Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Decided on the Ruger 45 Long Colt for Deer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    The .357 max is the next step up from a .357 mag, just like the .357 mag is the next step up from a .38 special. From the look of it though, Ruger actually produced it in the .357 max caliber.

According to the wiki page, Ruger only made 400 Blackhawks chambered in .357 max.
    Ruger dropped it due to extreme top strap erosion/cutting from the gas velocity. I have shot the Dan Wesson 357 Max and it's loud.

Boolit Buddy
    l just love the 45 Colt ctg. lf S&W would just make a revolver chambered in it..l have a 460 Hunter but accuracy is terrible shooting 45 LC and its just too heavy. Twas not blessed with that royal title ''Magnum''... So l guess l can only wish

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    l just love the 45 Colt ctg. lf S&W would just make a revolver chambered in it..l have a 460 Hunter but accuracy is terrible shooting 45 LC and its just too heavy. Twas not blessed with that royal title ''Magnum''... So l guess l can only wish
    sw282,

S&W has made a variety of revolvers in 45 long Colt, the M25-5 (among others) and several stainless versions whose model # escape my memory. I have a 25-5 and with 260 grain bullets it is a good shooter.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by vmathias View Post
    Is this a modified 357 mag?
    Lengthened is a better description IMO. It was developed for IMHSA IIRC, supposedly less recoil than 44mag but still able to drop the 200m rams just as easily. Dan Wesson also had a version in there large frame revolvers and I think more of those were made than what Ruger did. Many guys will get their 357 mag Handi Rifle chambers "stretched" to fit it and get about 300fps (or more) out of the barrel.

On 300gr FP's, I have found that in my 44mag, they need to be up over 1000fps to get decent accuracy and faster is better. I cast the Lee 430 300gr FPGC but haven't had the time to work up a load that is better than "minute of deer" at 50yds. It can be done fairly easily but I just haven't put the time in to make it happen. I'm also a NOOB when it comes to casting so my boolits are probably of lower quality which complicates getting a good load figured out. I'm learning that I need to tune up my casting practices to consistently get good quality boolits.

Boolit Master
    vmathias .... Where I am in Pa. everyone is born knowing a 45 colt is way under gunned for deer. Our deer are so big and tough that a 45 caliber bullet just bounces off them and don't even scare them. I seen a 30mm bullet mold on ebone and I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Recoil might be a bit much but what the heck .... there'll be some shredded meat in the freezer.
    All kidding aside, you have made a good choice. A fine handgun and a fine cartridge. What part of Pa. are you located in? I'm near DuBois along I-80.

Nighthunter

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post
    vmathias .... Where I am in Pa. everyone is born knowing a 45 colt is way under gunned for deer. Our deer are so big and tough that a 45 caliber bullet just bounces off them and don't even scare them. I seen a 30mm bullet mold on ebone and I'm thinking that might be the way to go. Recoil might be a bit much but what the heck .... there'll be some shredded meat in the freezer.
    All kidding aside, you have made a good choice. A fine handgun and a fine cartridge. What part of Pa. are you located in? I'm near DuBois along I-80.

Nighthunter
    Well I was thinking more like 50 Bmg for Pa deer . I am near the Williamsport area but about 30 miles below it. I think with a Strong framed Ruger Blackhawk in 255g 45 colt with powder coated boolits I will have more than ample big game power out to 100.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley hunter 44mag in 7.5 inches I packed it last year walking trying to kick up a deer for my buddy the slick wood grips don't work well with gloves on. I am looking into getting some with checkering or something in hard rubber.
    I don't like the Hogue grips made for a SA Ruger they don't fit my hand like my DW grips.

I am still looking for a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 45Colt.

I have taken deer with a S&W 44mag and a Taurus in 454.
    The deer I hit with the 44mag made it about 15ft it was a running shot from left to right about 10ft in front of me.
    The Taurus 454mag was about 50yards in front of me I hit it a little to far back and had to track it in the snow over 300 yards.

No matter what you shoot it is all about bullet placement.

Good luck hope the 45Colt works out for you.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Oh Heck Yeah Motor, Its all good. I am always up for friendly ball busting. Trust me I have worked in a Prison now going on 20 years. I have busted with the best of them. . The 500 would be sweet but I am pretty sure my wife would castrate me if I were to drop that kind of Dough with two kids currently in college, Haha. My max dollar amount right now is around $500. 00... The 45 colt is just one of many pistols I will be purchasing in the future. I will see how she does in the field and make my decision. I was SERIOUSLY considering a 357 mag but after reading many, many reviews both on here and the net I just dont think that will meet the requirements of the 45LC with hand loads. Only time will tell.
    Don't sweat it, vmathias. I had to hold off until both sons got thru college and that was after both had doctorates. Even with help they both had student loan debt. Now I get pretty much what I want and have for about 20 years. Amazing how age tempers your wants. My last purchase contradicts what I just said though. It was a custom five shot .45 Colt and I don't even hunt. For some of us just shooting and owning is enough.
    John
    W.TN

Banned

Starts with a 4 and don't worry, just make a good shot.

For me, the standard velocity .45 Colt is a most "pleasant" and effective "round". I've shot .454's, .500's (S&W and Desert Eagle), .460's, .44 magnums, and .45 Colt (max loads out of the "old" Blackhawk frame) and my "hats off" to those that enjoy their power! I, however, do not enjoy shooting them like I do the standard .45 Colt at around 900 to 1000fps. I got rid of my old Blackhawk .45 and .44 mag because "loading them down" to me was like driving a "NAS car" to pick up groceries at the "One Stop" (get a lot of "lookers" though). And, I own a Beretta Stampede (7 1/2") that I knew that sooner or later would be visited by one of my "hot" reloads from the "big" frame Ruger (little, self restraint here). My solution to gain more velocity (extra 300+ fps) was to trade other guns and purchase (kids graduated from college years ago) a Uberti 1873 Short Rifle in .45 Colt. This rifle and cartridge has given me more enjoyment than any "magnum" has in the past, pistol or rifle. I have had the best of luck with Lee's 255gr mold and RCBS's 270-45, whose bullet weighs about 280gr with my lead "mixture". The 270-45 will not feed very well in the rifle (none of the SWC's seem to make the "turn" into the chamber easily), but are very accurate in the Beretta and a "new model" (small frame) Vaquero. My favorite loads, besides the often quoted "Unique" ones, are 10.5 to 11.0gr of AA5, 16.5gr of 2400, 17.0gr SR4759 (favorite in rifle, as well), and 12.9gr of Blue Dot (Note: "Standard loading precautions apply!), and shoot close to POA. If I could only have one pistol (pure heresy!) it would in a .45 Colt, not to take anything away from those of you who prefer other calibers.
    Sorry for the long post and long time since my last visit (your kind "birthday" notice "highlighted" my neglect). Regards, Kaiser

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    For me, the standard velocity .45 Colt is a most "pleasant" and effective "round". I've shot .454's, .500's (S&W and Desert Eagle), .460's, .44 magnums, and .45 Colt (max loads out of the "old" Blackhawk frame) and my "hats off" to those that enjoy their power! I, however, do not enjoy shooting them like I do the standard .45 Colt at around 900 to 1000fps. I got rid of my old Blackhawk .45 and .44 mag because "loading them down" to me was like driving a "NAS car" to pick up groceries at the "One Stop" (get a lot of "lookers" though). And, I own a Beretta Stampede (7 1/2") that I knew that sooner or later would be visited by one of my "hot" reloads from the "big" frame Ruger (little, self restraint here). My solution to gain more velocity (extra 300+ fps) was to trade other guns and purchase (kids graduated from college years ago) a Uberti 1873 Short Rifle in .45 Colt. This rifle and cartridge has given me more enjoyment than any "magnum" has in the past, pistol or rifle. I have had the best of luck with Lee's 255gr mold and RCBS's 270-45, whose bullet weighs about 280gr with my lead "mixture". The 270-45 will not feed very well in the rifle (none of the SWC's seem to make the "turn" into the chamber easily), but are very accurate in the Beretta and a "new model" (small frame) Vaquero. My favorite loads, besides the often quoted "Unique" ones, are 10.5 to 11.0gr of AA5, 16.5gr of 2400, 17.0gr SR4759 (favorite in rifle, as well), and 12.9gr of Blue Dot (Note: "Standard loading precautions apply!), and shoot close to POA. If I could only have one pistol (pure heresy!) it would in a .45 Colt, not to take anything away from those of you who prefer other calibers.
    Sorry for the long post and long time since my last visit (your kind "birthday" notice "highlighted" my neglect). Regards, Kaiser
    Like I stated in my last posts I dont plan on Maxing out a load to get top velocity. I will most likely purchase some "Unique" with the 255G Lee boolit and play with that load combo to get me around 1100fps. Obviously accuracy will be the deciding factor with Velocity. A little more a little less. May dabble with Hodgon H110 as well.

Like I stated in my last posts I dont plan on Maxing out a load to get top velocity. I will most likely purchase some "Unique" with the 255G Lee boolit and play with that load combo to get me around 1100fps. Obviously accuracy will be the deciding factor with Velocity. A little more a little less. May dabble with Hodgon H110 as well.

To get "around 1100fps" you'll be better off with something like A2400 as Unique is a bit fast for that level....use the Unique for loads in the 850 to 950fps area....I personally don't like loading more than 9gr. of Unique behind a 255-260gr. bullet...also, the H110-W296 are great for "max" power loads (Ruger only) but doesn't like being "downloaded".....the most accurate powder in 45 colt "normal" loads I've ever shot was with 13gr. Blue Dot with the Lee 255gr. bullet.....doesn't quite make your "1100fps" but is a very good load none-the-less....JMO of course...great handgun, great caliber....

Vendor Sponsor

^^^^ Good stuff! Hard and fast rule with H110/W296 (same EXACT powder, made in the same plant) is do not download it at all. Use this when you are loading for Griz and you will be well served with it. Unique gets very scary in .45 Colt at 10.0gr and above, it can be spiky and most unpredictable, if 9.0gr ain't doing it for you switch to a different powder rather than keep trickling the Unique. When I do use Unique, it's for traditional cowboy loads, 8.0 - 8.5gr at the most.

Powders that work really well in .45 Colt for 75% - 90% power are 2400 and LilGun both of which can be tailored to a warm mid-level load with 255gr boolits, but probably work best with 280gr boolits.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a used one off of gunbroker for $400 that a guy used in cowboy action and was getting out. It has the long barrel. I've been playing with lighter 200 and 230gr target loads and it is fun. Much more enjoyable than the 357 recoil wise. I started in with the 454190 for a heavier boolit and had good luck with linebaugh loads just for kicks then came down a great deal. The Lee 452255 is great but I've been experimenting with the 452252 and have found it very good. I think any of these would be more than adequate for whitetail up your way. The 300gr Lee can be a little much recoil wise but if you can stand it it is a good one as Dougguy said.

Many guys here and elsewhere swear by 2400 in this gun and caliber. I've had just as good luck with Unique for low to mid range loads and H110 for the top end. IMO you will not have to go much higher than Unique loadings and the 252-255 boolit for whitetail but to each his own. Like many I've gone past my Loud-n-Boomer days and prefer a few steps under max and accuracy over speed and recoil
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    To get "around 1100fps" you'll be better off with something like A2400 as Unique is a bit fast for that level....use the Unique for loads in the 850 to 950fps area....I personally don't like loading more than 9gr. of Unique behind a 255-260gr. bullet...also, the H110-W296 are great for "max" power loads (Ruger only) but doesn't like being "downloaded".....the most accurate powder in 45 colt "normal" loads I've ever shot was with 13gr. Blue Dot with the Lee 255gr. bullet.....doesn't quite make your "1100fps" but is a very good load none-the-less....JMO of course...great handgun, great caliber....
    The further I looked into Unique I noticed that would be topped out under the velocity I want. Your input is greatly appreciated sir.

Moderator Emeritus

Aw well, I guess I'll chime in here. I'm pretty new at this handgun stuff myself, but when I started shooting the Ruger SBH in 72 I was convinced I'd found the premier hunting hand gun. For several years I ran a bunch of different loads through it, some were well beyond any published data. Target and test work was done at 200 yds or less, but varmints were taken beyond that with regularity. (I remember when I could see a pop can at 200 yds).
    Anyway, about 20 years ago somebody gave me a Ruger 45 colt. It sat for a few years till I got bored and started playing with it. Long story made short, my go to gun now is a 5 1/2 Blackhawk in 45, for me it fits, is a natural pointer, with a 255 gr. boolit over 17gr of 2400 will kill anything I feel like killin.
    So my thoughts on the 44 vs 45 debate? Ain't got any. The 45 feels good in my hand and does what I want to do.
    My advice, when you choose a gun, pick the one that suits you. No amount of recoil, ballistic, internet guru, smell test etc. amounts to a hill of beans if you don't shoot it well
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master
    Longshot may have a use for the speed you are looking at.
    I have only used it in the 41 mag and 327 thus far. But it shot so well I grabbed another pound. If all goes well as I think it will an 8 lb jug will be on my list.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    So if you don't mind my asking, what made you go with that vs the 44 mag? I am also a Pa hunter and have contemplate getting into revolver hunting. I just wondered what were the deciding factors that made you go that direction.
    If you handload and want a revolver the blackhawk 45 colt is hard to beat and with a 45 acp cylinder you can walk into any Walmart and buy a box of cheap 45 acp ball ammo to practice with. even if you don't handload I suppose you could put a couple boxes of buffalo bore 45 colt ammo on the shelf and still practice with the 45 acp.

I load an RCBS 255KT swc at 1000 fps for hunting.

Boolit Grand Master

The further I looked into Unique I noticed that would be topped out under the velocity I want. Your input is greatly appreciated sir.
    With the 45 Colt and the heavy boolit velocity is not king. Momentum is.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    45lc is a great choice. I shoot 250 gr lrnfp in front of 9.5 to 10.0gr of Unique through a
    Ruger New Model Blackhawk 7 1/2 barrel, and the northern wisc whitetails hate it.
    When hunting thick brush, and shots out two 75 yrds or so you cant beat it.
    I don't think you'll ever regret your choice

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast