Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Convederate powder works book

Boolit Master

Convederate powder works book

I found an online pamphlet that was a reprint of a talk given by the man who built the powder works in Augusta, Georgia. Well, There is a BIG book with pictures available. About $50.00 shipped. WOW, I slobbering with anticipation, it's going to the rig with me and I will be reading during slack time. "Never for Want of Powder" from Univ. of South Carolina Press.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not for want of powder.jpg 
Views:	855 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	131125
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

That should be very very interesting...
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Good book, there are several books that give full details on the making of the factory that made confederate black powder.

Boolit Master

Was that the plant that used steam pressure to 'force' the nitrate and sulfur deeper into the charcoal?

Boolit Master
    When finished it was the most modern, efficient, and safest gunpowder plant in the world and it produced a very high quality powder. The Confederacy was short of almost everything but it was never short of powder.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Looks like your finger dropped down one row too much. Good Rig reading. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Looked for e copy on the book. Will keep looking.

This is an interesting read, a history of the confederate powder works BY COL. (GENERAL) GEO. W. RAINS.
    LATE OF THE CONFEDERATE ARMY, from an address given 1882:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24537
    ars longa, vita brevis

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    Was that the plant that used steam pressure to 'force' the nitrate and sulfur deeper into the charcoal?
    I believe so. Here's another online reference -

http://books.google.com/books?id=7n6...0steam&f=false
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

That does look interesting I am going to have to start looking for a copy. As a side note there is a very good documentary on the Hunley and its crew on netflix. FB

Banned

Most interesting.
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I love history,and a large volume of it. Looks like a really good book. So tell us! What did you learn? 's
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Boolit Grand Master
    Cactus Farmer -- How was the book?

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    FWIW to those interested in the book, most US libraries, even the very small ones, can get it for you to borrow via an inter library loan . You ask, they find, and borrow it for you to read. Helps to know the details, like author, but they will work with you.

It is amazing the books you can borrow to read that are almost impossible to find reasonably priced.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

25 bucks in like new condition at Amazon.

Boolit Master
    I now have "History of the Confederate Powder Works" downloaded from gutenberg.org to my tablet. Thanks for the link - this should be interesting reading.

Ken H>

Boolit Mold
    I don't know if they mention it in the book, but one of the ingredients in gunpowder is nitrogen, as in Potassium Nitrate. Urine is high in nitrogen content. The Confederate ordinance people set up programs for collecting human urine and large amounts were saved for collection, mostly by women. The procedure for harvesting the Potassium Nitrate from Urine can be found on the internet. I posted the above comments on another forum and someone posted the results of his research, but I never have been curious enough to look it up.

Nitrogen is a component of animal wastes. Since nitrogen is a plant fertilizer farmers pay attention to the relative content of different animal wastes. Poultry waste is highest. Too much nitrogen overstimulates plants and causes them to turn yellow and in some cases kill the plants. Try urinating on a small spot on your lawn in hot dry weather for test results. Oh, BTW horse wastes are low in nitrogen, not that that means that poop from horses is completely useless for fertilizer purposes, just that results are not so dramatic.

haynk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    FWIW to those interested in the book, most US libraries, even the very small ones, can get it for you to borrow via an inter library loan . You ask, they find, and borrow it for you to read. Helps to know the details, like author, but they will work with you.

It is amazing the books you can borrow to read that are almost impossible to find reasonably priced.

BvT
    Didn't know that. Thanks.