RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Decided on the Ruger 45 Long Colt for Deer

Boolit Grand Master
    The "cow stories" above lend credence to stories from the time of the 45 Colt's development in which its blackpowder loading of 40 grains of 3F under a 255 grain round flat-nose bullet was intended to shoot through a cavalry mount and inflict injury on an enemy using said mount for cover. Those BP loads from the issued 7.5" barreled Colt SAA were good for 1000 FPS. THAT is a service sidearm!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Dang I know I hear about seating deeper in an auto but a Ruger cylinder? I know who can fix that!
    Yeah, but I haven't decided yet... The Lone Wolf barrel that I have in my Glock will chamber these loads, but the 24 lb spring driving them into the chamber might have something to do with it... They will not chamber in any of the M1911s that I have -- which is probably a good thing since they are not converted for the (.460 Rowland level) .45 SUPER +P+.

Vmathias
    I'm from the Mainville Sportsman Club An have several friends at the club who retired correction officers .
    I have quite a few 45 colts rifles and hand guns , I mostly shoot 255 gr. rnfp with 5.0 grs of Clays I can hit Bowling pin at 100yds with
    my 7 1/2" Ruger Vaqueros. (no brag just fact)
    Any you can hit with it will go down.
    If you would like come out meet with me when the snow clears and it warms up a little bit.
    Just email me edbergen@hotmail.com
    Here is the clubs website address
    www.mscrange.org.
    Go to the Buffalo rifle shooting match or to the Cowboy Action shooting match site and look up Dusty Ed that is me.
    Dusty Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    Vmathias
    I'm from the Mainville Sportsman Club An have several friends at the club who retired correction officers .
    I have quite a few 45 colts rifles and hand guns , I mostly shoot 255 gr. rnfp with 5.0 grs of Clays I can hit Bowling pin at 100yds with
    my 7 1/2" Ruger Vaqueros. (no brag just fact)
    Any you can hit with it will go down.
    If you would like come out meet with me when the snow clears and it warms up a little bit.
    Just email me edbergen@hotmail.com
    Here is the clubs website address
    www.mscrange.org.
    Go to the Buffalo rifle shooting match or to the Cowboy Action shooting match site and look up Dusty Ed that is me.
    Dusty Ed
    Well heck I live in Bloomsburg. I am sure we know some of the same people. It would be great to meet ya.

Boolit Master

Vmathias
    I have quite a few 45 colts rifles and hand guns , I mostly shoot 255 gr. rnfp with 5.0 grs of Clays I can hit Bowling pin at 100yds with my 7 1/2" Ruger Vaqueros. (no brag just fact)
    With iron sights? Hell, a good portion of us around here (myself included) would be doing good to even *see* a bowling pin at 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

Point is, the 45 (not Long) Colt doesn't need to be hot-rodded to be a great hunting round. But it can be hot-rodded to do everything the mighty 43 Mag can do, indeed very close to the Springfield 45-70 loads. With proper boolits and shot placement the 45 Colt will get the job done, been doing it for over 140 years.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Howdy vmathias
    I'm sure we do.
    Some of the local folks Rod Bardo( Bardo Tires) Denny Jaskowisc (CJ Contractor) Curt (Curt's Gunshop)
    Like I said just email me edbergen@Hotmail.com

Howdy Navyvet
    I'm a Navy Vet too 1957 to 1960
    At 100yds it looks like a bowling pin but at 300yds. it looks like small white stripe , I can hit regularly at 300 with my 4570 or 5090
    Sharps with iron sights ,of course that is off the bench , the hand gun at 100yds is standing off hand. (No brag just fact)
    Dusty Ed

Boolit Master

Howdy Navyvet
    At 100yds it looks like a bowling pin but at 300yds. it looks like small white stripe , I can hit regularly at 300 with my 4570 or 5090
    Sharps with iron sights ,of course that is off the bench , the hand gun at 100yds is standing off hand. (No brag just fact)
    Dusty Ed
    If it was this bowling pin, I could probably see it at 100 yds:

Howdy Navyvet
    Dusty Ed
    That makes 3 of us. 1992-1996 Norfolk Va. USS America-CV66

Boolit Buddy
    Hey guys, been following the thread. I am in the Sullivan County PA woods with 45 Colt in both Red and Blackhawk. While I have'em all, the 45 is my goto choice. With them a hit is a hit... when it is nearly a half inch on the way in, who neds expansion? I even slow them down a bit from max speed with little observed lacking in effectiveness.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by vmathias View Post
    That makes 3 of us. 1992-1996 Norfolk Va. USS America-CV66
    vmathias, you ever get into the bars there in Norfolk and see a southern/classic rock band called Blue Lords? I played bass with those guys 1993-1999 we rocked a LOT of sailors back in them days..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-06-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by BwBrown View Post
    Hey guys, been following the thread. I am in the Sullivan County PA woods with 45 Colt in both Red and Blackhawk. While I have'em all, the 45 is my goto choice. With them a hit is a hit... when it is nearly a half inch on the way in, who neds expansion? I even slow them down a bit from max speed with little observed lacking in effectiveness.
    I travel through Sullivan Count every few months and on up through Dushore to New York. Sullivan County has some of the most Beautiful land in PA. I think I am making a wise choice with the 45LC.

