RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: A link or list of Lee Classic Loaders that were produced?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

A link or list of Lee Classic Loaders that were produced?

I did some searching on here as well as looking in other places but didn't come up with anything. I finally add a Lee Classic Loader for 38 Spl. just because I didn't have one and wanted to try one - I have no plans of getting "addicted" to them but I'm just curious, does anyone have a link or is there a list somewhere of what calibers Lee made the Classic Loaders in - possibly years of production? If I've missed a link or list somewhere - I apologize.

Probably the only other one I'd add to the bench would be a 32-20 Win. classic loader - I wasn't sure if they were ever made as I've never run across one anywhere - but - in my search here - I see another member was looking also quite a while back.

When I was a kid - I often saw the Classic Kits for loading shotgun shells but never did get started reloading way back then. Now, I wished I'd bought some when I see what some folks are paying for them!

I greatly enjoy using my Lyman 310 sets but these Classic Kits certainly have their place as well in hand loading and have allowed a lot of folks to enjoy the hobby over the years.

Thanks for any info that may be out there on them as far as what calibers / gauges and possibly years of production. I know there are "new" ones being offered but I'm just curious if some calibers were made and dropped, etc.

Thanks.

Jim

I do recall in a phone conversation with Lee that one has to be aware of the differences in Lee vs Lee Precision when it comes to these Loader kits. The scoops use a different unit of measure. ounce vs cc seems to be what I recall but the black box kits vs the red box kits are where the difference lies and you would not like the results of using the load data for one with the scoop from the other.

Now if I could only recall what I called them about....?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

RogerDat - I use a number of Lee dies and other products but the one thing I have never counted on is the measuring scoops or the loading data . . . I always check my manuals and since I only use cast boolits - the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks are my "go to" for loading data as well as the powder mfg.. sites.

Now don't get me wrong . . . I'm not bad mouthing Lee and their scoops. I have one of their measuring scoop sets that I often use but only in comparing to the data, what their chart shows but the final word is actual weighing the charge if I'm using a dipper to measure. Otherwise, I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure with frequent checks of what it's throwing on my electronic scale.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bedbugbilly, I sincerely hope you are successful in finding some sort of list of the various Lee Loaders™ that have been made over the years. Knowing which ones came from their family feuding relative that became Mequon also make up a pretty interesting addition to the mix. I've been able to acquire all the sets I'd really like to have except for 32-20, for which I always seem to come up a day late and a dollar short whenever they appear. An oddball set I got a couple of years ago started out as a 32 ACP and is now supposedly altered to also accommodate 32 S&W Long... I haven't used it yet, you understand, but I do have it. Some of the best loading I've seen done with Lee Loaders™ was by two friends for whom I found sets used, a 45/70 for a Trapdoor Springfield, and an odd 222 Remington Magnum for a Remington varmint gun. Fascinating subject!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

bedbugbilly - fair enough on using the scoops without relying on them. Main point was a #5 scoop (or any #) was different in the two brands of kits despite both being "Lee". I used a LL in 38 special with just the scoop but confirmed that amount of the powder I was using was good using a loading manual, don't think I weighed beyond the first scoop to confirm amount. Doubt this would be uncommon as it is what the kits were designed for. Not the most accurate process, or nearly as accurate as what you do with them which I think is also common (possibly more so). I think many use them as a convenient way to knock out a few rounds to try a load or bullet to refine things before production on a press. For that they would I'm sure want an exact scale measure of powder.

I know eventually I would like to have the kits to load what I generally load with a press but since the prices tend to be about the same (or more) than a set of dies in that same caliber they are on my someday list but I might be smart to not wait too long. I don't think Lee finds them a profitable line any more. Did see a reference online to the back of the Lee Loader 12 gauge manual having a list of 110 different available dies. Maybe someone has one of those and could make a good scan?

This is what they have today. http://www.titanreloading.com/kit-qu...oader-calibers eBay of course has more but honestly not sure I could make myself pay more for a Lee Loader for shotgun than the Load-All shotgun press costs. Even though the kit might actually be less hassle.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Green Frog - thanks - I sort of thought that I might be "X(*&^(% in the wind" trying to find a list of them - curiosity just got the best of me! I suppose a person could just keep track of the calibers that come up on evil bay and compile a list over time but I don't think I have the ambition nor the inclination to do that. I have a hard enough time getting up in the morning and getting the coffee on!

RogerDat - I do appreciate your comments on the scoops as that's good info to have. Like you, I just shake my head when I see what some folks are paying for the sets on evil bay. I got one for 38 spl. for $15 that's in the old black box - everything there and in very nice shape. I didn't really "need" it but I load mainly 38s and since I've never tried one, though it would be nice to have. I'd probably pick up for the calibers I'm loading if the price was cheap but as you say - those sets bring more than a set of regular dies most times.

I shot BP for 50 years and really didn't get in to cartridge guns or reloading until a while back. When I was a kid, I started out with a 1915 Stevens Favorite that was my Dad's (still have it) and shot 22s and a double 16 gauge but as soon as I got a muzzle-loader, that's all I ever shot. I can remember the Classic Loaders being advertised in so many magazines and if anything, I would have probably gotten one in 16 gauge - but now have no need for it.

I have to believe that another generation down the road and the Classic Loaders will probably be one of the "old time" loading tools that will be collectible for some. By then, though, I'll be pushing up grass!

Boolit Buddy
    The "LEE" scoops came in red and black, the numbers were in a decimal of a cubic inches. ie a number 141 dipper was 0.141 ci and that is 2.3 cc. Later dippers were yellow and marked in cc. The red bushings in the LEE Load-All (shotgun) are still marked in ci.

MRC or Mequon sets are built very nice, and they were a bit better IMO.

LEE sells individual dippers, and, for current LEE Loaders, you can buy the load data sheet for a $. I buy the sheet and a new scoop for the old sets I buy at gun shows. Some of the data sheets in the old LEE Loaders is so out of date.

LEE parts are fairly cheap, and they list all the parts online. I've bought individual dippers, data sheets, shotgun resize rings, decapping rods, and so on, to complete sets or replace broken ones or for home made kits. LEE Loaders for pistol come with a neat flaring tool, handy for loading cast with the rifle sets.

LEE parts and tools are available at a discount from several places, up to 30 % off.

LEE, LEE Engineering, MRC or Mequon, LEE Precision, ...... who was first, who went broke, who got sued ????? who cares. Only one left now, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LEE Loader Calibers.jpg   LEE Dippers OLD vs NEW.JPG  

Just found Lee Loaders and this thread. These little boxes fascinate me the more I work with them. I started out with the 38 Special and have acquired several more calibers on ebay and agree that some of the sets being sold on there are priced like they are gold. I have recently purchased a well worn 375 Winchester kit. I do not see it on the list above but one of the pieces is stamped 375W so I am hoping that's what it is.

Thomas
    "Just let it go."
    Don "Big Daddy" Davis 2003

Boolit Bub
    These are neat tools.I started out with these and the Lyman 310 tools. More than once at the range people freaked out when I could adjust loads on the spot. Still need to get one in 7.62 Russian Long.

Boolit Grand Master
    Recently, I picked up a complete MRC Improved Loader in 38 Special from the flea Bay. I actually purchased it because it was complete with the red plastic priming tool which I really like to use. It will require a little cleaning and polishing to put it in tip top shape, but the price was right. I was surprised to see that somebody had also stuck in a set of the current Lee Precision™ paperwork... especially nice since I have most of a Lee set in my parts box. I may end up with two complete sets out of this deal!

For most apps I still prefer the 310 tools over the Lee/Mequon sets, but it's great to have the option there when I want it! The "Whack-a-Mole" sets do have their own special appeal.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I find the Lee loaders especially handy in my reloading of cals. like the 303 Brit. 7.62X54R. I just use the whack-a-mole sizer as a poor mans Wilson hand die. With some careful measurements and a neck turner you can get results similar to the bushing dies and a lot cheaper. If you want to take the extra step, use your arbor press and set it up with shims and you can just size what ever portion of the neck you need leaving your fire formed neck as a false shoulder. I really like them and have several on my want list. GP

It's too bad they don't do the custom loaders anymore. My chance at finding some of the rarer ones at less than collectable prices are very slim. I had Lee make me a custom 25-35 Winchester FCD and it has worked wonders for my cast loads in the caliber.

Thomas
    "Just let it go."
    Don "Big Daddy" Davis 2003

Boolit Buddy
    A search did show that they did indeed make them in 32-20

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7296759

John J

Boolit Master
    I started out with lee loaders, and honestly they made better ammo for me than my press did early on. In fact I got to the point for awhile where the only thing I was doing on the press was depriming and resizing with carbide dies

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm