RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Opinions on nickel babbit ingot

Opinions on nickel babbit ingot

Ok just like the title say's I had about 200 of these ingots show up in front of the shop door with a note that said hope you can use these.
    they say POWER nickel-genuine. they each weigh 8# each. I sent one up to the South Dakota school of mines and technology Wednesday to get it analyzed.
    the result show some interesting stuff. one thing that it showed there is no nickel in them?
    this is what it showed.
    SN=89.65%
    CU=3%
    SB=7%
    PB=.35%
    other than the copper in them which is not much what would you guys do with them?. I have no idea who even left them and no it was not any of you guys.
    looking for options to there use maybe sweeting agents?

I would get myself a shotgun slug mould, cast it all up into 1 oz pills and just use to help with fill out being it is almost 90% tin. I also have a fair amount of this sitting here in my basement, and the only thing I did notice with it is when added to a pot-full of alloy. You may have to increase your melt temp 25-50 * the copper in it seems to make it a little "stringy" from the spout. Other than that it helps to make purty boolits!

Vendor Sponsor

It should notice a slight gold or blue color running thru it .. That's the copper ...
    I use nearly the exact Hi Speed Babbit for tin in my rifle bullets .. 2 % of this with 50/50 or all WW makes a great easy pouring bullet

PS I would love to get about 16 LBs of it (purchase of course)
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 02-20-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    1600 lbs of high-speed babbit... Santa Claus may be late, but he obviously LOVES you!
    It is an excellent "sweetener", and pretty desirable trade material on a site like this.

Boolit Master
    That's worth thousands of dollars isn't it?

Must have a good friend somewhere.

It's worth a lot of money so if you have more of that than you need, trade some of it for a significantly greater quantity of lead. That way you don't wind up putting gold into the berms.

The school gets about half of it for projects they want to do. good karma. they said they can get the copper out if I want them to. just got back from there about 5 minutes ago. might have them do that, smoke4320 i'll get back to you on that, i'll let one go for sure and I trade not that I don't like money I just don't need any right now. shoot me a pm.

Boolit Master

All the contortions some of you gentlemen documented putting Cu in and he says he's going to take it out.
    Bang head on concrete.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

No I said that they can take it out if I wanted I have no idea yet I am going to mess with it and see first. yea William yanda a lot of ppl are trying to put a little in and they asked if I wanted it out, I run all my alloy through there lab so I am going to make up a batch and have them run it and see how it goes.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    they're worthless, send them my way

I picked up a LEE round ball 12 cavity mold for that reason. Now I can put in 3-4-5 ball's to sweeten any pot. I was given a bucket from a rad shop that's 70/30 solder

Boolit Buddy
    The chemistry looks like Grade 2 Babbitt (ASTM B23 Grade 2). I stumbled into some of this in wire form a year ago and it's currently my principal source of tin. I don't use much tin in the melt so the bit I have should last a good while. If the copper in it has any negative effect I've never noticed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Copper makes the bullet "tougher" as opposed to harder. I hope you will decide to sell some of this as it is highly desirable alloy. Used as "tin" it will not reduce the Sb percentage since it has plenty, it will add a touch of copper which yields a slightly tougher bullet. Certainly worth a price comparable with pewter (+90% tin) which tends to be around $10 a lb. I'm guessing you could sell those 8# ingots for $70 each without much problem at all. Or in that price range generally. Ask around send some PM's to get a good idea of price then share your good fortune and make a profit.

Consider a rifle bullet at high velocity, needs to be harder to handle the velocity but too hard and it will break on impact providing no penetration. Copper would help hold that lead together allowing you to go a bit harder and still have good results.

Hollow points need to be soft to expand but too much plain soft lead and the hollow point just fragments rather than mushrooms. Copper can help with that too.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Download the free alloy calc spreadsheet on here, put those % in one of the custom spots at the bottome, and use it as pretty much Sn, but the calc will tell you exactly what you get when adding to pure, WW's, range, etc.

Good source of Sn. Cu is nice for toughness!

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    If you decide to sell some, keep me in mind!

I picked up 30, 4lb bar's of this stuff at a scrap yard for scrap lead price's.

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/...el_babbitt.htm

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Man shows up on front porch of my house, says "you cast lead bullets, right"? So, with an affirmative answer, he unloads 50+ lbs of Grade 11 Babbitt alloy. (XRF verified Thanks Bangerjim for the help in identification process.) How much I owe ya? "Just let me know when you need some more!"Well, OK THEN!!! (ya don't ever know sometimes)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I think this thread needs to be retitled "Lucky Stiffs I'm Going to be Jealous of for MONTHS".
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat