Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tigger my main cat is sick

Boolit Master

Tuna water has way too much salt for a dehydrated cat but catnip tea would work if he would drink it. Maybe some low sodium tuna water if it can be found might work, most cats would have to be really sick to turn down tuna water!

Moderator Emeritus

Been adding water to the canned food to make it soupy, he laps it up big time. I am running their water through the Brita filter now. Showered this morning and it literally left me smelling like I had been in a pool. Called the city maintenance guy and he called the rural water people to have them check chlorine levels. Called me back an hour later and they have the chlorine upped because they have a frost break losing water somewhere and occasionally pulling in ground water during high use. They haven't found it yet and might not until frost goes out and a wet spot forms. They know it is somewhere on the 20 miles of line to town... So filter water for drinking through my better filter to catch bacteria just in case. Brita is fine to get rid of chlorine but not bacteria.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Wish you the best, both you and your pet cat.

Man, seems like you can't win for losing.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Mary, which Brita product do you have that eliminates chlorine?

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

All Brita pitcher filters with activated carbon will get rid of the bulk of chlorine https://www.brita.com/why-brita/what-we-filter/

I saw the neurosurgeon today, he is settling on a 1 level c6/c7 fusion to get arm pain down. More fusions might be needed down the road but he doesn't want to do multiple levels at once. So they are setting it up with the insurance company.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Our cat is a female rescue, named Teeger after the Winnie The Pooh cat. Our vet also emphasized filtered water with no chlorine and we use a Science Diet indoor, hairball formula. She was originally feral and we brought her indoors, got her plumbing adjusted and turned off the local kitten factory. She now is a happy indoor girl and has a playmate Cali, who is another rescue. Picture of her on the deck railing was before we brought her in and made her an "honest woman." She sleeps on my bed and in winter sleeps in front of the woodstove on the kitchen floor, close to her water bowl a nd food dish. Chasing any bugs to be found!

Attachment 132037Attachment 132038Attachment 132040
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Sorry about tigger, I hope he pulls through, please say a prayer for him , I will...Best Regards , Jim
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Mary,
    Sorry to hear your boy is feeling down.
    Eating and a good appetite is a good sign. You might be right about the tooth ache. Ours had a tooth go bad and he acted exactly what you are describing. You should have seen to vet testing each one to find out which one to pull.
    We have a half Maine Coon. He was about 25 lbs. in his youth. He's 15 years old and down to about 15lbs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0669.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	132060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0256.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	132059 We'll be praying for you and yours.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Moderator Emeritus

Love the over the arm pic, Tigger is almost always hanging out like that on the back of my chair if he isn't sleeping. He will put his head on my shoulder, then his front paws, then he slowly slides lower and lower to get in my lap. His version of a sneak to my lap and I just laugh at him over it. Tonight he is in front of the corn stove though, -3 and dropping and it is a very warm spot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Love the over the arm pic, Tigger is almost always hanging out like that on the back of my chair if he isn't sleeping. He will put his head on my shoulder, then his front paws, then he slowly slides lower and lower to get in my lap. His version of a sneak to my lap and I just laugh at him over it. Tonight he is in front of the corn stove though, -3 and dropping and it is a very warm spot.
    I hope an pray you get well soon. Your cats need you.
    Mr Digger is my best friend. He is always there for me..
    My best wishes for you in the days ahead..
    Last edited by Clay M; 02-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    They think they are being aloof and sneaky, but they are big babies that need attention as much as we do.

Take care of Tigger and scratch him on the top of the head for me.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Boolit Master

That "arm" pic makes me think of one of our other indoor cats (we have 3) that is sneaky indeed! He too is very old, he came here 11 years ago as a dropped-off/abandoned pet and while he was obviously as lovable as they make them he was already a long way from being young and he is rather,,,, well let's just say he wasn't much to look at with long shaggy fur and frost bitten ears! Due to his irresistible nature and the fact that the cold very obviously causes him a lot of distress (he constantly paws at his ears, or what's left of them, when it gets around freezing) we let him stay indoors in the winter. My daughter loves the old guy and says he's so ugly he's cute, well he is that and he's sneaky too! He favors my wife and whenever she sits down he will ever so slowly sneak up onto the back of the chair or sofa and then slowly inch his way closer and closer until he is stretched out on the arm as close to her as he can get. It's comical to watch since he will ease along just barely moving and will freeze in place if she looks at him or otherwise makes him think he is being noticed, when she pretends to ignore him he will once again begin working his way in as close as he can get. He sure isn't much to look at but we love the old guy homely as he is.

Moderator Emeritus

Cats can be characters for sure. Last night Oreo did his normal paws on my stomach then he slowly rolled so his head was up on my bicep and his front paws straight up. Funny to watch him stretch and retract his claws as I rub his ears while he lays like that.

Boolit Master
    Poor Tigger went to the vet today, drew blood and an injection to try to get him to eat. He is down to 9 pounds from 15 pounds. Nothing wrong from the exam but blood work for kidney and liver won't be back until tomorrow. Been hand feeding him and spoiling him to try to get some weight back on his body. Hope the tests come out okay

Had to apply for a Care Credit card to pay the vet, my budget is not up to any extra until April... hate when a family member(pets are family) is ill.
    Have two cats with gingivitus similar situation... took all the teeth out of one, took wheat out of his diet and amazing that they can even eat.. but he now eats anything even dry food. I do have to cut some things for him... but you know... he's still with us... loving as ever.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus58 View Post
    Have two cats with gingivitus similar situation... took all the teeth out of one, took wheat out of his diet and amazing that they can even eat.. but he now eats anything even dry food. I do have to cut some things for him... but you know... he's still with us... loving as ever.

It's really good to hear from people who still care for these "old folks", it's appalling at how many will just discard their pets once they reach the point where they no are longer young and cuddly or otherwise the cute pet they once were but instead require a lot more care than when they were young. As I have mentioned before we have 16 of the little critters but we live on a farm in a rather remote area so these guys have room to romp and for the most part they are actually a lot of help, or at least we have convinced ourselves of that anyway! Most of these consist of abandoned pets, some were kittens when they arrived but most were old and/or injured so the 16 we have now represent only a part of the ones we have had in the past few years and believe it or not they were each and every one special in their own way. We have one who is pushing 20, one at 18, two 16 and several we could only guess at but are obviously well "seasoned" by now, the running joke at our vet is our rest home for elderly cats! Yes we have seen our share of teeth/gum problems and the cat does not have to be all that old either, bad breath is a good indicator that something is wrong but it's not always evident so it certainly bears checking out even in younger cats since these little guys can suffer a lot without the owner knowing just how much pain they are in. When a cat starts to avoid food it has become one of the first things we check now and it's surprising at how common the malady is, this is one place where dry food is a huge plus vs wet/canned foods or even the so called natural diets. Dry food tends to clean the teeth while canned food tends to cause tooth decay but OTOH dry food can be bad for Tom cats due to contributing to urinary blockage (which most certainly still can occur even with a 100% wet diet!) so it's kind of a balancing act and these little guys need to be watched closely for both problems.

Boolit Master

Any updates on the Kitty Critter? Truly hope he's doing well.

Boolit Master
    Our cat is a female rescue, named Teeger after the Winnie The Pooh cat.
    Teeger also shows strong Mau heritage.
    The picture of her presenting her claws is interesting. My male Mau does this alot as if presenting his claws for inspection. They often have very large and impressive claws with a sturdy horn like sheath to brace the extended claw. My Mau doesn't seem to be able to fully retract his front claws.

Moderator Emeritus

Tigger is hanging in there but lost more weight. Been taking his wet food, adding a bit of filtered water and blending it to a soup. He laps it up but only eats a couple ounces at a time. He has been more active so maybe getting past whatever is bugging him. Put Oreo in his place earlier when he tried to push in on the wet food bowl. I put foil over what he doesn't eat and keep it in the fridge. Any time he comes to me with his feed me stare I get it out for him. Oreo is not happy because he is only getting what Tigger hasn't eaten on day 2.

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear he has lost more weight, I was truly hoping he would be completely well now. I was just tending my cats yesterday and while working with "Buddy" our 20+ year old tabby pattern "just a cat" I got to thinking about your pet and was wondering if he was doing better. Buddy is old and very frail and I can actually hear him creak and crack when I pick him up, he looks shabby and has quit grooming himself but the old fella is as happy as can be and is otherwise in good health. I will look after him and keep him comfortable as long as he stays happy like that. I hope Tigger gets better soon as I know it can be very disheartening having to tend to one of the little guys when they are sick and can't tell us how they feel, best wishs for him and keep us posted.

Boolit Man
    One of the best threads i've seen in a long time. Ya'll are some great folks.

I hope all is well for Tigger...Prayers sent to the animals and to the people who love them.