RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 6.5 Remington Magnum project - case forming

Boolit Buddy
    I was fortunate enough to get a great deal on a real 6.5 rm forming die recently. If you can get access to one they are the way to go. I lightly anneal the neck and shoulder of the small batches of belted mag brass I come across. Then I lube them with imperial wax and run them through the die, trim to length and check the necks. So far I have made 6.5 rm from 7mm rm, 300 wm, 300 weatherby and 375 h&h without any headaches.

It is a great cartridge that arrived before its time. If it was new today and offered in a pretty rifle I think it would be very popular.

Boolit Mold
    I agree, I shoot two 6.5 RM's with great success. I have an older Model 600 Mohawk. Shoots wonderfully well with 100 TTSX and 85 GR Speer Varmint Bullets. Built this stock myself from a roughed in blank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429968307.098399.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Here is my custom build on a Eliseo Tube Gun Chasis with a Custom Pierce Tube gun Long action and a Bartlein Med Palma 5R Barrel with 1:8 Twist. Did this to overcome the deep seating issues on the Mohawk short action. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429968568.089526.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	137821, This shoots 130 GR Accubonds wonderfully well and 120 GR TTSXs equally as well all seated way out to 3.1 COAL.

I know old thread and all but some great info here, I just finished up forming some 6.5 Rem mag from 7mm mag brass, Thanks for posting this it was great help

I'll throw $0.02 in. I built a 6.5 Rem mag on a Siamese Mauser with a 26" ER Shaw barrel. It was fast & accurate. I chrono'd 140's at 3000 fps and 85's at 3500. Until the recoil wore you out it was a prairie dog laser. Good times. Best, Thomas.

So I should say this is a slow and meticulous process. The steps I used are as follows;
    1. deprime your 7mm mag brass (done with an RCBS decapping die)
    2. Clean your cases (Done with a STM wet tumbler 3 tbls of dawn/ 1/4 tbls of lemishine / 1 tbls of cream of tartar)
    3. Anneal the 7mm mag brass where the new shoulder will be for the 6.5 mag. (Done with Giraud Case annealer)
    4. Lube with imperial sizing die wax
    5. Run 7mm mag brass through Redding Form Die #1-Custom 6.5 Rem Mag (Part # 90231)
    6. Lube case again with sizing die wax
    7. Run case through Redding Form & Trim Die Series D 6.5 Rem Mag ( Part # 83231)
    8. Trim Excess length of neck with a dremmel tool and cut off wheel while still and die and then file to correct length wile brass is still in die remove and chamfer and deburr case mouth
    9. remove decapping and sizer mandrel from Redding FL die and resize (Die Set Part #84231)
    10. Lube case mouth and run through 6.5 mandrel and die
    11. loaded with 20 gr Unique topped of with cream of wheat and paper wad filler (spitball)
    12. fire formed at range (cleaned barreled every 3 shots with bore snake and CLP)
    13. checked the cases on the Redding Form & Trim Die Series D 6.5 Rem Mag ( Part # 83231)
    14. Ran them through FL Redding Die
    15. Ran through expander mandrel and die
    16. Turned the necks down with a 21st century neck turner (part# 30) I would emphasize that the necks will need to be turned as the neck wall will be to thick for loading. Failure to turn necks to correct Saami Specs will lead to unsafe chamber pressures.
    17. run them through the STM tumbler
    17. Ready to load.

If anyone has any corrections / suggetstions, I would appreciate the input

Banned
    I have done a lot of case forming over the years & have a 6.5 RM, but wonder why you don't just use RM brass? Is it hard to get? I was just loading up some yesterday & was thinking I could use some more.

I looks like making it is a pain.

ps just looked on Midway, Natchez & Midsouth & didn't even see it listed!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    You can get it @ $1 each, at least you could last December, don't remember where

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    So I should say this is a slow and meticulous process. The steps I used are as follows;
    1. deprime your 7mm mag brass (done with an RCBS decapping die)
    2. Clean your cases (Done with a STM wet tumbler 3 tbls of dawn/ 1/4 tbls of lemishine / 1 tbls of cream of tartar)
    3. Anneal the 7mm mag brass where the new shoulder will be for the 6.5 mag. (Done with Giraud Case annealer)
    4. Lube with imperial sizing die wax
    5. Run 7mm mag brass through Redding Form Die #1-Custom 6.5 Rem Mag (Part # 90231)
    6. Lube case again with sizing die wax
    7. Run case through Redding Form & Trim Die Series D 6.5 Rem Mag ( Part # 83231)
    8. Trim Excess length of neck with a dremmel tool and cut off wheel while still and die and then file to correct length wile brass is still in die remove and chamfer and deburr case mouth
    9. remove decapping and sizer mandrel from Redding FL die and resize (Die Set Part #84231)
    10. Lube case mouth and run through 6.5 mandrel and die
    11. loaded with 20 gr Unique topped of with cream of wheat and paper wad filler (spitball)
    12. fire formed at range (cleaned barreled every 3 shots with bore snake and CLP)
    13. checked the cases on the Redding Form & Trim Die Series D 6.5 Rem Mag ( Part # 83231)
    14. Ran them through FL Redding Die
    15. Ran through expander mandrel and die
    16. Turned the necks down with a 21st century neck turner (part# 30) I would emphasize that the necks will need to be turned as the neck wall will be to thick for loading. Failure to turn necks to correct Saami Specs will lead to unsafe chamber pressures.
    17. run them through the STM tumbler
    17. Ready to load.

If anyone has any corrections / suggetstions, I would appreciate the input
    If you haven't bought those expensive forming dies yet, consider buying Lee sizing bodies in .350RM and .300WM (you'll have to chop it) to use as intermediate dies. They won't work any better, but they'll be cheaper.

What brand of cases are you using to start with? You MAY not have to turn or ream necks. I did not, with most of the brass that I used.

Already bought the forming dies and I used a mix of federal WW and RP brass for the first round ( R&D ) but I have an ammo can full of Frontier Brass, Fed & WW brass had to turn all the Necks RP Brass was within spec

Boolit Master
    Wow! This is available! But not 6.5 from Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...gnum-box-of-20

Qual-Cart has it in stock however: http://www.qual-cart.com/264%20cal.htm

I like 6.5's but have never had a 6.5 Rem mag.

I will stick with reforming alreadycommitted the train has left the station, besides I can get new Norma 7mm Mag brass and start from there for 1.27 PP

Banned
    I already checked with Quality & they had it for $39 per 20. $2 ea is pretty spendy.

Try Huntington all you guys that ain't forming them. Best, Thomas.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Try Huntington all you guys that ain't forming them. Best, Thomas.
    What Huntington? Are you talking RCBS? They don't have brass. If other, give us some more info.
    THanks
    Tom

Boolit Master
    https://www.huntingtons.com/store/home.php?cat=108

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    What Huntington? Are you talking RCBS? They don't have brass. If other, give us some more info.
    THanks
    Tom
    EDG

Banned
    Checked, they didn't show it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    Already bought the forming dies and I used a mix of federal WW and RP brass for the first round ( R&D ) but I have an ammo can full of Frontier Brass, Fed & WW brass had to turn all the Necks RP Brass was within spec
    I'm glad it's working out for you. Should be a fun caliber to play with.

Boolit Master
    I always take the expanded out when reforming up or down.
    It is messy but lube dents got to zero, use powdered graphite.
    I have the 350RM. The Lee dies have a vent hole and it is located right at the shoulder. When sizing it gouges out a little sliver that I am not happy with.
    I have quite a few odds and ends of junk dies. I am going to make some trim dies as soon as I get this lathe set up and running.
    Jeff

I have a 350 RM also and that is the DRT rifle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast