Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Davenport "The Brownie" 22lr falling block

Davenport "The Brownie" 22lr falling block

I recently acquired one of these and its not up to my "mechanical" expectations... what options do I have as far as replacement parts? I have searched high and low (Google and more Google) and can't find SQUAT on them. ANY help would be appreciated. I would love to keep this in my collection but am worried it may be too much of a project.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Kind of depends on what you are missing and how persistent/creative you are.

Missing screws and pins are best turned to fit on a lathe. You may get lucky and find that certain parts from Hopkins and Allen 922s can be made to fit. Otherwise, it's a matter of haunting E-Bay, GunBroker and the various parts emporia. Or filing the parts out of flat stock.

AFAIK, the W.H. Davenport Fine Arms Co., Norwich, CT (1880-1906) made the Brownie in .22 & .32 RF for several years, starting in 1891.

If your rifle is missing parts, you would either have to buy a donor/parts gun, or make the parts.

Here's what the various parts look like:
    http://www.homegunsmith.com/archive/T20885.html

More examples & history, if not parts, can be found by applying advanced google-fu, aka: "Davenport Brownie .22 rifle".

Thanks for the info guys! Mine has some issues in the firing pin/falling block area... so not sure if its even worth the trouble...

Do you have the tools and background to repair or make up parts? I'm guessing that you've already checked and that the usual sources for part of old guns of this sort like Numrich do not have anything?

I'm also going to suggest that paying a proper gunsmith to basically rebuild the action and possibly re-sleeve the barrel is not really in the cards cost wise.

If you have the tools but perhaps need some suggestions or just encouragement to wade into doing the work perhaps post up more details of what is wrong.

Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

What parts do you need ? Jedman

Honestly, I'm not sure... it's a PITA to load/unload and misfires (no full strike) about every other round. Its also just "loose" mechanically... it was an impulse buy for short $ so not looking to sink a ton into it. If anybody was interested in it for parts at this point shoot me a PM and lets talk. I have waaaaay too many .22's that work just fine to worry about this old gal. I do want her to be used at some point but I really don't have the time to invest with plenty of other projects going on.

If it's mechanically loose then it's likely not closing up against the casing head so the firing pin doesn't contact correctly.

The fact that you are either not really seeing this or just plain have too many other projects suggests that your last idea of sending it off as a project gun to someone willing to tinker with it is the best plan.

Stuff like this can turn into a money pit if you buy all the parts it sounds like you may need. Better to send it off to someone with a shop setup that can make their own parts or buy just the things they can't make.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Buddy
    What are you looking for? Trade or cash? What or how much.
    Never met a single shot I didn't want!