Boolit Mold
    Remington made a 45 SHORT colt back in the late 1880s

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    vmathias, you ever get into the bars there in Norfolk and see a southern/classic rock band called Blue Lords? I played bass with those guys 1993-1999 we rocked a LOT of sailors back in them days..
    Didnt really make it in the bars much. I was deployed to the Med most of the time that I was there. Spent A year in a half on the ship...

Boolit Buddy
    RE: DustyEds comment on the range of 100yds.---don't knock it. I used to shoot 100yds. with a 357mag. in a 6" s&w at 1 an 2 liter plastic bottles and have consistent hits. Of course that was when I was competion shootin (won a few bucks on silly bets) and could still see. It use to insult some rifle shooters especially when they didn't know what the heck they were doing, you know shoot half a box of ammo and then they were ready TO GO HUNTIN'. Sorry to say today with retinal macral degen I'm doing good to see 50yds. iron sights. All I can say is God Bless OPTICS. and all this was with a puny 357maggie. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I had the physics class, navyvet. My point was that with a large boolit in 45lc you dont need max loads to get truely awesome penetration. The larger the boolit the slower you need to push it to a reasonable point of course.
    Your physics are flawed. A rapid expanding soft core JHP over its limits yes...but that's not what is happening here. A .358 110g JHP in my .357 Herret at 2500fps does things to a jackrabbit that aren't for weak stomachs.

Its my go to revolver with 4-7 3/4" barrels for carry while a field. My plinker load is the LEE 255 with Unique (over book I wont post) runs about 1100fps. My long barrel Ruger Blackhawk loves that LEE 255 over a max load of R7 sited in at 75y any deer under 125y is toast. I also use Lil'Gun loads and the LEE 340g for 1200-1300fps depending on barrel for bear loads.

Any of these loads on deer will not expand, neither do they destroy meat. I don't go lower than 255g any more for accuracy at velocity..its a matter of bearing surface to pressure. A 200g would be fine for deer into the 1600fps range if you can get it to shoot. I had some 135g button boolits that wouldn't shoot over 600fps, but in theory if they did and could be pushed to 2100fps they would hammer deer with lots of meat damage. Velocity does matter as well as boolit diameter, nose profile, boolit construction, and weight. That 255g in the 1100-1500fps range is a flat shooting, hard hitting, deep penetrating beast. It is still a great boolit in the 800-900fps range but you loose the trajectory.

Sited in at 75y put the front ramp in the low chest for 50y, at 100y just under the back skyline. Under 50 just aim dead on and over 100y I create a small gap of light. Shooting rifle targets isn't an issue (with my eyes yet) out to 300y. It just takes range time and ammo.

Last fall I shot a big mule deer doe with my plinker load and 4" Redhawk at 40y. .45 in, .47(ish) exit no real meat loss, short 5y run and piled up dead. That boolit went through her barely slowing down and off to the next county.

NVScouter,

Did I read your post right? You put R7 in your 45LC?

Boolit Buddy

He's not the only one using RX7 in the Colt.
    I've got great accuracy and excellent velocities using RX7 in both my Ruger Bisley and Marlin Cowboy (24" bbl).
    I use a magnum primer to help it burn a bit better.
    Using RCBS 270 SAA (weighs 287 grs with my alloy) and a starting load of 26 grs.
    I've taken it to 27.0 grs without any strain on either gun.
    These were worked up in a 16" Winchester Trapper.
    Federal 155 primers.

Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
    255 Lee flatnose Alliant RL-7 27.0 1,505
    300 Speer flatnose Alliant RL-7 26.0 1,266
    Remarks: accurate
    300 LBT Alliant RL-7 26.0 1,290
    300 Hornady JHP (rifle) Alliant RL-7 27.0 1,376
    Remarks: accurate
    340 Lee roundnose Alliant RL-7 26.0 1,351

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen.....place your shot carefully and the deer will never know if you hit it with a 45 Colt, a 44 Magnum, or a .32-20 bullet.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast