Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Decided on the Ruger 45 Long Colt for Deer

Decided on the Ruger 45 Long Colt for Deer

After exhaustive research I decided to go with the Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" in 45 LC. With slightly hot hand loads (1100fps)/ 255g boolits and the thick Pennsylvania woods I think this is the clear choice. Shots will be less than 70 yards but have read that similar loads will easily get the job done out to 100.

Vendor Sponsor

That's a great choice of gun AND caliber. Even the 1873 BP loading behind the hollow base lead round nose is bad medicine for a deer, as it was originally conceived to shoot through the enemy's horse, and still kill the enemy.

Most of the experienced .45 Colt shooters here have been with this caliber for 30+yrs and find it really shines with heavy boolits and slow burning powder. 280gr to 320gr cast boolits with a large flat nose at 1175f/s or so would be pretty close to the max recoil that most would want to handle, some of us shoot that as a day in day out hunting load, no need for a HP here.

My favorite is the Lee C452-300-RF boolit over 20.5gr LilGun, this is about an 85% to 90% loading, same boolit over 22.5gr 296 or H110 would be pretty much the max, and will drive a 340gr hardcast slam through 36" of seasoned oak firewood.

Lee C452-300-RF:

Hardcast 340gr SSK TC boolit over 22.0gr 296, recovered after traveling through 34" - 36" of oak firewood:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

The Lee 452-255RF (255g) will most likely be the Mold I will Purchase. This will give me a tad more Velocity without constantly pushing the Ruger pressures. I do know The Blackhawks have been tested well above the standard pressures but for what I will be hunting I think this combo will be right where I want it to be. Field tests will be the ultimate decider of course.

Boolit Grand Master
    good choice for sure
    as with DougGuy I always seem to go on the heavy side as well
    but I always seem to go heavy
    my 44 I shoot 300-320 gr.
    I really like the 45c and have had a few(handguns) still have that cal in a rifle
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by vmathias View Post
    The Lee 452-255RF (255g) will most likely be the Mold I will Purchase. Field tests will be the ultimate decider of course.

I seriously doubt any of them will be getting away from it!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I'm quite fond of the 45 colt. I started out with the lee 452-255RF at around 970 fps. It's still my most accurate load to date. Perhaps I'm a little hard of hearing but I can shoot this load in the field without ringing my ears. This is a personal requirement of mine in a field handgun.

After shooting a few deer and a coyote plus a good pile of small game I decided I needed a better boolit. This boolit at this velocity just punches a 45 cal hole thru game be it big or small.
    I went with the Lyman 452-424 and had Eric HP one cavity with a cup type HP. To get my fixed sight gun to shoot to the sights I have to push it to around 1050. I do get better blood trails with this load but the end result , distance traveled after the shot is about the same. Some go down right there, I've had one go 75 yds but most go about 30/40 yds.

Its just a personal opinion but I consider the 45 colt to be one of the finest handgun cartridges ever made.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Excellent choice Vmathias. I've been using the Lee 255 rnf for a bit now and find it works excellent. Over a modest charge of Unique it goes right thru our Pa. deer quite handily. I'm using 8.5 to 9 grains so I'm a bit below your load. (seems I didn't chrono that one) I stayed with an accurate load over velocity. Groups, using a scope and sandbags, with a 7 1/2 inch Blackhawk run under 2 inches at 75yds. I tried the Lee 300's. As a matter of fact I cast the first ones Doug Guy tried. Never could get the accuracy from them and the recoil gets brutal in short order. The Lyman 452460 (200gr.) was a real eye opener as well. Never could get it to work in any 1911 but in the Blackhawk it worked dandy. Gahhhh...don't know what key I hit to make the bold type. Audie..the befuddled Oldfart.

Boolit Master
    Vmathias, how close are ye to Greencastle/Chambersburg Pa. ? Audie...the Oldfart..

Vendor Sponsor

Audie, those are your boolits in the top photo!

I have a Vaquero, I run some stout charges and heavy for caliber boolits to get it to shoot to the sights. I can't use a 255gr as it would hit 4" low at 25yds. I have 6 or 7 loads that all shoot to the same point of aim, but they are all in the 300gr - 340gr range. Recoil very pronounced, yep get your attention like RIGHT NOW!

Very dead critters, took two with one shot one year from a 4 5/8" Vaquero, both DRT.

[QUOTE=oldfart1956;3145683]Vmathias, how close are ye to Greencastle/Chambersburg Pa. ? Audie...the Oldfart..[/QUOTe

I am about 3 to 3.5 hrs away. I am up near the Bloomsburg Area.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    Excellent choice Vmathias. I've been using the Lee 255 rnf for a bit now and find it works excellent. Over a modest charge of Unique it goes right thru our Pa. deer quite handily. I'm using 8.5 to 9 grains so I'm a bit below your load. (seems I didn't chrono that one) I stayed with an accurate load over velocity. Groups, using a scope and sandbags, with a 7 1/2 inch Blackhawk run under 2 inches at 75yds. I tried the Lee 300's. As a matter of fact I cast the first ones Doug Guy tried. Never could get the accuracy from them and the recoil gets brutal in short order. The Lyman 452460 (200gr.) was a real eye opener as well. Never could get it to work in any 1911 but in the Blackhawk it worked dandy. Gahhhh...don't know what key I hit to make the bold type. Audie..the befuddled Oldfart.
    I was contemplating the 7.5" barrel but for carry I am only 5'8. I figured the 5.5 barrel would be much easier to negotiate while carrying. Havent purchased yet though and am still considering the 7.5. If it shoots that much better I will go that route.

Boolit Buddy
    So if you don't mind my asking, what made you go with that vs the 44 mag? I am also a Pa hunter and have contemplate getting into revolver hunting. I just wondered what were the deciding factors that made you go that direction.

Perma-Banned

After exhaustive research I decided to go with the Ruger Blackhawk 5.5" in 45 LC. With slightly hot hand loads (1100fps)/ 255g boolits and the thick Pennsylvania woods I think this is the clear choice. Shots will be less than 70 yards but have read that similar loads will easily get the job done out to 100.
    Just wondering...

What made this the CLEAR choice?

I am wondering, because I have the same gun, and it is NOT my clear choice. Matter of fact, it is seldom used for deer hunting, my 44 special's perform just as well and in a smaller gun.

Not saying that it is not sufficient...just wondering about the criteria you used in to make it a "clear" decision.

Attachment 131436
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 02-20-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Just wondering...

What made this the CLEAR choice?
    1. Well for starters a Ruger Super Blackhawk is about $100.00 More than The Blackhawk. Not a huge factor but one to consider when I have mold-powder dies to purchase.

2. I have read many, many reviews and real world experiences with Both the 44 mag and the 45 LC. between the two with handloads the difference is marginal BUT with the slightly bigger caliber equals bigger wound channel. Not a huge difference but a difference all the same.

3. I hunt the thick woods of Pennsylvania which means 90% of the time I am seeing shots at 60 yards or less.

4. From what I have read the LC for what I will use it for will be an equally effective cartridge for my area and terrain.

5. The LC can be run at lower pressures with equal ballistics of the 44 mag which means less recoil, not that recoil is a huge factor but again something to consider on quicker follow up shots.

6. Most important for my personal preference is the history behind the 45 colt and how versatile this round actually is.

I will finish by saying that in NO WAY am I saying that it is a better or more powerful cartridge than the 44 magnum. They each have their benefits. With the bigger diameter and comparing velocities it will do pretty much whatever the 44 mag will do. And with Cost in mind it made it the clear choice for me.

The Lee 452-255-RF...always a good choice. One of the more accurate boolits out of my OM Vaquero and Rossi 92 with 9 or 10gr of Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    So if you don't mind my asking, what made you go with that vs the 44 mag? I am also a Pa hunter and have contemplate getting into revolver hunting. I just wondered what were the deciding factors that made you go that direction.
    I have read many articles and have received advice from a very knowledgeable friend on this very subject. When I first asked him about hunting calibers for a pistol he immediately stated the 45LC due to how versatile the cartridge is. I also read a informative article from John Linebaugh: "The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend". A very good read on comparing the 45 LC to the 44 magnum.

Perma-Banned

5. The LC can be run at lower pressures with equal ballistics of the 44 mag which means less recoil, not that recoil is a huge factor but again something to consider on quicker follow up shots.
    Okay...thanks...as I said, just wondering.

But, I will tell you up front, there is no difference in recoil between the 44mag and the colt when comparing comparable loads. This "low pressure"..."less recoil" stuff is a joke. If you doubt this...when you get the gun, stoke some up and light'em off...a picture is worth a thousand words. And, I say this after having shot heavy loads in both cartridges for years...they are an equal handful and not fun to shoot more than a few rounds.

Good luck and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Okay...thanks...as I said, just wondering.

But, I will tell you up front, there is no difference in recoil between the 44mag and the colt when comparing comparable loads. This "low pressure"..."less recoil" stuff is a joke. If you doubt this...when you get the gun, stoke some up and light'em off...a picture is worth a thousand words. And, I say this after having shot heavy loads in both cartridges for years...they are an equal handful and not fun to shoot more than a few rounds.

Good luck and enjoy.
    I have shot both calibers many many times. Never side by side though so I do not have the experience that you do with these cartridges. I would however think that it would only make sense that firing a bullet of equal weight with less pressure would result in less felt recoil. Again I have no experience with this. Bye the way, That is one sweet looking pistol. Would love to find one is stainless. Dont think Ruger is currently making them.

Perma-Banned

I have shot both calibers many many times. Never side by side though so I do not have the experience that you do with these cartridges. I would however think that it would only make sense that firing a bullet of equal weight with less pressure would result in less felt recoil. Again I have no experience with this. Bye the way, That is one sweet looking pistol. Would love to find one is stainless. Dont think Ruger is currently making them.
    Thanks...it is a Williams Supply distributor exclusive (like Lipsey's)...was never a catalog item.

And, I concur, you would think less pressure would equal less recoil...but in the full tilt loads, they are both knuckle busters...not pleasant.

Boolit Master
    Good choice, but then again, I have both .44 Mag and .45 Colt and love both. I do have a slight preference for the .45 Colt due to the history involved and also due to having used the .45 for a lot more things over a lot longer time. But both are good choices, and neither really does anything the other doesn't on deer and hog size game.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast