Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Cast Boolit Load For MAS 49/56?

Boolit Master

Cast Boolit Load For MAS 49/56?

Has anyone found a cast boolit load that will cycle the MAS 49/56?

The rifle is a 7.5x54 Mas. It has an adjustable gas valve installed.

Thanks,

Motor

Boolit Master
    BTT, Anyone.

Boolit Buddy
    i will be happy to have this riffle

ANDRE

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't loaded for that rifle but have loaded for other semi-autos. You will want to use the slower powders versus the fast pistol powders.
    My SKS will cycle with 2400 and slower powders. The Garand is best with powders like H4895 or slower. I would start loading for this with boolits around 18 bhn with starting loads for jacketed.
    Hopefully someone who actually shoots one of these will post to help you out.

Banned
    Haven't loaded cast in mine, but with jacketed, any 7.62x51 start load is a good beginning. Similar capacity and pressure levels.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I may have to try that. I've been loading for this rifle since I got it a few years ago. It has its little quirks but actually shoots pretty good. I'm just trying to find a less expensive way to shoot it. I've got too many .30 cals. to feed and I think this one would be fun to shoot with cast.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been trying for a while to do the same.
    Haven't really found anything the worked and was accurate enough for me.
    Got tired and just put it aside for the time being.
    What have you tried so far?????

Boolit Master
    This was a pre-test inquiring. I've been shooting j-word bullets. I already have a good 30 caliber boolit that I use for 30-30 through 7.62x54R just sized to fit the different bores.

I'm hoping the "starmetal" adjustable gas valve will help.

Motor

Boolit Master
    I use 32-35 grains h4895 with cast bullets in the 170gr range, sized .309. They function and shoot well, but I've gotten a tad of lead in the gas valve switch. Nothing major, and nothing in the gas tube or action.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dschuttig View Post
    I use 32-35 grains h4895 with cast bullets in the 170gr range, sized .309. They function and shoot well, but I've gotten a tad of lead in the gas valve switch. Nothing major, and nothing in the gas tube or action.
    The smallest size die I currently have is a .311" It works very well with my 30-30 loads, this is a TL design boolit so the driving bands are not very solid. But I also know the MAS typically has a .307" GD.

Do you think sized to .311" will be "ok" or should I concider getting a .309" die? I may have to get a .308" size die for a different project soon. Do you think .308s would be "ok" in the MAS?

Motor

Boolit Master
    Motor,
    My 49/56 comes in just under .308, it's in like new "refurb" condition, I suspect the bore is new, replaced at refurb. I size mine .309, not sure if .311 would be to big, as i've never tried it. Also, not sure if the tumble lube design would provide enough lubrication given the barrel length and the fact that you have to push it hard enough to cycle the action?
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Buddy
    Probably already - but read BruceB's sticky thread on the 308/7.62 M-1A. Cast boolit range - not much different (powder amount, yes)
    I am shooting 311299 in my semi-auto 308's...

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dschuttig View Post
    Motor,
    My 49/56 comes in just under .308, it's in like new "refurb" condition, I suspect the bore is new, replaced at refurb. I size mine .309, not sure if .311 would be to big, as i've never tried it. Also, not sure if the tumble lube design would provide enough lubrication given the barrel length and the fact that you have to push it hard enough to cycle the action?
    Thanks for the advice. Tumble lube is working very well in my Mosin Nagants which have much longer barrels than the 49-56 but the extra pressure could be a problem.

I think I will try .311" with gas check. Maybe the extra diameter will help with the extra pressure. I'm not sure when I'll get around to this but after I do I'll post results.

Motor