Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 8x58R problems

8x58R problems

Got some 40/65 Winchester brass sized down from 45/70. Spent the day turning the rims down to fit the Danish Krag I have. I then ran the brass through the 8x58R die. All but one collapsed at the shoulder . Didn't matter if the brass was annealed or not. I then tried R-P 45/70 through the 8x58r and it sized no problem, so the dies work. Any guesses as to why the brass that has been sized to 40/65 gets wrecked ? This is my first attempt to try something like this and I'm stumped. I hate to toss all the brass I turned and start from scratch. Photo L-R:
    40/65 case on the left, crushed cases, 45/70 resized to 8x58R.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by mm1ut1; 02-19-2015 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I've sized Starline brass down to 8x58r just using a FLS die. I recently tried sizing 577/450 using intermediate dies, and I got crushing. My theory is that the brass below the shoulder is not well enough supported in some the dies. I am looking into using a 40-82, 38-56, and then 8x58r. As for brass Winchester is usually a little harder going by many say.
    Last edited by craig61a; 02-20-2015 at 12:35 PM.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    When you are trying to neck a case that is smaller in diameter than the die interior, the cases bulge out at the shoulder from the force applied. That bulge provides a place for the case to fold and crush.

Once the shoulder is no longer supported you can only size in small increments that do no over load the unsupported case.
    EDG