Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Man of Steel (cast bullets and Alliant Steel)

Question Man of Steel (cast bullets and Alliant Steel)

OK, now I have a reason to reload with Steel. Anyone with 7-30 or 6.8SPC Steel loads?
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Alliant Steel a scosh slower than Unique?

Rummaging through "alliant steel" site:castboolits.gunloads.com and the general gist was Steel is close to Unique. Saw it used in 222, 22/250, 8x57, 30-30, 358 Win and others.

Yes, it doesn't meter well, so I will dust off the Large drum Uniflow and check on some 7-30 loads. 8 grains seems sensible under a 129 grain bullet...
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Maybe it is like Unique in the Rifle loading world.. but we've had discussions about Alliant Steel and it's a bit slower than Blue Dot, more temperature stable, fluffier (doesn't like to volume meter too well) and faster than the true magnum handgun powders like H110, 2400, and the like.. There is a whole big thread about it.. Though if it works for you, cool

Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    There is a whole big thread about it..
    I'll see you and raise you. Where?
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Buddy
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Alliant-Steel bought some when powder was really scarce found some unique and never messed with it but read this thread a couple times

Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    Maybe it is like Unique in the Rifle loading world..
    Marlinjunky-
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2690630

"Well... look at it this way... it's about 3-4% slower than Unique and perhaps 7625, (I haven't tried the latter with RCBS 35-200 yet) seems to be more available than the former and less money than the "deprecated" latter. I thought I was buying a fluffy form of 2400 so I feel really betrayed; nevertheless, I'll recover. "
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

30-30 class load

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2872313

fecmech-
    "Shot 10.2 Steel@ 100 yds yesterday out of my Savage 340 30-30 with peep sight. I was using Lyman 311466 (155gr) and the 10 shot group was right at 3". Did not have the chrono with me but based on the 9.3 gr load guessing mid to high 1400 fps range. Just thought I'd update."
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Odd, most equate 7625 with Green Dot, which is faster on the Alliant burn rate chart...

As I see it on Alliant it goes something like...

Bullseye, E3, Red Dot, Promo, Clay Dot, Select, Green Dot, 20/28, Unique, Power Pistol, Herco, Blue Dot, Pro Reach, Steel, 410, 2400, Power Pro 300 MP and then it goes on up to the rifle powders..

This burn rate chart comes from the the 5.0 edition of the Western Powders Reloading and load data guide.. I don't know where you get that Steel is only 3-4% difference.. seeing as there's really no way to rate it.. Are you saying that for the same weight of powder you are getting XXXX velocity one to the other? All I know is that in loading Shotshells.. (not metallic) if I tried to load Alliant Steel at the same weight as Unique, I would likely get underpressure loads that would go poof.. and if I tried to load Unique to the same weight as Alliant Steel, I would be very sure to be WAY overpressure.. my $.035