WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Percussion cap forming tool

Moderator Emeritus

Percussion cap forming tool

A little known secret here, that this "embarrassed" Moderator just recently found out about.

Vendor Sponsor MannyCA makes a tool similar to a gas check maker, which is designed to form percussion caps from Aluminum beverage cans.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ready-for-sale

I ordered one a while back, and it arrived yesterday. It is nicely machined and threaded to fit on top of a reloading press (for stability) and also came with a threaded base, so I could use this at the range as well. Within 5 minutes of opening the package and cleaning up and cutting a aluminum can...I had several caps easily made. The crimp/crease forming of the sides, makes for a fairly thick sided and sturdy cap. It fit nice and snug on my Ruger Old army, with the original nipples. Not much else to say about it...til I get some capgun caps and try these out...mostly I am wondering if the cap stays on the revolver's nipples throughout firing all the chambers.

and now for pictures...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

With my version of a capmaker I've had best success by using a double layer of aluminum. The single layer caps tended to tear and come loose upon firing but two layers held together. I use about 1/4 grain of blackpowder and a single rollcap for best results.

In Remembrance

If you have a lathe you can make your own. The plans are on the "net". I posted one that I made and he pm'ed me for the link.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Mold
    Forster products in Lanark Il used to make a tapa cap #11 cap maker. Using your hand or a press. You used to use red cap gun caps cut with paper punch inserted in them to make them go bang. The quality of the capgun caps went way down and they stopped producing the it. They would start making it again if enough people where interested.

Boolit Mold
    This is my first post , got here via a link to the plans for a gas check maker . Check this stuff out , the vendor is also selling a kit to reprime .22rimfire and reload using cast bullets .
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...iming-compound

FWIW one of my next projects is the cap maker referenced a couple of posts above . Oh , and has anyone tried using .010" aluminum flashing for caps ?

Snag
    Last edited by snag; 08-28-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: additional info

I heard Manny is no longer making these. Does someone else, or is there somewhere that I can find plans to give to a machinist?
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Mold
    Here ya go .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cylinder 4 tapacap.gif 
Views:	547 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	147950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston 4 tapacap.gif 
Views:	556 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	147951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teeth 4 tapacap.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	147952

Boolit Master
    I use one of MannyCA's capmakers tomake double caps. They seem to stay on the niple better than most commercial caps. I am very pleased with it.

Thanks snag. I assume the measurements are for #11 caps?
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    Thanks snag. I assume the measurements are for #11 caps?
    Yup , for #11 caps . This is one of my next shop projects , as soon as I get the tractor back together . My little JD tossed a rod through the side of the crankcase .

Boolit Mold
    Well , my first attempt at making the cap forming tool came out wrong ... I bored the cylinder about .006" too large . Oh well , that piece of steel just became a candidate for a sizing die for .452 cast slugs for my 45 ACP . The Colt's Patent mold throws a .458 slug , definitely needs sizing (balls are OS too) . On a brighter note , here's a link I found that includes suggestions for priming compounds :
    http://www.aardvarkreloading.com/res...imercourse.pdf

Also has details to "reload" used Boxer and Berdan primers . CAUTION !! If you use the information on this website , you will be making what is known as a "primary explosive" . All liability is incurred by the user . There is a possibility you will put your eye out - or worse . THIS STUFF IS DANGEROUS !

Seriously , please be careful if you make these compounds . It's not mentioned , but using a ground strap (conductive bracelet with a wire going to ground) is a good idea . It's not mentioned but I'd bet the H-48 compound is sensitive to electrostatic discharge . If it sounds like I've had experience with this stuff , it's because I have - and I still have all my fingers and both eyes because I followed the safety rules . Coming soon , a ball mill for BP . I'm lucky , my wife indulges my toolwhoredom ... which has resulted in a pretty well equipped machine shop as my "man cave" .

Boolit Buddy
    Struck some chords in the failing memory-I remember reading about a similar device in a write up Either by Dean Grennell or Bob Zwirz in the '80's
    Good to know its still happening...
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

IDZ posted some nice plans here -

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ercussion-caps
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    I heard Manny is no longer making these. Does someone else, or is there somewhere that I can find plans to give to a machinist?
    Manny does indeed still make these. I bought one from him recently and it works great!