old black pipe) found a horrible clog in the coupling that connected the drain into the main line, then replaced most of the line with PVC so it will be easier to snake in the future.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    There are many things that can cause slow drainage from your tank. Roots in the field lines, crushed lines from concrete or delivery trucks running over then when building or remodeling/repairing, sediment in the lines if you have very fine soils and not enough gravel in the ditch with the line, frozen ground, high water table (you can't push water out into standing water very well), not enough field line installed when it was built.... many things.

As to keeping a tank from filling up fast again, never put Charmin in one. Try to avoid similar toilet paper that advertises as being the "strongest".... they won't tumble apart as they travel down the lines to the tank and it takes them longer to decompose in the tank than you have time to wait.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    When I see a tank fill that fast after being pumped it's either because there's too much going in or not enough going out. From the size of your house I would look for something running like a faucet or the toilet. With the freeze on, do you leave something dripping or running to prevent freezing water lines? I suspect with your winters, ya'll are prepared for that weather. When it ain't going out it's because the ground is saturated, or perk lines are clogged or the distribution box is clogged or is collapsed. I've seen roots collapse ABS pipe. Just replaced a perk line with an infiltrator system to get around the roots near a natural area. I haven't had any experience with septic systems where the ground freezes. Good Luck.
    No roots nearby, all open grass. No drips or fixtures running. I've also never had a soggy yard in the warmer weather.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If it is only one thing (such as the shower) that is slow. You can disconnect the line from the tank and then see how the shower runs. I know it's a pain to test, but it beats snaking all of the lines in the house looking for it if the problem is really in the drainage field. It also beats digging up the drainage field looking for a hairball that was in the gooseneck under your shower the whole time.

Good luck!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

The shower runs great now that I took it apart and snaked it, now I'm just concerned about my tank not draining off the water.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone, keep it coming.

Boolit Master

do you have just a septic tank, or a tank and a drain field? also is the shower the closest drain to the septic sytem?

Vendor Sponsor

As said before the ground is frozen wait till you have at least 5 days of above freezing weather
    Bet you it will go away
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    As said before the ground is frozen wait till you have at least 5 days of above freezing weather
    Bet you it will go away
    So what do I do until the ground thaws? Just be careful about my daily water use?

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    do you have just a septic tank, or a tank and a drain field? also is the shower the closest drain to the septic sytem?
    1000 gallon tank with a filed of four 60 ft fingers, and all the drains connect together at the same point, the kitchen bathroom and laundry room are all adjacent.

Also, I'm no longer having problems with the shower as I was able to fix it, so that seems unrelated.

Boolit Master

It was stated above, but worth mentioning again... Don't use that plumber for anything again.

Boolit Man
    How old is the septic system? They don't last forever. The lines coming out of the tank freeze and get clogged. How much snow cover do you have. That affects how deep the frost line gets. If its a case that your drain lines are frozen, then you pump weekly til the ground thaws. The water drains off the top of the tank so maybe it had a normal amount of water. Your tank is always full of water unless you just pumped it. If everything is draining normally and your toilets are flushing then everything is working fine. Forget about it.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question but when our house was built about 30 years ago the installer had some advice. He said you didn't hear this from me but if at all possible don't connect your clothes washer to your septic system. And if you put in a dishwasher same thing. The bleach that gets your clothes and dishes clean is bad for your septic and keeping the soap out doesn't hurt either.

The system is 21 years old

Outlet of the tank is plugged or higher than the tank. IF the tank is not backing up into the house or crawl space it is not totally plugged. Do some research on how a septic system works, can do a google search.
    http://www.epa.gov/owm/septic/pubs/h...guide_long.pdf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_...ntial_problems
    http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/ww/septic/pl_fall04.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by KAF View Post
    Outlet of the tank is plugged or higher than the tank. IF the tank is not backing up into the house or crawl space it is not totally plugged. Do some research on how a septic system works, can do a google search.
    http://www.epa.gov/owm/septic/pubs/h...guide_long.pdf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_...ntial_problems
    http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/ww/septic/pl_fall04.pdf
    interesting. It hasn't ever backed up so this sounds right. I've googled the situation several different ways and haven't gotten those results.

thanks!

I moved in to the rural area in NW OH 20 some years ago, had to learn how a septic system works and also a well. We have a sanitary sewer system now, much nicer.........

MAYBE the local county health dept or county engineers office has drawings of where your outlet runs, worth a check.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast