RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Consistency applied.

Boolit Grand Master

Consistency applied.

Hello, my name is Tim Malcolm. I am a custom gunsmith servicing the members of this board and the United States as a whole.
    I was taught to cast by my father who was/is a bonafide rocket scientist, an avid boolit caster, and a very proficient marksman (although he is unable to do so now and lives vicariously through me.)
    The first cast bullets I ever shot were H&G #34 230gr RN 45 caliber. I would whack them with a stick to knock over my GI Joes.
    The first firearm I cast for was a Pedersoli Confederate Navy 44 caliber BP revolver. I mowed lawns and scraped together the money to buy it from Cabellas for $79.95 and it came with a kit. I was 14 years old at the time. I convinced my mother to drive me to the local Kings outdoor supply where I bought a Lee round ball mold. I found out real fast that COWW or COWW/Linotype (dad had plenty) were way too hard to load in my pistol, so I got some soft lead from somewhere and started casting. Little did I know that this would be the beginning of a lifetime pursuit of the silver stream. All my bullets were cast over a Coleman stove with an RCBS ladle (which I still have and use).
    I ended up acquiring many different firearms over the subsequent years several of which I made myself, and casting for all of them.
    I wasn’t born with a ladle in my hand, but I came pretty close.
    By far, shooting cast bullets accurately in rifles has been the consistent theme of my life. It’s what I think about waking up, going to sleep, and it’s what I make a portion of my living doing. The accurate bullet is a very enticing corrot that some men will follow from the desert to the high mountains, and I’m here to tell you that I have snow in my collar, and sand in my shoes!
    Those are my credentials, and who I am.

I would like to tell you how I cast excellent bullets, if you will lend an ear for a moment.
    A good bullet begins with a good alloy, and an excellent bullet begins with an excellent alloy. I consider a good alloy to be small batches of COWW, or range scrap. I consider an excellent alloy to be something that you can reproduce indefinitely with a high degree of accuracy (mix of the metals) , which lends itself to consistent casting of bullets. In order to have an excellent alloy, you must have a mix that compliments itself well, and casts beautifully. Alloys that do this are Lyman#2 (90/5/5 by percent), Linotype(84/12/4 by percent), or COWW + 2.3% tin(95.6/2.2/2.2 by percent). These alloys are predictable and forgiving, which is why they are so poplar, and have been since the dawn of boolitry.
    Once you have an excellent alloy, you must have an excellent mold. Excelent molds are what we do here at cast boolits. We have access to the most superb bullet molds in history, and I dare say the people of this forum are making sure to take advantage of it. (how do you know you’re a cast booliteer? When you’ll give up cigarettes so you can afford to buy custom molds every month instead! LOL!)
    There are many excellent molds available today, but in my opinion, there are none who rival NOE and Accurate molds. There is simply nothing better that has ever been made in history (not even Hensley and Gibbs).
    After acquiring an excellent mold and an excellent alloy, you might sit down, plug in your pot and start casting and not be very pleased with the results. You see wrinkled bullets, frosty bullets, dented bullets, and bullets with pockets in them etc etc etc.
    You bought all the right tools, and the right material but you got lousy consistency.
    You would like to improve on that because not only did your bullets look terrible, they shot about as pretty as they look.

The first thing to do is to take a broad stroke and change a few basic things that will put you in a good place to get started casting well. All of these things are written about at the bottom of the page in the LASC link. But just to give you the high points as I see them, here is a list of basic things you can do to get started down the straight and narrow IMHO:
    1. Use a thermometer. Heat your alloy to a spot roughly 100 degrees hotter than melt temperature (that place where the lead first turns liquid and holds temperature for a while as it makes the transition).

2. Use a hotplate to warm your mold.

3. When you get ready to fill the mold, prime the spout of your pot (if using a bottom pour pot)

4. When you pour, notice where you hit the sprue hole. Some molds like the alloy to be shot straight into the hole, and some like the stream to clip the edge of the hole. Whichever you choose, try to do it the same way each time.

5. When the first cavity is filled, pile up a puddle on top of it about the size of a quarter, stop the pour, move to the next cavity and repeat.

6. Start counting “one onethousand, two onethousand” etc as soon as you shut off the stream on your last cavity filled, and watch the lead puddles on top of the mold. At a certain point, you will see them freeze over. That event needs to happen 3-4 seconds after you stopped pouring. if your sprue took more than 5 seconds to freeze, you need to slow down. If your sprue took less than 3 seconds to freeze, you need to speed up.

7. After you open the mold, look at the bullets. If they are shiny, you need to go faster. You want a nice grey appearance with sharp lines and maybe just the faintest bit of the vent lines showing as tiny dots on the sides of the bullets.

8. Use a soft faced object to open the sprue plate the very instant it freezes. You do not need to whack the snot out of it!!!! All that is required is a few sharp taps. This creates a very flat base, and does not stress your mold. My father told me to use a piece of oak dowel with a 4” piece of garden hose pushed over the business end of it. I use a small rubber hammer.

9. When you go to open the mold, do not just wrench it open. Hold it shut tight, and give the hinge bolt on the handles a good sharp rap with a rubber hammer. Be careful to hold the mold shut tight when you do this to avoid damage. Now start tapping the hinge bolt lightly as you open the mold. If any bullets stick, give the hinge bolt another good sharp rap with the rubber hammer but this time with the mold wide open so the blocks cannot clash together and cause damage (seriously, if you've never tried a rubber hammer, you don’t know what your missing. It has a kind of “jiggle” to its strike that coaxes bullets from their beds very convincingly).

10. After the bullets drop, and before you fill the mold again, there is a certain amount of time you must wait to keep your mold from getting too hot. You have to keep it consistent. Some mold/alloy combinations need 3 seconds, some need 15. It’s up to you to figure out which.

So there are the basics of how to cast good bullets. That’s a lot of info and is about like trying to ride a bike while playing the violin till you do it a few thousand times, but what if you've got that all down pat, and you’re still not happy with the results?
    Allow me to show you a method that I developed with help from sgt.mike, by which you can refine the above information to an exact process.
    I use bell curves to teach me where I need work, and when I make a change, to show me whether or not it was a positive change, and it works exceedingly well for this purpose.
    What’s a bell curve you might ask? It’s simply a way to use your digital scale to plot your proficiency, and literally plot it with the bullets you cast.
    Here is an example:
    (Can't attach any more photos. See the bottom of the post.)
    This is done by simply lining up all the bullets of a certain weight in a row, in .1gr increments. It’s easy to do and teaches you faster than anything else I have ever tried. I wish I had thought of this years ago, because I wasted a lot of time not getting instant feedback from my pot. As they say, I was “close but no cigar”. It turns out that almost any defect in size, shape, mass, or diameter of your bullet can be sensed by our ultra-precision digital scales. Feel free to test this. Take a bullet and put it on your scale. Tare the scale to the bullet. Now file just a little bit off the nose and see how much it takes to make your scale read -.1gr. Like I said, it really doesn’t take much.
    The only thing the scale can’t detect is the appearance of your bullets. Everything else has an effect on the weight. That’s why I pay attention to bullet weight first and foremost, after learning how to cast a good looking bullet with no wrinkles, sharp bands, flat bases, clean noses, good manners, and winning personalities. Applied to an entire batch of bullets, and in turn, several batches of bullets from the same mold and alloy in comparison with each other, the scale is able to tell you how consistent you are on a very basic level. The scale doesn’t care what the defect is, it will see it. It may miss a bullet because that bullet is so jacked up that it has contradictory flaws that fool the scale, but the chances of that bullet previously making it out of the mold unnoticed by you for any defect of appearance,( and also being the only one in the whole batch) is almost impossible. Observing proper casting technique as taught on this forum takes care of 98% of the inconsistencies you have in your process just by observing and following a process that applies to all molds equally. But, this process is specific to each mold you have and while some of your technique will apply to different molds equally, you can be sure that each mold will have a personality of its own, and this technique will dial you into it very quickly.
    The way you use bell curves to teach you is to use them to dial in each of the steps listed above that have an effect on bullet mass or physical fitness. (don’t worry, you’ll be taking the good ones and shooting them as you go along. This is a long term project that will take many casting sessions to perfect.)
    What you do is use your normal method to cast 100 bullets (I personally find this to be a minimum for any sort of a telling bell curve) and line them up based on bullet weight with each row representing .1gr increment of your proficiency.
    Do not cull any bullets as you do this. This is the time for truth and brutal honesty, not looking good on paper. It’s not a measure of you it’s a measure of your technique.
    Once you have all your bullets lined up, take a picture of the result, or use a pencil to outline the shape of the bullets on the paper and record what your spread was.
    At this point, you may look at the brutal honesty of the bell curve before you, and postulate an opinion about why it’s bigger than you thought it would be (and I can almost guarantee it’s not going to be as perfect as your thought). You say “oh well, that was because I waited too long between fills. It’s just not my best run is all.”
    Go back to your pot and cast another 100 bullets having corrected what you thought was wrong. Plot them again and see if you were right. (Remember: Brutal honesty. No matter how badly you want to scrape the corners off the base of the Christmas tree, you must not, or you are only fooling yourself. Those defects are trying to tell you something!)
    After you have tried what you said, and it really didn’t make the change you thought it would, you’re going to get frustrated. May I suggest you try going right down the list above and choose to explore each variable? It’s time consuming, but I found it to be very fun, and each bell curve teaches you things, and there will be many “light bulb moments”.
    Lets just walk through the casting principles I listed above and I’ll show you how to measure a few of them. There is a lot to learn and it’s the coolest thing in the world to find things you thought were your problem were not, and other things you thought didn't matter actually do!
    1.Alloy temperature. Change your pot temperature 25 degrees at a time and plot bell curves. Keep the best one.
    2.Prime the spout of the pot. If you don’t, I would challenge you to do so and observe the change in your spreads. I went as far as to witness each cavity of my mold and separate the good bullets (+- .2 grains) by cavity they dropped from. Turns out, cavities 1 and 2 were always lighter than cavities 3 and four because cooler alloy is thicker than hot alloy, and that was how much lead it took to stop the nozzle from changing the alloy temperature. Once I started priming the spout for a whole second, the variation between cavities disappeared.
    3.Stream location in the sprue hole. This is cool. If you do not take care to hit the sprue hole consistently, then do so, and see the difference. If you throw the lead straight down the hole, then do it every time, or clip the edge of the hole a certain amount, and do it every time. Plot a curve, try something else, and plot again. You’ll be surprised such a little thing makes such a difference in your brutally honest bell curve.
    4.Puddle size. Try different size puddles and observe the difference.
    5.Puddle freeze time. This is a big one that will show a difference. Try running hot enough for a 3 second freeze, and try running hot enough for a 5 second freeze, and observe the result in the bell curve.
    6.Dwell time. After dumping the bullets, we wait a certain amount of time. But it’s just a wild flying guess how much based on what happens several steps later. I suspect that most of the time, we end up running just a little proud or a little shy of where the mold wants with that alloy at that temperature. We go back in just a little too soon, and see the puddle takes longer to freeze, so we wait a little bit longer than usual on the flip side, and hope it works etc etc etc. Well, the bell curve sees that variance when you plot. The fact that you were not dwelling the correct amount of time means that you’re always going to be chasing rainbows unless you test what the correct dwell time is and stick to it like glue. If you fill too soon, then dump the batch and quit doing that!

This is very simple, use bell curve comparison to dial in your process to perfection. This is just like going to the eye doctor and he has you compare prescriptions with his expensive machine. He doesn't choose your prescription you do. He depends on your brutally honest comparison of “better or worse” to quickly find your prescription out of about 1000 options. Because each test gets you better and better, the final result represents the limit of what the available technology can give you. That’s exactly what I’m proposing here. Each mold has a “prescription” that will make it focus your effort better and you just need to run a few tests to determine what it is.
    What if your eye doctor ran his business like we usually cast our bullets? I think it would be something like this:
    You walk in and tell him you need a pair of glasses because you can’t focus.
    He tosses a used pair of glasses across the counter and says, “these here worked for me when I was your age. That’ll be $150.99.”
    You try them on and inform him that they’re better, but not really as good as you had hoped.
    He says, “Don’t be silly! You have to wear them for at least 6 months before you can tell whether they work or not!”
    That’s about how it is with cast boolits. The first thing you have to do is learn to see and that involves following the steps provided, but after you learn to see you must learn to focus. And focus is not a one size fits all proposition. It’s a very personal thing that you must learn for yourself and about yourself in order to be effective. It’s easy to paint with a broad brush and say that everybody does the same thing, but when you get down to the details, you find that casting good bullets is as personal a thing as a pair of shoes, or glasses. Each person does it slightly different.
    I teach people to cast very often here at the shop (if you want to swing by, Sunday is casting day and I don’t charge a thing.) and I have learned not to bust on people when they do something different than I do. As long as it works for them, its fair play, and I love seeing the diversity of style (sometimes I even learn something myself! LOL!) I encourage people to develop their own style, but not at the expense of precision and consistency.

Now, one thing I would like to say about this is that if you want absolute perfection, you are going to have to run back through and retest each variable I mentioned (and any that you change) the reason being that these things are all connected, and when you change one, you change the others slightly too. However, if you keep whipping your process with bell curves, you will get more and more consistent and more and more focused till you can cast with proficiency that is absolutely astounding. (My personal goal is 299 good one out of a 300 bullet session.) I have been doing this for a year now, and it’s getting better all the time.
    This was my last run:
    340 bullets cast. 299 good ones that weigh 0.0 on a tarred digital scale, and 41 bad that weigh anything but 0.0 and only one that was lighter than 1gr. I’m going back over my process each time I cast and looking to improve myself.
    This is a progression of my improvement so you can see how this has worked for me, ending with the example I just gave. Some of these curves are not 100 each, and some are more than. The determination that 100 minimum is a recent conclusion of mine.
    Attachment 131540
    Attachment 131541
    Attachment 131542
    Attachment 131543
    BTW, you find a light bullet, its probably a void:
    Attachment 131545
    Attachment 131546
    Attachment 131547
    Attachment 131548
    Again, what you see in the orange tote is 299 bullets that weigh 0.0 on a tared scale. All those on the paper towel are the ones that did not weigh 0.0 and would be clustered around the bottom of a looooooong line of good ones if I plotted them into a bell curve. That's the best I have don'e so far.
    Attachment 131549

Like I always say, it’s not the only way, but it’s a way that might work for you. Feel free to try it and use it to improve yourself.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-21-2015 at 11:18 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Good post.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Tim, thanks for your very informative thread!

Boolit Grand Master

Excellentdissertation goodsteel.

I can only add that I generally cast with two basic methods; quantity orquality.

When I am casting for quantity with single through 6 cavity moulds the goal is useablecast bullets for close range handgun or plinking where "best"accuracy is not the primary requirement. By useable cast bullets Imean bullets that may be partially frosted, shiny, not all of the same"as cast" diameter, maybe even a wrinkle or twos as long as the basediameter isn't compromised. When shooting fast multiple shots on largertargets (silhouette defensive targets, dingers and even steel SASStargets) let’s face it; top quality cast bullets are not really needed. Whenshooting low velocity plinking loads with handguns or rifles at rocks, dirtclods, pine cones and cow pies best quality cast bullets aren't really neededeither. Here useable cast bullets are had with a wide range of alloys(mostly scrounged range alloy with additional lead and tin added) cast atvarying alloy temperatures without too much fuss. I do not weight sortand mostly give only a cursory examination when sizing or loading to ensure thebullets is "useable". Lots of fun can be had with those kind ofloads and little pain or frustration when casting and loading. I might note that with a little attention,proper casting tempo, a quality alloy that casts well some pretty good bulletscan result given some good accuracy even at 100 yards when casting forquantity, especially if you simply cull the ones with visual defects out. I shoot a lot of these type cast bullets.

However, when I want to shoot cast bullets for hunting, target shooting (wherescoring is done), accuracy testing with rifle or handgun and especially whenshooting high velocity in rifles then when I cast things slow down and I castfor quality. Quality meaning the best and most consistent in weight andas cast measurements as I possibly can. When casting such even withmultiple cavity moulds I pay careful attention to most all the detailsgoodsteel discusses. In doing such for many years casting literally thousands (inthe last 2 days I have cast over a thousand 30 XCB bullets of linotype) I havefound that each alloy has a specific small range of temperature when used whilecasting is where I get the most consistent bullets. Using that specific temperature range for theparticular alloy gives less rejects due to defects in the cast bullets. These are discovered by a close visualexamination for external defects and weight sorting for internal defects.

I get reallyanal about weight sorting, especially for high velocity rifle cast bullet use.I have found through much HV testing that a +/- variation of .2 gr with 150 –165 gr .30 caliber cast bullets is sufficient for the velocities I am pushingthese bullets to. I have found no discernible difference in accuracy at theacceleration rates, psi’s and velocities I use between cast bullets of exactlythe same weight and those having the .2 gr +/- weight range. Weight sorting by .1 gr will give the “bellcurve” and demonstrate where this is for each bullet and alloy.

If the alloy isthe same, the mould the same, the casting technique the same and the alloytemperature is maintained in the sweet spot range then the external dimensionsof the cast bullets are going to be as close as you can get them, especiallywhen cast in different sessions on different days. I cast 436 XCBs day before yesterday and over700 yesterday. Thus far weight sortingis producing the same bell curve for both days of 154.5 gr +/- .2 gr. Measurements of the 30 XCBs from both days thusfar on a comparator are showing no variations between the cavities and novariation between the days casting. Alloyused was straight linotype and I found the sweet spot at 725 – 740 degrees usinga Lyman casting thermometer. I keep thethermometer in the alloy in the Lyman Mag 20 during casting for constantmonitoring.

Quality castbullets demand that consistency be applied consistently. Excellent post again goodsteel and I also recommend this be a "sticky".

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for investing the keystrokes, Tim. I've been using that bell curve evaluation method for a few years, it's one of the best reasons for having a digital scale. For a real eye-opener use that same method with commercial j-words.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing this method has taught me is the absolutely stagering level of precision that as available from our custom mold makers. For instance, I too have found that 730 degrees is the sweet spot for alloy temperature using Linotype in my brass 2 cavity XCB mold. The bullets weigh 154.8.
    sgt.mike came by last night to show off his new aluminum 5 cavity XCB mold. I was not surprised to find that once we dialed in the casting cadence, it too dropped bullets that weigh exactly 154.8 grains. We are obviously using our casting method to realize the precision that the mold maker designed into the product.
    This is a relatively recent development that is made possible by CNC interpolative machining, and CNC micro lathe boring. Back in the early days of cast boolit molds, each cavity was a fingerprint and would cast it's own way, so the common practice for competition was to use single cavity molds. I can tell you that with the modern molds we have available to us, if you match your process to the mold, it is very possible to get superb results out of a mold with many cavities, which is a huge boon to the cast bullet shooter.
    I originally started witnessing mold cavities back when all I had were cherry cut, two cavity, cast iron molds, and I never found one that dropped identical bullets from both holes until I tried molds made by our custom makers. If there is any difference at all, it's so minute that nothing I have in my possession is capable of measuring it (and measuring things is kind of what I do).
    No indeed. If I find a cavity that will not cast immeasurably the same as the others with a custom mold, it is much more likely that the problem lies on this side of the hinge bolt. Trust me, when I say "this level of precision impresses me" I am speaking from the perspective of a trained aerospace machinist, tool and die maker, and gunsmith.
    However, for all the precision that has been included in our custom molds, I believe that less than 1% of bullet casters actually try to find a way to utilize that precision to the limit that our tools will allow, and I have started this thread in an effort to convince people to make the attempt, and possibly to give people a small taste of what is possible if you learn to use these tools to achieve levels of consistency that have only recently been even remotely possible.

There is a sweet spot in temperature, cadence, and dwell time that if found is as reliable as the sunrise. If this sweet spot is found and realized, you can make superb casting runs where 90% of what falls from your mold is actually matchgrade product. A little work up front with a scale pays off at the range, and on your targets.

Using this process helps you achieve excellence no matter what method you follow, and the results can be better than you ever thought possible.

Thank you.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-22-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

That's as good a tutorial as I've ever read anywhere. Thanks. I know many new casters will be helped greatly if they'll just print it out and memorize it. Lots of good and true principles there that we see argued pro and con regularly. I really like the way you point out how when you cheat on one end, you pay on the other. We "moderns" seem to always be in a hurry, and we seem very resistant to accepting the simple fact that sometimes, things take as long as they take, and just can't be rushed no matter how much we'd like them to be. Good post.

Boolit Grand Master

All I can add is something that should go without saying; when I find the cadence and temp that a mould likes I write it down. I've added a separate page to each cartridge section of my "load notes" book for "casting notes" so that I don't have to start over again next time I pick up that mould.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Another excellent post in a long line of excellent posts. Thanks for taking the time to share. I have a question though--- will a really high quality boolit make the rifle quit shaking while I'm trying to aim?

Boolit Buddy
    Tim, Thank you. Your explanation and instructions are not lost on me. I have printed and laminated your instructions and they know reside taped to the wall on the left side of my casting furnace ( I can read it better there thru my $29.95 Walgreens reading glasses). I have yet to cast my first boolit but I have "smelted" about 300 Lbs of COWW and have about 100 Lbs of pure lead to cast into ingots. I am now on my way to Harbor Freight to purchase a rubber hammer. Gotta pickup a digital scale that reads in Grains somewhere. I guess I could use my powder scale but I believe that would be slow and tedious and not sure it would provide the results I really want.

Thanks again.
    Your efforts are not wasted on some of us.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    Another excellent post in a long line of excellent posts. Thanks for taking the time to share. I have a question though--- will a really high quality boolit make the rifle quit shaking while I'm trying to aim?
    All I'll say is that absolute confidence in the quality of your equipment, (like a forgone conclusion), can have a powerful effect at the moment of truth. If you wait to think about this stuff until you miss two deer in a row (or worse, "almost miss") or until you are trying to prove your load's worth in competition, it's too late. I don't like depending on a run of bullets that just "came together for me on that one day that I wrote on the calendar" and loads in which their effectiveness is balanced on the head of a pin.
    If I can't step up to the pot and call my shot, there's no reason I should expect to step into the woods or up to the line and do any better.

However, if you have based your loads on facts, and solid science, and your casting runs are built on the same foundations, then you know that even when you're having a bad day, the work you did in preparation will carry the burden of performance. That goes for casting, loading, and shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned in an earlier post I had cast about 700 XCB bullets of linotype yesterday. I sorted for any visual defect and by weight today. Also as mentioned if one is consistent in the techniques covered by the OP in this thread the bullets cast today can be the same as those cast several days or even months ago. Those I had cast last Friday for high velocity use in the 30x60 XCB were weight sorted to 154.5 gr +/- .2 gr. And so it was with those 30 XCB bullets s cast yesterday. I had used the same linotype alloy, monitored and maintained the alloy temperature at the “sweet spot” of 725 – 740 degrees with a casting thermometer in the alloy and used the same casting tempo and technique as before. I ended up yesterday with an estimated 700 bullets.

Attachment 131613

I didn’t miss that guestimate by much as there were 673 XCBs in that pile. Weight sorting them and visually inspecting them resulted in 13% (89) being rejected for weighing less than 154.0 gr or for any visual defect. At the bottom end a small lot of 6% (44) weighed 154.0 – 154.2 gr and will be used in the Palma rifle with 14” twist. At the top end 11% (76) weighed heavy at 154.8 – 155.5 gr and they will be used in my M70 ’06 with 10” twist. In the middle, the so called dome of the bell curve, there was 70% (464) that weighed in at 154.3 – 154.7 for a nominal 154.5 gr +/- .2 gr…..the same as those cast last Friday. The five smaller cups in the middle are the 464. The left cup is the culls, the right cup the "heavies" and the front cup is the light weight bullets.

Attachment 131614

Thus out of yesterdays casting session I ended up with 87% shootable 30 XCB bullets. Both days give me 800+ 30 XCB bullets suitable for high velocity in Dawn, my 30x60 XCB rifle. My first outing with these bullets will be testing the 30 XCB bullet cast of linotype at 2950 – 3100+ fps. Hopefully will get to shoot on Monday orTuesday and have a report to post on the “Slow Twist…..” thread.

We see that consistency applied correctly does indeed pay dividends.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Excellent post, so now do you shoot those in order? (lol) Someone mentioned talking down notes, which is a MUST.
    Also, what kind of music your playing. Music tempo can really foul things ups.

Boolit Master
    Thank you to Goodsteel and also to the commenting posters in follow-up. Goodsteele, your first pic caught me off guard as the bell curves I construct and have used in the past in other applications had greater weight or quantity to the right and lesser to the left, but so long as you don't break into SDs and such I can hang with it. You mentioned casting in a shop and that can be one HUGE variable, the ambient temperature being, well, consistent. Those of us casting more in the open areas contend with re-learning freeze and dwell times as well as rate. Thanks again!

prs

Boolit Mold
    A big thank you from an infrequent poster. Always a pleasure to read your post goodsteel! This entire post has been down loaded an printed out. Thank you again!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bhl2506 View Post
    A big thank you from an infrequent poster. Always a pleasure to read your post goodsteel! This entire post has been down loaded an printed out. Thank you again!
    My pleasure sir.

A nice even, unraised, untorn sprue cut is a must also. Raised cut is not good. Torn causes unwanted voids.

Mr. Goodsteel again I am impressed by the knowledge and sharing of such on this sight. I don't know how others feel but maybe this should become a "sticky". Thanks for sharing.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Great demonstration Sarge. Thank you for weighing in sir! (pun intended) LOL!

Boolit Grand Master

Mike

Interesting to note your "G2" cast 30 XCBs are averaging out identical to mine from my last 2 casting sessions as I posted above! Obviously "consistency applied" is practiced extremely well in the making of moulds at NOE

Larry Gibson

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast